Industry News of the Day for December 28, 2018
Industry news of the day:
- Legal Sports Report, 12.27.18 – Nevada Sports Betting Breaks Another Record as US Handle Nears $1 Billion in November
- With a record haul from Nevada sports betting leading the way, the national sports wagering handle in November closed in on $1 billion.
- Legal Sports Report, 12.27.18 – WV Online Sports Betting Goes Live, And Two more Sportsbooks Open
- Another state now has online sports betting, as West Virginia’s first wagering app launched Thursday.
- WSAZ, 12.27.18 – Sports betting makes debut at 2 more W.Va. casinos – and via app
- Sports betting is making its debut at two more West Virginia casinos — and on the first mobile sports wagering app.
- NJ Gambling Sites, 12.28.18 – Looking Back: Top 5 New Jersey Online Casino Moments of 2018
- The New Jersey gambling market looks completely different today than it did at the beginning of the year.
- Casino Games, 12.28.18 – Pennsylvania Prepares for a Busy 2019: Online Gambling, Sports Betting, and VGTs
- As the year comes to an end, we must admit the great success for the gambling industry in the United States and the first achievement that comes to mind is, no doubt, the Supreme Court ruling that struck down the 1992 federal ban on sports betting in May.
- Gambling News, 12.27.18 – Mississippi November Handle Increases, Profits Stagnate
- Mississippi’s sports betting revenue in November didn’t beat any of the expectations, sticking closer to its October-levels, noting a slight downturn in the overall performance.
- Calvin Ayre, 12.27.18 – Mississippi sports betting has mild November; NBC eyes betting?
- Mississippi casinos’ new legal sports betting options had another middling month, while broadcaster NBC appears to be staking out its own wagering turf.
- KGWN, 12. 27.18 – The future of sports betting in Wyoming: Part 1
- That’s because the United States Supreme Court decided to legalize sports gambling across the count
- KGWN, 12. 27.18 – The future of sports betting in Wyoming: Part 2
- According to the Nevada gaming control, Nevada’s sports books won a record 248.7 million dollars off the 4.8 billion dollars wagered in 2017.
- Calvin Ayre, 12.28.18 – Delaware North First to launch digital sports betting in W. Virginia
- West Virginia’s sports bettors got a late Christmas present Thursday via the launch of two more retail sportsbooks and the state’s first online and mobile betting options.
- Calvin Ayre, 12.28.18 – Massachusetts cracks down on illegal sports betting
- Gambling regulations opening up legal sports betting are coming fast to many parts of the United States. They couldn’t come fast enough for some Massachusetts punters though, and now the law has stepped in.
- Business Weekly, 12.28.18 – Lawmakers, business leaders discuss 2019 statehouse goals
- The New Haven Chamber of Commerce met Dec. 14 at the New Haven Community Center for a legislative preview featuring Rep. David Heine, R-New Haven; Rep. Matt Lehman, R-Berne; and Sen. Dennis Kruse, R-Auburn. Charlie Hatten, president and CEO of the chamber, moderated the event.
- The Intelligencer Wheeling News- Register, 12.28.18 – Congress Mulls National Sports Betting Legislation
- With all the West Virginia’s casinos now online with sports betting, the industry’s next gamble will be with just how – or when – the federal government will get involved.
Sports league updates:
- No new sports league updates to report.
- Calvin Ayre, 12.28.18 – 2019 Poker Predictions #3: The year of PokerStars
- Lee Davy continues his brief explorations into the possible futures that 2019 holds for poker with a viewpoint that PokerStars will have a rather excellent year.
Overall industry updates:
- Legal Sports Report, 12.28.18 – Who’s Got Next? Here are the Top Candidates to Start Legal Sports Betting in 2019
- This time last year, there really was no “list” of states on the verge of legal sports betting. The activity was, of course, still illegal at the federal level, minus a few narrow exemptions.
- Sports Handle, 12.27.18 – 10 Most Important Sports Betting Stories of 2018
- This year will forever stand alone in the annals of history — 2018 was the year the beast broke free, once the United States Supreme Court swung its mighty constitutional axe and shattered the puritan shackles that Congress fitted upon U.S. sports betting in 1992.
- Calvin Ayre, 12.28.18 – The top gambling stories of 2018
- Without question, the gambling story of 2018 came in May, when the US Supreme Court’s dismantled the 1992 Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act.
- Casino News Daily, 12.27.18 – The News Stories that Gripped the Gambling Universe in 2018 (Part 2)
- We are days away from bidding farewell to a transformative year for the gambling industry.