Industry News of the Day for January 25, 2021
iDEA Growth Member News
- Sports Handle, 1.22.21 – Get A Grip: The Week In Sports Betting: Virginia And Michigan Sportsbook Launches, New York Mulls, Much More
- Here’s the weekend (or fashionably late) Sports Handle item, “Get a Grip,” recapping the week’s top US sports betting stories, highlighting some fresh news, and rounding up key stories.
- Sports Handle, 1.24.21 – DraftKings Now Live For Sports Betting In Virginia
- DraftKings and BetMGM on Sunday morning received approval to launch digital sports betting in Virginia, according to the Virginia Lottery’s website, and DraftKings announced that it had gone live ahead of the NFL’s conference championship games to be played later Sunday.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.24.21 – DraftKings Launches Virginia Sportsbook; BetMGM On The Way
- New options are coming quickly for Virginia sports bettors after a surprise launch this week.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.22.21 – Which Sportsbook CEO Expects To Be ‘Dominant’ In Michigan Sports Betting?
- A new battleground for US sports betting opens Friday as the Michigan sports betting market goes live.
- US Bets, 1.22.21 – Virginia, Michigan Now Have Online Sports Betting – Who’s Next?
- In a span of less than 24 hours on Thursday and Friday, the 12th largest state in the nation by population — Virginia — and the 10th largest — Michigan — both took their first regulated online sports wagers.
Overall Industry News:
- SBC Americas, 1.25.21 – Conscious Gaming: Record Wagering Volumes Signal Bad News For Illegal Bookies
- Responsible gaming organization Conscious Gaming has cited record volumes of US sports wagering over the past weekend as a clear signal that bettors are increasingly eschewing illegal operators in favor of regulated bookmakers.
- PlayPennsylvania, 1.22.21 – PA-Based SeventySix Capital “Took The Bet” On Vigtory; Last Week, So Did FuboTV
- FuboTV has its sights set on sports betting.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.25.21 – Bally’s Continues Acquisition Spree With $90 Million Deal For Monkey Knife Fight
- Bally’s has acquired daily fantasy sports firm Monkey Knife Fight (MKF) for up to $90 million in stock.
Sports League News:
- PlayPennsylvania, 1.22.21 – With Golf Betting Around The Corner, PGA Tour Reinforces Responsible Gambling Commitment
- Just this week, the PGA Tour announced it is officially joining the American Gaming Association‘s public service campaign for responsible gambling, “Have a game plan. Bet responsibly.”
- Online Poker Report, 1.22.21 – Michigan Online Casino And Mobile Sportsbook Launch Day: Live Updates
- After more than a year of waiting, Michigonians will be able to play casino games and place sports bets online, starting January 22.
- Sports Handle, 1.22.21 – Online Sports Betting, iGaming Officially Live In Michigan
- Some big names were part of Michigan’s online sports betting and iGaming launch Friday at noon, as lawmaker Sen. Curtis Hertel made a ceremonial first bet at noon.
- CBS Detroit, 1.22.21 – Barstool Sports Portnoy Uses Online Sports Betting To Help Michigan Small Businesses During Pandemic
- The long anticipated online sports betting is now legal in Michigan and just a click away.
- WTOL, 1.24.21 – Casinos Expect Online Sports Gambling To Be A Hit In Lockdown Weary Michigan
- David Tsai, the President of MGM Grand Detroit, says aside from the convenience, online betting will also turn back some money into the economy.
- Lehigh Valley Live, 1.24.21 – PA Gamblers Shifted Online From In Casinos In 2020, Big Time. Here’s What To Expect Next (subscription paywall)
- Last year proved for Pennsylvania that if gambling is available, people will try their luck.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.25.21 – Analysis: New York Wants $500 Million A Year From Sports Betting, So Good Luck With That
- Following NY sports betting has been a rollercoaster ride over the last two weeks.
- iGB North America, 1.25.21 – New Hampshire Sets Record Sports Betting Handle In December
- The New Hampshire Lottery has reported a new record sports betting handle for December 2020, though the US state also experienced a slight month-on-month fall in revenue.
- Gambling.Com, 1.22.21 – New Hampshire December Sports Betting Handle Up, Revenue Falls
- New Hampshire’s sports betting handle ended the year on a high note, rising 11% in December and reaching an all-time high for the state that took its first bet just over a year ago.
- NBC Connecticut, 1.22.21 – Lawmakers Betting On Bipartisan Bill To Legalize Sports Gambling
- Several years of stalemates have stymied a plan to allow sports wagers in Connecticut casinos.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.25.21 – Could Senate Bill Finally Lead To Legal MA Sports Betting?
- As promised, Sen. Brendan Crighton filed the sports betting bill he hopes could finally bring about legal MA sports betting.
- CBSN Minnesota, 1.24.21 – Sports Betting Bill To Be Introduced This Week At Minnesota Capitol
- Two Minnesota lawmakers will introduce a bill this week to legalize sports betting.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.25.21 – South Dakota Sports Betting Proposal Includes Mobile-With A Catch
- South Dakota residents approved sports betting in Deadwood by referendum last November.
- Associated Press, 1.25.21 – Resolution: Voters Should Decide Sports Betting
- North Dakota voters would decide whether to allow gambling on college and professional sports, according to a resolution pending in the Legislature.
- Inforum, 1.24.21 – Online Poker In The Cards For North Dakota?
- North Dakota voters may get to hold ‘em or fold ‘em if the Legislature puts a constitutional amendment to legalize online poker on the ballot.
- iGB North America, 1.22.21 – High Hold Helps MS Betting Revenue Double In December
- A 14.04% win percentage saw Mississippi’s sports betting revenue more than double year-on-year in December 2020.