- Sports Handle, 2.12.19 – Tribal Gaming Interests Will Have Major Influence On U.S. Sports Betting
- Tribal gaming interests will have a lot more to say about the expansion of sports betting in the U.S. However, as yet, they have not said it. But, when they do, their voice is going to be heard.
- Sports Handle, 2.12.19 – Animal Care: Washington State Sports Betting Bill Would Fund Horse Racing, Exclude Fishing Derbies
- A new sports betting bill in Washington State that seeks to legalize sports betting and fund horse-racing activities was filed Monday. The bill, HB 1992, would legalize sports betting at horse racetracks, OTBs and tribal casinos. The lion’s share of proceeds from sports betting would be funneled to horse-racing interests, including helping to fund race purses.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.12.19 – New Poll Says NY Online Sports Betting Is Not A Slam Dunk With Voters
- With New York sports betting slowly becoming a reality, it appears not all voters in the state feel the same way about betting from their smartphones.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.12.19 – No Sports Betting For You? Bill Seeks To Ban Wagering By New Mexico Lottery
- New Mexico is a state known for its conspiracy theories, but an author of a bill prohibiting the state lottery from offering sports betting tells Legal Sports Report that the legislation is as simple as it seems.
- Baltimore Business Journal (subscription paywall), 2.12.19 – Maryland lottery and gaming chief: Sports betting is a land rush, not a gold rush
- While sports wagering churns a lot of money, with participants gambling and winning large sums, margins on the bets are only around 5 percent.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.12.19 – What’s Missing From AGA Letter To Congress As Important As What’s In It
- Six major issues appear in last week’s American Gaming Association (AGA) letter to Congress outlining asks for the current session. The missing issue, however, happens to be the one dominating talk within the industry represented by the AGA. The letter, which can be read here, does not reference last month’s Wire Act memo from the Department of Justice.
- Online Poker Report, 2.12.19 – Gaming Law Expert: New Wire Act Opinion Would Lose In Court
- A newly released opinion from the Department of Justice Office of Legal Counsel has created a cloud of uncertainty over the US gambling industry.
Sports League News:
- AP, 2.12.19 – NASCAR shifts gears, welcomes sports betting, fantasy games
- Count NASCAR as the latest sport racing toward the gambling industry. “The more people betting and playing fantasy games on your sport, the more people watch,” Gaughan said during Daytona 500 qualifying. “NASCAR has always known that. They still know that.”