Industry news of the day:
- Legal Sports Report, 12.7.18 – The Week in Sports Betting: All Eyes on DC, Congress
- The nation’s capital was the focus of the US sports betting industry this week, via bills both at the federal and city level.
- Sports Handle, 12.7.18 – The Week in Sports Betting and Sports: Hatchet Job, Rhodes Island Launches
- It seems outgoing Republican senator Orrin Hatch can’t give up on his dream of keeping sports betting illegal (or at least putting it on a tight leash) in the U.S. Hatch, one of the original architects of PASPA, is circulating a draft of a federal bill to regulate sports betting. But Hatch is retiring and won’t be around to see this bill through.
- Trib Live, 12.8.18 – Expanding gambling pay off for Pa., but future is uncertain
- Metro, 12.9.18 – Quietly, Pennsylvania gets its first sports-betting casino
- Penn National Gambling Inc. has been a boss in the national casino gaming and horse racing field for nearly 50 years; 40 facilities in 18 jurisdictions across the U.S., making it the largest regional gaming operator in the country.
- Online Gambling, 12.7.18 – Freehold Raceway Closing in on Sports Betting, Both Live and Online, VP Reveals
- The Meadowlands Racetrack and Monmouth Park have gotten the national publicity for their sports betting exploits the past six months, but there is another racetrack in New Jersey: Freehold Raceway.
- NJ Gambling Sites, 12.8.18 – Looking Back: Top 5 New Jersey Online Poker Moments of 2018
- The past year hasn’t been very kind to New Jersey online poker. Overall, online poker saw declining player fields, tournaments struggling to make the guarantees, and less game choice thanks to fewer players.
- KELO Radio, 12.6.18 – Deadwood officials leading effort to legalize sports betting in S.D.
- Deadwood gaming officials are pushing for a constitutional amendment to legalize sports betting in South Dakota.
- Sports Handle, 12.10,18 – Missouri’s Latest Sports Betting Bill Gives Royalty To Pro Leagues And NCAA
- Missouri lawmakers seem intent on charging licensed sportsbooks some sort of royalty or other fee above and beyond taxes, application fees and other administrative costs.
- No new federal updates to report.
Sports league updates:
- Las Vegas Review-Journal, 12.7.18 – Investors working to bring Major League Baseball to Las Vegas
- Six years ago, while giving a deposition in a New Jersey sports betting case, then-Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig spoke steadfastly against ever placing a franchise in Las Vegas and railed against gambling as “evil.”
- Forbes, 12.7.18 – Even as it Lays the Groundwork for Monetizing Sports betting, NCAA Denies Trying to do so
- The NCAA says it is not looking to monetize legalized sports betting even as it is laying the groundwork to do exactly that.
- No new member updates to report.
Overall industry updates:
- No new overall industry updates to report.