iDEA Growth in the News:
- Sports Handle, 8.14.19 – The Skins Game: Following Landmark Deal, Penn National Gains Flexibility To Leverage Primary Skins [Jeff Ifrah mentioned as spokesman]
- While some companies acted swiftly to form partnerships in the wake of the Supreme Court’s historic sports betting ruling, Penn National Gaming has taken a more thorough, judicious approach. Nowhere was the strategy more evident than late last month when the company awarded 32 “skins” to four sportsbook operators as part of a historic market access agreement.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Forbes, 8.13.19 – NFL Expands Data Partnership With Sportradar, Taking First Major Step Toward Legalizing Gambling
- While legalized sports gambling continues to grow in the United States, the NFL has taken a conservative approach towards embracing it.
- Foster’s Daily Democrat, 8.13.19 – Dover May Make Play For Sports Betting
- City officials are expected to ask voters this fall to decide whether to allow sports betting in local bars and businesses.
- Legal Sports Report, 8.13.19 – These Casinos Will Offer Mobile Iowa Sports Betting At Launch
- Eight casinos are primed to open sportsbooks at noon Thursday, the day legal Iowa sports betting starts in the state. Of those, seven are expected to offer mobile wagering.
- Play NJ, 8.13.19 – Garden State Park Closing In On An NJ Sports Betting Partner, Says Developer
- In an exclusive interview on Monday with Play NJ, Jack Morris, a controlling member of Cherry Hill Towne Center Partners, said Garden State Park is very close to naming an operating partner.
Sports League News:
- Legal Sports Report, 8.13.19 – Players Lose The Most By NCAA Fumbling On Injury Reports
- Injury information presents an opportunity for sports bettors to gain an edge, as it has for decades. As legal US sports betting creates an expanded marketplace, the NCAA appeared close to standardizing how schools report injuries during the season.
- Sports Handle, 8.13.19 – Best Ways For NCAA To Monetize Sports Betting
- The NCAA last week announced that it will continue to oppose sports betting despite the fact that 10 states have some form of legal, live sports betting and eight more expect to offer it by early 2020. But whether or not the NCAA chooses to publicly embrace or co-exist with legal, state-regulated sports betting, the association has more opportunities to monetize in this new era.
- ESPN, 8.13.19 – Sports Betting Set To Kick Off In Big Ten Country
- Legal bookmakers will begin operating in Iowa this week, with Indiana soon to follow, marking the arrival of the growing American sports betting industry in Big Ten country.
- SportTechie, 8.14.19 – CBS Sports Reconsidering Network Policy That Prohibits Gambling Info In NFL Broadcasts
- Building off the network’s Super Bowl LIII broadcast in February, CBS Sports will expand the use of augmented reality and deploy more high-speed cameras for its NFL coverage this fall. What remains to be seen is whether CBS will revamp its policy on sports betting.
Overall Industry News:
- PBS, 8.13.19 – How Social Casinos Leverage Facebook User Data To Target Vulnerable Gamblers
- Every year, more people are playing games on their phones, and a category of apps called social casinos has quickly become a multi-billion dollar industry. But are game developers targeting vulnerable users, with Facebook’s help and massive trove of personal data?
- Online Poker Report, 8.13.19 – China Takes On Illegal Online Gambling Sites, With President Xi To Get Involved
- China is taking illegal online gambling sites emanating from the Philippines extremely seriously. The likelihood of this reaching the highest diplomatic levels in the US is slim, although the issue has been simmering as a trade dispute with at least one Caribbean nation for years.
- AdWeek, 8.13.19 – Place Your Bets: Google Will Finally Lift Its Ban On Fantasy Sports Ads
- Google is preparing to lift its longstanding ban on advertisements for fantasy sports services. The change—which will be rolling out in select states by the end of this month—will allow media buyers to advertise across Google Ads and DV360, offering media buyers access to the booming, high-intent audiences across Google Search, YouTube and more.