Industry News of the Day for January 31, 2022
iDEA Growth in the News:
- Los Angeles Times, 1.30.22: Don’t Bet On It. Wagering On The Super Bowl Is Illegal In California (Jeff Ifrah quoted)
- Sports betting is a giant industry, with more than $92 billion wagered since the Supreme Court ruled in May 2018 that states could allow it.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- SBC, 1.31.22: Entain Launches Global Ennovate Innovation Hub
- Entain has announced the launch of its Ennovate innovation hub, funded with a $134m investment, to investigate emerging areas and collaborate with UK, European and global partners.
- SBC, 1.31.22: Pariplay Strengthens US Footprint With GNOG Deal
- Aspire Global’s Pariplay has strengthened its presence in the US after signing a multi-state distribution agreement with Golden Nugget Online Gaming.
Overall Industry News:
- Sports Handle, 1.31.22: What’s On Tap: Super Bowl Lines, Winter Olympics, And NHL All-Stars
- Each Monday, our “What’s on Tap” series previews the week ahead in the world of sports betting.
- Sports Handle, 1.28.22: Get A Grip — The Week In Sports Betting: Hello, Ohio!
- Here’s the weekend Sports Handle item, “Get a Grip,” recapping the week’s top U.S. sports betting stories, highlighting some fresh news, and rounding up key stories.
- Play NJ, 1.31.22: 5 New Jersey Online Gambling Stories To Watch In 2022 Following Record $1.3 Billion Year
- Online gambling in New Jersey was a lifeline to a struggling casino industry in 2020 and operators parlayed that exposure to a record-setting 2021.
- New York Magazine, 1.30.22: Everyone in New York Is Betting on Sports
- In the first ten days, 1.2 million accounts were created in New York with almost 90 percent of them new to sports betting, according to a geolocation firm that ensures gamblers are actually in the state they say they are.
- SBC, 1.31.22: New York Surpasses $1bn In Online Sports Wagers
- The New York State Gaming Commission has declared that New York online sportsbooks have accepted more than $1bn in bets in just over two weeks since the market launched, according to New York Bets.
- Boston 25 News, 1.31.22: How Soon Before Sports Betting Becomes Legal In Mass?
- It’s been almost four years since individual states were allowed to legalize sports betting and so far about 30 states have so why is Massachusetts on the latter half of the states that are getting on board?
- Charlotte Observer, 1.30.22: Place Your Bets, NC: The Smart Money Is On Making Widespread Sports Gambling Legal
- Given that people are going to find their way to offshore sportsbooks or local bookies regardless — that’s what they do now — widespread sports gambling in North Carolina should be legalized and legislated.
- FOX 40, 1.30.22: Sports Betting Measures Face Off On Road To California’s November Ballot
- Sports fans in California could soon legally bet on games like Sunday night’s NFC Championship.
- IGB, 1.31.22: Hawaii State House Passes Lottery, Casino And Betting Bills At First Reading
- Five different bills that would see a casino, a lottery and sports wagering implemented in Hawaii have passed their first readings in the state House.
- FOX 21, 1.30.22: Impact Of Online Sports Betting Since May 2020
- This year’s Super Bowl will be the second since online sports gambling became legal in Colorado.