Industry News of the Day for June 19, 2020
- Deadspin, 6.18.20 – The Odds Of Sports Gambling Legalization In A Pandemic
- 2020 was supposed to be the year sports betting exploded. But a pandemic hit, the economy tanked, and major sporting events were canceled across the country.
- Gambling Compliance, 6.19.20 – Judges Grill Justice Department Attorney Who Claims No Position On Wire Act (subscription paywall)
- It was a brutal day in court for the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) on Thursday as three federal appellate judges scoffed at its argument that state lotteries and their internet vendors should not be allowed to pursue a lawsuit to block the threat of prosecution for violating the U.S. Wire Act of 1961.
- Legal Sports Report, 6.19.20 – Opinion: Clarity Long Overdue On US Sports Betting Laws
- We are now more than two years on from the Supreme Court‘s landmark decision in Murphy.
- Courthouse News Service, 6.18.20 – Federal Flip-Flop-Flip On Online Gambling Seems To Draw Court’s Ire
- After threatening to criminalize virtually the entire online gambling industry two years ago, the U.S. Department of Justice told the First Circuit that it didn’t really mean it and that the judges shouldn’t get involved in the issue.
- Online Poker Report, 6.18.20 – BetRivers Opens Illinois Online Sports Betting Market With At-Home Registration
- Illinois casinos remain closed, but local sports fans are finally able to bet on games again.
- Sports Handle, 6.18.20 – Rivers Casino First To Offer Online Sports Betting In Illinois
- Rivers Casino in Des Plaines became the first to market for mobile sports betting in Illinois, launching its online sportsbook at BetRivers.com on Thursday.
- Legal Sports Report, 6.18.20 – The First Illinois Online Sportsbook Goes Live With BetRivers Launch
- BetRivers has become the first online sportsbook to go live in Illinois
- Gambling Compliance, 6.19.20 – Mobile Sports Betting Goes Live In Illinois As Rush Street Launches BetRivers (subscription paywall)
- Rush Street Interactive became the first sports-betting operator to launch a mobile betting platform in Illinois on Thursday, the latest step in what has become a rapidly evolving sports-betting market after months of largely dormancy.
- Chicago Sun-Times, 6.18.20 – Mobile Sports Betting Launches In Illinois – Finally
- Rivers Casino in Des Plaines, which opened the state’s first retail book March 9, was first out of the gate once again with its BetRivers mobile betting app through partner Rush Street Interactive.
- Sports Handle, 6.18.20 – Illinois’ Arlington Park, ITHA Still Trying To Hammer Out Contract
- Despite moving to the brink of a two-year contract for horse racing in 2020 and 2021, Arlington Park and the Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association have yet to put pen to paper on an agreement and forced the Illinois Racing Board to recess its Thursday meeting for approval of this season’s schedule until Friday.
- PlayMichigan, 6.18.20 – As Casinos Reopen, Michigan Renews Focus On Responsible Gambling
- With many state residents on expanded unemployment benefits and a rush on gambling is anticipated, a renewed focus on responsible gaming is in order.
- PlayNJ, 6.18.20 – NJ Gaming News: MLB Restart In The Works (Maybe); Online Casinos Post Record Revenue
- Major League Baseball is stealing the spotlight this week. Just when fans were thinking there was little hope of a 2020 season taking place, something happened.
- PlayPennsylvania, 6.18.20 – Penn National Reopening, But More Than 1,900 Jobs Gone For Good Nationwide
- Looks like a week of mixed messages for Penn National Gaming.
- Gambling.Com, 6.18.20 – Mississippi Betting Revenue Slight In Partial May Sample
- Shut out in April with casinos closed, Mississippi saw $87,697 in sports betting revenue in May. Casinos reopened May 21.
- Law360, 6.18.20 – La. House Approves 8% Tax On Fantasy Sports Contests (subscription paywall)
- A Louisiana bill that would establish a tax rate on fantasy sports contests has passed the state House of Representatives, moving the state closer to offering the virtual sporting events with cash prizes in parishes where they are legal.
- PlayColorado, 6.18.20 – Saratoga Casino Opens First Retail Sportsbook In Colorado
- The first retail sportsbook is now open in Colorado at the Saratoga Casino.
- Legal Sports Report, 6.18.20 – License Fee Doubles In California Sports Betting Amendments
- While the California sports betting bill remains in suspense, the wait for language on proposed changes to the legislation is over.