- PlayUSA: IGT Announces Strategic Review Amid Maturing Online Gambling Market
- Acquisitions, legal expansion, mergers, technological developments. Those words could apply to many industries in the United States in 2023. The online gambling industry is no exception. Amid early maturation of that industry in the US, there are opportunities to craft the future. International Game Technology (IGT) has shared with the public that it has retained firms to perform a strategic review of its operations.
- Gaming Today: Suit Claims Fliff Operating As ‘Illegal Sportsbook’ In California As Fringe Apps Draw Scrutiny
- The second great reckoning for daily fantasy and free-to-play apps that resemble online sportsbooks might be underway. The last time it occurred, DraftKings and FanDuel pulled out of Nevada, never to return, and were litigated out of New York until laws changed. This time it’s Fliff under scrutiny in California and Ohio. Lucra Sports, Prediction Strike, TeamStake, and Dynasty Owner are also being investigated by the state gambling authorities in Ohio.
- SBC Americas: Barstool Invokes ‘Constitutionally Protected Speech’ In Defense Of Can’t Lose Parlay
- In all of the Massachusetts Gaming Commission’s adjudicatory hearings related to the launch of sports betting up until now, the operators have appeared, acknowledged the error and provided a plan for how the error would be avoided in the future. That was not the case on Wednesday when attorney and free speech specialist Jonathan Albano appeared as Penn Entertainment’s counsel and argued that the Can’t Lose Parlay promotion offered by its online sportsbook Barstool Sportsbook was not in violation of state gaming regulations because no reasonable person could possibly conclude that the bet could not lose.
- CDC Gaming Report: SciPlay Forms Independent Committee To Consider Light & Wonder Non-Binding Proposal
- SciPlay Thursday announced its board of directors has convened a committee of independent directors to review and consider a non-binding proposal from Light & Wonder. On May 18, 2023, Light & Wonder proposed acquiring the remaining 17% equity interest in SciPlay that it doesn’t own for $20 per share in cash.
- USA Today: NFL Teams ‘Hammer’ Gambling Rules To Players In Wake Of Latest Betting Controversy
- As mandatory minicamps across the NFL began this week, some teams used the time to emphasize a certain point to players: Don’t bet on the NFL. And if a player chooses to wager on other sports, they need to make sure they do so away from the team facility. “We continue to hammer these things home that we’ve got to be very, very careful and understand it,” Washington Commanders head coach Ron Rivera said Tuesday. “The integrity of the league, integrity of each team ‒ and then the players’ own integrity and coaches’ integrity for that matter as well ‒ are at stake. And we have to be very, very diligent about this.”
- PlayKentucky: Ranking The Likelihood Of Each Online Sportsbooks’ Launch In Kentucky
- Kentucky gamblers will get to bet on sports later this year. But which online sportsbooks will be available for Kentuckians to choose from? The Kentucky sports betting legislation signed by Gov. Andy Beshear at the end of March gave the state’s nine horse tracks and the Kentucky Speedway the right to operate a brick-and-mortar sportsbook. Additionally, those venues could partner with up to three companies for their online sports betting operations. Therefore, there could be up to 30 online sportsbooks in Kentucky.
- Legal Sports Report: Vermont Sports Betting Bill Could Be Signed By Gov. Scott This Week
- Vermont sports betting will become legal, with the first apps likely taking bets by January 2024. Gov. Phil Scott will sign the VT sports betting bill recently passed by the General Assembly, his press secretary, Jason Maulucci, told LSR. Maulucci indicated that will happen as soon as Scott receives the bill, likely by the end of this week.