Industry News of the Day for February 15, 2022
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Bloomberg, 2.14.22: First Super Bowl of the Online Betting Era (GeoComply mentioned)
- Roughly 5.6 million unique accounts accessed legal online sportsbooks this weekend, a 95% increase from last year’s game, according to GeoComply.
- SBC, 2.15.22: Entain Foundation US Sponsors Charles Oakley’s Oak Out Hunger Community Project
- Entain Foundation US, the North American-focused not-for-profit charitable trust of Entain, is sponsoring former NBA All-Star Charles Oakley’s “Oak Out Hunger” community project.
Overall Industry News:
- Sports Handle, 2.14.22: What’s On Tap: Daytona 500, NBA All-Star Game, And DraftKings’ Q4 Earnings
- Each Monday, our “What’s on Tap” series previews the week ahead in the world of sports betting. Come here for a summary of upcoming financial happenings, legislative and regulatory meetings, industry conferences, top games scheduled for the week, and much more.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.14.22: The Week In Sports Betting News: Ready To See How NJ Is Holding Up
- Happy worst Monday of the year, everyone. Sports betting news will obviously be dominated by Super Bowl stats for the next month or so but do not forget about earnings season, either.
- Play NY, 2.14.22: Online Sportsbooks In New York Take Nearly $2 Billion In Wagers Over First 30 Days In Business
- New York’s online sportsbooks took in nearly $2 billion in bets over their first 30 days in business.
- WAFB, 2.14.22: How Louisiana Played A Big Role In Sports Betting For The Super Bowl
- The Super Bowl is one of the busiest days of the year, if not the busiest, for sports betting agencies.
- Southern Maryland Chronicle, 2.15.22: Maryland Sports Betting Handle Tops $32.5 Million In January
- In its first full month of betting, Maryland sports betting handle nearly doubled since the industry launched in December. According to numbers released by state regulators, sports bettors in Maryland wagered $32.5 million in January.
- Muscatine Journal, 2.14.22: More Record Numbers For Iowa Sports Betting
- Sports betting in Iowa hit another peak in January and is likely to continue climbing with big-ticket sporting events in February and March.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.14.22: First Year Of Iowa Sports Betting With Remote Signup A Big Improvement
- The first year of Iowa sports betting with remote registration led to record heights, including in January.
- Play USA, 2.14.22: New Poll Finds Kentucky Voters Support Legalizing Sports Betting
- A new study conducted by the Public Opinion Strategies for Kentucky Sports Betting Now, shows nearly two-thirds of Kentuckians support legalizing sports betting.
- Sports Handle, 2.14.22: Latest Maine Proposal Would Cut Commercial Operators Out Of Sports Betting
- New legislative language supported by Maine Gov. Janet Mills would give the state’s tribes exclusive access to legal mobile sports betting, according to the Bangor Daily News.
- SBC, 2.15.22: Nevada Sportsbooks See Just Under $180m Wagered On Super Bowl LVI
- The Nevada Gaming Control Board has declared that just under $180m was wagered on this year’s Super Bowl LVI at the state’s sportsbooks.
- MI Bets, 2.15.22: Michigan Horse Racing Industry Gets A Jolt From Online Gaming
- Not only have Michigan residents benefitted from legalized online sports betting and iCasino, but so have the state’s horses.
- Action Network, 2.15.22: Illinois Sports Betting: Lawmakers Submit Two Bills That Would Update the Existing Sports Wagering Act
- Illinois lawmakers are trying to bring about a beneficial change to Illinois’ existing Sports Wagering Act.
- Florida Politics, 2.15.22: U.S. Appeal Of Sports Betting Case Asks Whether Judge Went Too Far
- The appeal of a federal judge’s decision to strike down Florida’s 2021 Gambling Compact with the Seminole Tribe may focus on whether the judge went too far with her “remedy.”