iDEA Growth in the News:
- Online Poker Report, 2.25.19 – Online Gambling Trade Group Files Third Wire Act Challenge In New Hampshire Federal Court (Founder J.Ifrah quoted in article)
- New Hampshire has become the epicenter for opposition to the new Wire Act opinion from the US Department of Justice. Last week, the state lottery and its technology supplier each filed a related lawsuit in the US District Court for NH.
- iGaming Business, 2.25.19 – Trade body latest to challenge Wire Act opinion (Founder J.Ifrah quoted in article)
- The iDEA Growth trade association, which supports the expansion of regulated iGaming across the US, has become the latest organisation to submit a legal challenge to the Department of Justice’s (DoJ) revised opinion on the Wire Act.
- EGR (subscription paywall), 2.25.19 – iDEA files suit against DOJ (Founder J.Ifrah quoted in article)
- Ifrah Law has filed a lawsuit against the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) on behalf of the trade association iDEA Growth. The suit, filed in the US District Court for New Hampshire, challenges the DOJ’s recently revised opinion on the Wire Act.
- World Casino Directory, 2.26.19 – iDEA Growth trade association submits legal challenge against DOJ (Founder J.Ifrah quoted in article)
- The revised opinion by the United States Department of Justice regarding the Wire Act has many gaming stakeholders up in arms. So much so, that legal challenges have begun against the decision.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.25.19 – Sports Betting Legislative Lasso: Movement In The Middle Of The Country
- Happy Monday, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome back to our legislative recap. We spend our every waking moment tracking sports betting bills and monitoring legislative hearings so that you don’t have to, and this is the place where we try to sum it all up for you at the end of the week.
- Sports Handle, 2.25.19 – Arizona Tribal Sports Betting Bill Gets Name Change, Offers Commercial Venues A Piece Of The Action
- When his sports betting bill got gummed up in the political works, Arizona State Senator and retired Marine Sonny Borelli (R-District 5) did what any good Marine would do. He went to Plan B.
- Sports Handle, 2.25.19 – Basketball Dominates January Mississippi Sports Betting Handle
- With football season over, Mississippi sportsbooks continued to see a drop in sports betting handle, according to the latest Mississippi Gaming Commission revenue report for January. State sportsbooks took in $35.2 million in handle, down from December’s $40.9 million and November’s $44.5 million.
- Tulsa World, 2.24.19 – Oklahoma’s casino industry expects continued growth as it’s now No. 3 in the U.S. for gaming operations
- Tribal casinos were not an overnight hit in Oklahoma. Yet growth of the tribal gaming industry has risen at an astronomical rate for more than a decade.
- NBC Connecticut, 2.26.19 – Lawmakers to Hear From Tribes, Others on Sports Betting
- State lawmakers are beginning to craft legislation that would legalize sports betting in Connecticut. The Legislature’s Public Safety and Security Committee will hold a public hearing Tuesday on the issue.
- CT Post, 2.25.19 – What are the odds for sports betting in CT this year?
- A bill legalizing sports betting in Connecticut never made it to the finish line in 2018, but proponents are hoping for a different result this year.
- Bristol Herald Courier, 2.24.19 – Virginia General Assembly approves casino legislation
- Compromise legislation that could ultimately bring casino gaming to Virginia — and Danville, if approved by voters — passed the General Assembly Saturday night. It must still be signed by the governor.
- Boston Globe, 2.25.19 – Stan Rosenberg on Wynn casino, sports betting, and gaming in Worcester
- Back in 2011, the skeptics thought Massachusetts was rolling the dice when we legalized gaming — after all, this had been a state long wary of casinos, and we were in a regional market some said was already saturated.
Sports League News:
- Legal Sports Report, 2.25.19 – Report: MLB Wants Spring Training Betting Banned In Nevada
- According to a report from ESPN Chalk, Major League Baseball doesn’t want betting on spring training games in at least one state. MLB is asking that games be taken off the board at Nevada sportsbooks, according to David Purdum.
- ESPN, 2.25.19 – NGC declines MLB’s request to prohibit betting on spring training games
- The Nevada Gaming Control Board has declined Major League Baseball’s request to prohibit betting on spring training games. The league had recently submitted a written request to the NGC asking that spring training games be taken off the board at the state’s regulated sportsbooks.
- Sports Handle, 2.25.19 – There Are 250 Million Reasons Why The AAF Has A Shot To Succeed
- After the second game of the new Alliance of American Football season, players, coaches and administrators expected to see checks hit their bank accounts. When they didn’t, a story broke saying that the fledgling league was in financial trouble.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Legal Sports Report, 2.25.19 – DraftKings Sportsbook, Caesars Entertainment Ink Deal For Online Sports Betting, Casino
- The long wait to find out who DraftKings would partner with for broad access to the US sports betting market ended Monday. Caesars Entertainment announced a new multi-year, multi-state agreement with the ambitious sportsbook operator.
- ESPN, 2.25.19 – Caesars Entertainment, DraftKings announce multiyear partnership
- DraftKings will have increased opportunities to offer its online sports betting and casino gambling product in several new states — potentially including Nevada — as part of a multiyear deal with Caesars Entertainment announced Monday.
- Bloomberg, 2.25.19 – Caesars Gets DraftKings Stake in Sports-Betting Partnership
- Caesars Entertainment Corp. and DraftKings Inc. are teaming up in a deal that will give the internet betting company an easier path toward online and mobile gambling rights across the country.
Overall Industry News:
- Legal Sports Report, 2.26.19 – Is US Sports Betting A Threat To Horse Racing, An Opportunity To Copy Success, Or Both?
- At least one horsemen’s group believes the one singular threat to the survival of the thoroughbred racing industry is the spread of legalized sports betting and the fixed-odds model. “It’s an urgent situation,” said Pat Cummings, executive director of the Thoroughbred IDEA Foundation (TIF).
- Forbes, 2.25.19 – Former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie To Be Elected In Sports Betting Hall Of Fame
- During his eight-year tenure as New Jersey’s governor, Chris Christie made it one of his priorities to legalize sports betting in the state.
- The Guardian, 2.24.19 – Gambling trade bodies plan to merge to create powerful lobby group
- Gambling companies are planning to set up a new trade body to lobby politicians as the prospect of tougher regulation of the industry grows.