Industry News of the Day for June 22, 2021
iDEA Growth News:
- iDEA Growth, 6.22.21: In Positive Development for Gaming Industry, DOJ Declines to Pursue Previous Administration’s Push to Expand Reach of Wire Act Beyond Sports Betting (iDEA Growth statement)
- The gaming industry breathed a sigh of relief today as the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) allowed a deadline to pass to seek Supreme Court review of an appeals court decision surrounding the 2018 interpretation of the federal Wire Act and its applicability to gaming other than sports betting.
- Cryptomoon Press, 6.22.21: Good Bet for US Regulators to Approve Crypto in Gaming (Jeff Ifrah featured)
- In the early years of online gaming, there were no regulatory guidelines. Online casinos and gaming had free range to do pretty much whatever they pleased.
Overall Industry News:
- Biz Journals, 6.22.21: Three More States Consider Legalized Sports Wagering Approval (subscription paywall)
- Approval in Ohio, N.C. or Massachusetts will push legalized wagering to half of U.S. population.
- North Bay Business Journal, 6.21.21: North Bay Tribes Throw Support Behind State Measure To Allow Sports Betting At Tribal Casinos
- North Bay tribes are throwing their support behind a state initiative to legalize sports betting at casinos on native lands, setting up a potentially expensive campaign battle pitting California tribes against cardrooms and online gambling companies.
- Action Network, 6.21.21: Updated Ohio Sports Betting Sponsors Look to Continue Momentum
- Ohio lawmakers advanced a sports betting bill last week after months of negotiations, building sponsors’ hopes the bill can pass the full legislature by month’s end.
- Florida Phoenix, 6.22.21: States Race To Launch Multi-billion-dollar Sports Betting For NFL Season; Fans And Foes In FL Ready To Clash
- Twenty-one states and the District of Columbia are set to go, and nine more are working on it as fast as they can, including Florida, hinging on an approval from the federal government that could reshape the state’s gambling landscape.
- IGB, 6.21.21: DC Betting Revenue Dips In May But Wagers Grow
- Washington DC sports betting revenue came in at $2.0m in May, an decrease of 3.7% from $2.1m in April, even though the district experienced a positive month for betting handle.
- Legal Sports Report, 6.22.21: Arizona Sports Betting On Track Following Public Comment Period
- Aside from a few minor suggestions for changes, rules for Arizona sports betting took another step closer to the finish line Monday.
- Legal Sports Report, 6.22.21: Will Canada Sports Betting Bill Squeak Through Before Deadline?
- The Senate of Canada expects to hold a final vote for a bill allowing sports betting in Canada on Tuesday.