Industry News of the Day for March 14, 2023
iDEA Growth Member News
- CDC Gaming Reports: Scientific Games Names Nick Negro As New CFO
- Scientific Games Monday introduced Nick Negro as its new chief financial officer. Negro succeeds James Bunitsky, who retired after more than 40 years with Scientific Games. Negro has more than 20 years of experience in finance, having served as CFO for companies including Honeywell, Dover Corporation, and Navistar.
- Legal Sports Report: Business By The Books: Barstool Sports Betting Faces Not Penn ‘Employees’
- Barstool Sports is now a wholly owned subsidiary of PENN Entertainment as of last month, but some of its most well-known personalities are not considered to be under the PENN umbrella for the sake of sports betting. Barstool founder Dave Portnoy, Dan “Big Cat” Katz and a handful of other big names are not technically employees of Penn or Barstool.
- SBC Americas: Genius Sports Growth In US Sports Helps To Beat ‘22 Revenue And EBITDA Guidance
- Genius Sports has revealed that 2022 was a successful year, beating its guidance for both revenue and EBITDA, as US operations provided a platform for growth. Publishing its 2022 financial report, Genius Sports posted revenue of $341m, up 41% year-over-year and just over the guidance of $340m.
- PlayMichigan: NCPG Seeks Stricter Guidelines For Partnerships Between Sportsbooks And Universities
- March Madness certainly is one of the biggest events that associates sports betting with college athletics. However, for responsible gambling advocates, the Madness comes from the looming presence sports betting can have on college campuses. As of January, eight different colleges had advertising partnerships with a legal sportsbook. Included in that is Michigan State University.
- Fox 10 News: Poarch Band Of Creek Indians Launches Gambling Ad Campaign
- Thousands of jobs and millions of dollars. That’s the familiar argument the Poarch Band of Creek Indians has made for several years in support of expanding gambling in the state. On Sunday, the tribe launched a TV ad campaign that differs slightly in form but not in substance.
- Radio Iowa: Economic Impact Of Iowa Casinos Tops $1 Billion
- The latest report on the 19 state-regulated casinos shows their economic impact on the state tops one billion dollars. Racing and Gaming administrator Brian Ohorilko says that includes all the money spent by the facilities. “It is payroll, it’s employees coming from Iowa, it’s goods and services being supplied by Iowans. Obviously, it’s taxes that are being paid in stay in the state, and then additional charitable contributions that are made by the casinos,” Ohorilko says.
- PlayMA: MGC To Display Heat Map Showing Mass Sports Betting In Real Time
- The Massachusetts Gaming Commission revealed its intention to install a monitor in its offices that will display a heat map of sports betting activity in the state. During its meeting last Thursday, the MGC said it will utilize geolocation software technology from GeoComply Solutions Inc. that will display a “heat map” of sorts to illustrate in real time where sports betting activity is taking place.
- PlayUSA: Politico Says New York Casino Bidders Have Spent Millions Lobbying Officials
- The number of entities and individuals hoping to build one of the next great New York casinos continues to grow. Local officials and state politicians are among the decision-makers who will choose who gets the opportunity to build one of the world’s future most profitable casinos. Politico has revealed that lobbying firms behind 10 New York City metro area casino proposals have invested millions over the past 14 months.
- PlayFL: Seminole Tribe’s Hopes Of A New York Casino In Jeopardy Over Russian Restaurants
- In 2007, Florida’s most prominent Native American Tribe acquired a larger company for it to become their overarching corporate brand. The Seminole Tribe of Florida purchased Hard Rock International. As a result, the assets of the famous music-themed brand became the property of the Seminoles. That included over 100 cafes, hotels casinos and concert venues all over the world. Unfortunately for the tribe, two of the Hard Rock Cafes they acquired were in Russia.