Industry news of the day:
- Sports Handle, 11.30.18 – D.C. Sports Betting Bill Would Allow Sportsbooks in Professional Sports Arenas
- If the sports betting bill that’s currently on the table in Washington, D.C. is approved as written on Tuesday, the District will be on the cutting edge of sports betting — the bill allows for five professional sports stadiums in Washington to have 24-hour-a-day sports books that are open to the public.
- Legal Sports Report, 12.3.18 – Sportsbooks, Leagues Team Up For First Time In Sports Betting Lobbying; Alliance Supports Royalty Fee In DC
- Some sports betting operators and major US sports leagues are apparently working together to get a law passed to legalize sports betting in Washington, DC.
- Legal Sports Report, 11.30.18 – The Week in Sports Betting: A Small States, A Tiny District and Big Data
- Better late than never, RI sports betting began Monday at Twin River Casino in Lincoln. It’s happening in a temporary space for now, with the permanent book slated to open in a couple of weeks. The other, newer property in Tiverton will also have its sportsbook up and running next week.
- Legal Sports Report, 12.3.18 – Rhode Island Sports Betting Doubles Today with Addition of Twin River Tiverton Book
- Twin River will open the sportsbook at the recently opened Tiverton Casino Hotel today. The facility joins the company’s Lincoln property to expand Twin River sports betting to both state casinos.
- Turn to 10, 11.30.18 – Twin River sets date for sports betting in Tiverton
- Twin River said Friday that sports betting will begin next week at the Tiverton Casino Hotel.
- 13 ABC, 12.1.18 – Sports betting site already paying out expecting Alabama title
- FanDuel sportsbook is paying out bets from people who picked Alabama to win the college football national championship — over a month before the game will be played.
- NJ.com, 11.30.18 – Coming soon: Hard Rock in Atlantic City to offer online sports betting
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Atlantic City is poised to join New Jersey’s fast-growing sports-betting scene.
- Online Gambling, 11.30.18 – New Jersey Online Poker MTT Series on the Up-and-up, but Larger Main events show signs of wear
- Biz Journal, 12.3.18 – Atlantic City’s Hard Rock casino to launch sportsbook in early 2019
- By early next year, another Atlantic City casino will offer sports betting. Hard Rock International and Malta-based Gaming Innovation Group announced last week plans to launch a sports book at the South Jersey property within the first quarter of 2019.
- PlayNJ, 12.3.18 – After Five Years of Growth, the Sky is still the Limit for NJ Online Gambling
- Over the course of those five years, the industry has grown from quaint little product offering to a juggernaut, with annual revenues of more than $250 million.
- Online Poker Report, 11.30.18 – Rep. Iden: Michigan Online Gambling Bill ‘Close to the Finish Line’
- Sports Handle, 12.3.18 – The Genesis of Missouri Lawmaker’s New Spin on Sports Betting ‘Integrity Fee’
- Sports Handle, 11.30.18 – Missouri Lawmakers May Put Entertaining New Twist on ‘Integrity Fee’
- Days after Representative Dean Plocher, (R-District 89) told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he anticipates sports betting “being out there” for discussion when the Missouri state legislature returns to session in January, Senator Denny Hoskins (D-District 21) is preparing to pre-file a sports betting bill finding an entirely different use for a cut of all wagers that the pro sports leagues have sought to capture.
- FOX 2 Now, 12.2.18 – Missouri lawmakers to consider legalizing sports betting
- Missouri lawmakers plan to make another attempt at legalizing sports betting just months after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a federal law that has restricted most states from allowing bets on sports.
- Hays Post, 12.3.18 – Kansas lawmakers begin talks about sports betting
- Kansas lawmakers will get a crash course in sports gambling this week as they consider how to capitalize on a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in May that lifted a federal ban on it.
- No new federal updates to report.
Sports league updates:
- Legal Sports Report, 11.30.18 – When They Say Integrity Fee, Are Pro Sports Leagues Really Asking for a Private Tax?
- Since January, some professional sports leagues, most notably the National Basketball Association (NBA) and Major League Baseball (MLB), have sought payment from states who seek to license sports betting.
- ESPN, 12.1.18 – Deontay Wilder-Tyson Fury Fight trumps football at Vegas sportsbooks
- On a Saturday highlighted by college football conference championship games, the heavyweight title fight between Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury was generating the most buzz — and the biggest bets — around Las Vegas.
- ESPN, 12.1.18 – Fan Duel sportsbooks already paying out national championship bets on Alabama
- FanDuel sportsbook is paying out bets from people who picked Alabama to win the College Football Playoff National Championship — over a month before the game will be played.
- Gambling Insider, 12.3.18 – Don Best deal will specify US offering, says SG Digital exec
- SG Digital’s acquisition of Don Best Sports tailors the supplier to the US market, according to Keith O’Loughlin, Senior Vice President of Sportsbook and Platforms.
Overall industry updates:
- No new updates to report.