iDEA Growth in the News:
- Sports Handle, 7.7.20 – Illinois Sports Betting Drama: Rivers’ Attorney Challenges IGB’s Proposed Co-Branding Rule (iDEA Growth mentioned)
- An attorney for Rivers Casino has submitted a public comment challenging the validity of the Illinois Gaming Board’s proposed rule on branding, which may have ramifications for the development of legal online sports betting in Illinois.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- PlayPennsylvania, 7.7.20 – Churchill Downs Finds New Horses In Kambi, GAN For PA Online Gaming Platform
- Churchill Downs plans to move its BetAmerica online gambling brand onto a GAN platform and a Kambi sportsbook.
- SBC Americas, 7.8.20 – Martin Lycka On The Wire Act: A Legislative And Grammatical Riddle
- Ahead of his contribution to next week’s SBC North America Digital Summit, GVC Holdings Director of Regulatory Affairs Martin Lycka turns his attention to the Wire Act.
Overall Industry News:
- Gambling Compliance, 7.8.20 – U.S. Media Missing A Trick On Offshore, Unlicensed Bizarre Bets (subscription paywall)
- S. media seduced by stories of outrageous gambling promotions are missing a key fact when they tell tales of betting on divorces, sharks and new names for the Washington Redskins: the bizarre bets are usually offered by unlicensed offshore operators.
- SBC Americas, 7.7.20 – Major Sports Organizations Join Line-Up For SBC Digital Summit North America
- Professional sports are finally on their way back, but how did it happen, what role do fans play in the new set-ups and what does it all mean for the betting industry? Find out when SBC Digital Summit North America takes a deep dive into the issues surrounding the return to action of major US sports, with input from the NBA, PGA Tour, LPGA and NASCAR.
- Gambling Compliance, 7.8.20 – U.S. Congress Feels The Heat As States, Gambling Industry Seek More Pandemic Relief (subscription paywall)
- The gambling industry and state legislatures are closely watching the U.S. Congress to see if another coronavirus relief bill can be passed before the House and Senate take their annual summer recess in August.
- Penn Bets, 7.7.20 – VGT Momentum In State Capitol Has Sputtered Out… At Least For Now
- The Pennsylvania Capitol in late June swirled with reports that gambling expansion was again on the agenda of legislative leaders.
- CBS Baltimore, 7.7.20 – Coronavirus Impact: Report Shows Significant Drop In Casino Revenue Despite Reopening
- Casinos are back open in Maryland, and a new report shows just how big an impact the coronavirus pandemic is having on revenue.
- NJ Online Gambling, 7.7.20 – New York State’s Beleaguered Casinos Face Yet Another Delay In Reopening
- New York State’s four commercial casinos — already reeling from being closed since mid-March due to a worldwide pandemic — were sent reeling again Monday over news that Gov. Andrew Cuomo has removed casinos from “Phase IV” reopenings upstate.
- Sports Handle, 7.8.20 – Expect First Virginia Sports Bets Early Next Year
- July 15 is the first of two red-letter dates for anyone with an interest in legal Virginia sports betting. The state’s Lottery will roll out proposed regulations at its July 15 meeting and, as required by law, 60 days later, it will vote on those regulations in anticipation of getting licensed systems up and running by early 2021.
- Richmond Times-Dispatch, 7.7.20 – Virginia Lottery Working To Bring Sports Betting, Casino Legislation To Life
- The Virginia Lottery is handling the regulation of sports betting and casinos.
- PlayWV, 7.7.20 – Who Will Be First To Launch An Online Casino In West Virginia?
- When online casinos in West Virginia go live in late July, it’s likely that casino players will recognize the name.
- PlayIllinois, 7.7.20 – Illinois Gambling Companies To Uphold COVID-19 Protocols, Or Risk Licenses
- Although details on enforcement are fuzzy, the message is clear. Illinois casinos have to maintain the state’s standards for COVID-19 control.
- PlayIA, 7.7.20 – Nebraska Gaming Moves Toward Legalization; Could Sportsbooks Be Next?
- A group of gambling supporters in Nebraska says it has achieved its objective. If that’s true, it could prove to be a stepping stone to future sportsbooks in the Cornhusker State.
- PlayColorado, 7.7.20 – Colorado Sports Bettors Can’t Get Enough Table Tennis
- Table tennis has been the lone constant since sports betting launched in Colorado on May 1.
- US Bets, 7.7.20 – Las Vegas Casinos On The Verge Of Re-Closing After Barely A Month
- The experts have been saying all along that a second wave of COVID-19 is coming, and in the United States they’re being proven right.
- KUOW, 7.7.20 – Four Tribal Casinos In Vanguard To Introduce Legal Sports Betting To Washington State
- Four Washington state tribes have opened negotiations with the state government to introduce sports betting. Earlier this year, the legislature authorized wagering on sports, but only at tribal casinos — unlike the broader legalization in Oregon.
- SBC Americas, 7.8.20 – Tribes Enter Negotiations For Washington Sports Betting
- Four Washington state tribes – the Tulalip, Suquamish, Snoqualmie and Kalispel – have entered into negotiations with the state to launch sports betting.