Industry News of the Day for December 30, 2020
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Legal Sports Report, 12.29.20 – Closing Time: Flutter And Caesars Secure Key Approvals For US Sports Betting Acquisitions
- Two of the biggest deals in US sports betting are almost complete. Flutter will close its acquisition of the remaining shares of FanDuel on Wednesday 30 December; Caesars announced on Tuesday it had cleared antitrust measures for its acquisition of William Hill.
- Sports Handle, 12.29.20 – The Year In Review: Key US Sports Betting Legislative Developments In 2020
- Five states legalized, many more discussed, and first bets were taken in Illinois and Michigan in March.
- PlayUSA, 12.29.20 – PlayUSA Rewind: Multistate Poker Bill On Its Way To Michigan Governor
- We have finally arrived at the last rewind of 2020. The year has brought a multitude of gambling-related stories (and there will be plenty to look forward to in 2021.)
- The Action Network, 12.28.20 – 7 States To Watch For Sports Betting Legalization In 2021
- Virginia and Washington legalized sports betting bills in 2020 while Maryland, Louisiana and South Dakota approved ballot measures that could bring legal wagering as early as 2021.
- Gambling Insider, 12.29.20 – AGA Exec: New Jersey At Forefront Of Educating Sports Bettors, Media And Affiliates
- Jessica Feil, senior director, government relations at the American Gaming Association (AGA), believes the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (DGE) is at the forefront of helping gamblers distinguish between legal and illegal sportsbooks.
- Penn Bets, 12.29.20 – Growth Of iGaming Helped PA Casino Industry Weather Turbulent Year
- In a year that started out with more legal gambling than ever taking place in Pennsylvania — to the benefit of operators and state government alike — COVID-19 dealt the gaming industry an unprecedented blow in 2020.
- PlayPennsylvania, 12.29.20 – Top Ten PA Gambling Stories Of 2020: COVID, Penn And Online Betting Dominate Headlines
- PlayPennsylvania believes five stories set the tone for the wild year that was wagering in PA.
- Gambling.Com, 12.29.20 – Rhode Island November Sports Betting Sets 3 State Records
- Rhode Island sports betting inched upward in November’s figures, beating October’s total handle and mobile handle by just a few hundred thousand dollars.
- Sports Handle, 12.29.20 – William Hill Expands D.C. Presence With Mobile Sports Wagering
- William Hill, which has quickly overtaken GambetDC as the top handle generator for legalized sports betting in Washington D.C. despite a late start and no online presence, pressed its advantage with Tuesday’s announcement that it has launched mobile wagering in the nation’s capital.
- Washington Business Journal, 12.29.20 – William Hill Launches Sports Betting App In D.C. But You Can’t Use It Everywhere
- William Hill, the operator of D.C.’s first sportsbook, launched a mobile sports betting application in the city in late December.
- PlayVirginia, 12.28.20 – States Of Sports Betting, Part 1: Can Virginia Learn From Other States’ Triumphs?
- Virginia is likely just a few weeks away from the launch of its online sports betting market. This week, PlayVirginia speaks to writers from our network who cover sports betting in other states.
- PlayMichigan, 12.30.20 – After A Rough 2020, Where Do Michigan Casinos Go From Here?
- The gambling industry was just another negative for Michigan’s balance sheet in 2020. There’s hope the sector can be a major positive during a 2021 recovery, fueled by the anticipated launch of online sports betting, casinos, and poker sites.
- Milwaukee Business Journal, 12.28.20 – Sports Betting On TV Broadcasts Will Appeal To Video Gamers, Says CEO Of Fox Sports Wisconsin Owner
- The CEO of Fox Sports Wisconsin’s new owner predicts the company’s planned introduction of sports-betting during NBA and Major League Baseball games will appeal to 18-to-34-year olds who otherwise wouldn’t sit through a live broadcast.
- PlayIllinois, 12.29.20 – Illinois Sportsbooks Numbers: How Each IL Operator Has Fared In 2020
- Illinois is the fastest-growing sports betting market in the US, and operators are reaping the benefits.
- PlayIndiana, 12.28.20 – A Look To The Future: 2021 Seems Promising For Indiana Online Casinos
- Indiana took a few steps toward legalizing online casinos in 2020. There’s still a lot of ground left to cover, but the process is finally underway.
- Sports Handle, 12.28.20 – Georgia Lawmakers Will Make A Run At Legal Sports Betting In 2021
- Lawmakers and stakeholders in Georgia have again started making noise about legalizing sports betting, and some say they will file bills in January ahead of the start of the legislative session.
- Legal Sports Report, 12.29.20 – A Florida Sports Betting Bill Appears For 2021, But Is It Dead On Arrival?
- The latest attempt to legalize Florida sports betting through the lottery has been filed. Now, the countdown starts until the bill all but certainly dies.
- CBS Miami, 12.28.20 – Sports Betting Re-Emerges For 2021 Session
- Jeff Brandes, R-St. Petersburg, filed a proposal (SB 392) on Monday aimed at legalizing sports betting in Florida.
- Gambling.Com, 12.30.20 – Push For Texas Casinos In 2021 Could Lead To Sports Betting
- In the past, sports betting has been a non-starter in Texas. But there will be a renewed push in the state in 2021 to bring legal casino gaming, and that could open the door for sports betting.
- ESPN, 12.29.20 – Nevada Sportsbooks Have Biggest Month Ever With $61.8M In November
- Nevada sportsbooks won more money in November than in any other month in the state’s 50-plus-year sports betting history.
- US Bets, 12.29.20 – Nevada Sportsbook Operators Post Record $61.8M Revenue In November
- Despite a dip in handle, sportsbook operators across Nevada posted a record monthly revenue of $61.8 million on $609.5 million wagered in November thanks to strong win rates in football and parlay betting.
- CBS Sports, 12.29.20 – Nevada Posts State’s Most Profitable Sports Betting Month
- In data released by the Nevada Gaming Control Board on Tuesday, Nevada reported $609.6 million was wagered in sports betting for the month of November. It was Nevada’s most profitable sports betting month ever.