Industry News of the Day for June 4, 2021
iDEA Growth Member News:
- US Bets, 6.3.21: Live Betting May Be The Big Boost Major League Baseball Needs To Increase Fan Engagement (Johnny Avello quoted, DraftKings and PointsBet mentioned)
- But despite all the doom and gloom, MLB streaming and TV ratings have bumped up this year. Is it because the games are better? Is it because Americans are embracing the sport again? Is it because of a post-COVID return to Mom, apple pie, and Chevrolet? Maybe, just maybe, it’s because of sports betting. Live sports betting, to be precise.
Overall Industry News:
- SBC, 6.3.21: SBC Leaders: Analyzing The Limitless Possibilities of US Sports Betting
- A packed issue feature’s Pariplay’s Andrew Maclean highlighting why the growing US betting market was an opportunity that ‘could not be ignored, while Omer Dor, CEO of Sports IQ, discusses the limitless potential to invest in the US space.
- Play PA, 6.3.21: Coveting Thy Neighbors Tax Revenue: Sports Betting Spreads From PA to New York, Maryland and Other States
- The seeds of sports betting growth have spread. Many of them landed on fertile ground. Recent legislative action in states near Pennsylvania provides further proof that sports betting should continue to grow throughout the region.
- Legal Sports Report, 6.4.21: Could Japan Lean Into Next Legal Sports Betting Expansion?
- Could Japan be next into the legal sports betting fray on global games? Much of the world co-existed with sports betting before the U.S. did when the Supreme Court struck down the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act three years ago last month.
Sports League News:
- US Bets, 6.3.21: UFC Parent Says ‘At-Home Betting’ During Pandemic Helped It Grow Younger Fan Base
- Sports betting, an activity that skews younger, is giving the UFC, along with other sports leagues, a boost among younger fans.
- Play OH, 6.3.21: It’s Time for Ohio to Embrace the Benefits of Sports Betting
- Recently, the Ohio State Senate introduced SB 176, legislation which among many things will regulate state-wide sports betting. As with all gaming legislation, there will undoubtedly be a lot of questions about the best way to ultimately structure this legislation, as well as the benefits and potential issues associated with creating a regulated, legal sports wagering market.
- Westport News, 6.3.21: NJ bills to help casinos, expand sports and other betting
- New Jersey lawmakers are considering an array of bills that would give Atlantic City casinos some financial relief from COVID-related declines, as well as expanding sports betting, raffles and other gambling.
- Chicago Sun Times, 6.4.21: Illinois College Sports Could Be On The Board For Football Season Under New Sports Betting Bill
- Illinois sports bettors were boxed out from betting on the Illini and Ramblers in March Madness, but there’s a good chance they’ll be able to get some legal action on the Wildcats, Huskies and other in-state teams when the college football season kicks off this summer.
- Sports Handle, 6.4.21: Louisiana House Approves Sports Betting; On Cusp Of Legalization
- The Louisiana House on Thursday approved SB 247, the bill that creates a framework around legal sports betting. As the House amended the bill, it will go back to the Senate for concurrence before Gov. John Bel Edwards receives it.
- The Advocate, 6.3.21: Louisiana House Approved Sports Betting, Another Step Before Final Passage
- Louisiana bettors got a step closer to being able to start wagering on sporting events by fall if the governor approves the second of two bills that is about to clear the Legislature.
- Online Poker Report, 6.3.21: Deposits, Withdrawals Get Easier For Michigan Online Gamblers, Helping Operators’ Bottom Lines In The Process
- The Michigan‘s iGaming and online sports betting scene now has two new options available. Here’s a look at how user-friendly these new online payment solutions are and how much they increase efficiency for operators.
- Sports Handle, 6.3.21: As Parliament Session Nears End, CFL Commissioner Doubles Down On Legalization Of Single-Event Sports Betting In Canada
- Still in financial straits after canceling the entire 2020 season due to COVID-19, the Canadian Football League reiterated calls on Wednesday for the legalization of single-event sports betting in Canada.