Industry News of the Day for March 19, 2021
iDEA Growth Member News
- US Bets, 3.18.21 – Kambi Analyst: If You Think You’ve Seen Big Sports Betting Growth Already, Just Wait
- A top analyst of the U.S. sports betting market for Kambi was keen to stress Wednesday that the industry’s progress in the past couple of years should be dwarfed in the years lying just ahead.
- iGB North America, 3.19.21 – Fox Bet Set To Become Authorized NFL Sportsbook
- Fox Bet has announced that the brand will receive authorized sportsbook operator status from the NFL if and when the league approves official sportsbook operators for the US.
- SBC Americas, 3.19.21 – DraftKings Signs Up As Official Betting Partner Of The American Cornhole League
- The American Cornhole League (ACL) has designated DraftKings Inc as its Official Sports Betting Partner this week.
- Axios, 3.19.21 – Welcome To March Madness, Sports Betting’s Super Bowl
- As recently as three years ago, sports betting was considered taboo. Now, 45% of American adults live in a state where it’s legal.
- Washington Examiner, 3.19.21 – March Madness Betting Bonanza Coming With Flood Of Stimulus Cash
- What does a massive, multiday sports contest coupled with millions of people flush with COVID-19 stimulus checks lead to? Possibly a betting boom.
- Fox Business, 3.18.21 – NCAA March Madness 2021 Betting Expects To See Fans Open Wallets In A Big Way
- March Madness, both the tournament and the betting frenzy surrounding it, will look different this year due to the coronavirus pandemic and online betting.
Overall Industry News:
- Legal Sports Report, 3.18.21 – US Sportsbooks Use Free-To-Play Games To Scout New Bettors In March Madness And Beyond
- As sports betting continues to proliferate in the US, free-to-play games are several steps ahead.
- Online Poker Report, 3.18.21 – The Wire Act Court Case Is Over: What It Means For Online Poker & Casino
- The legal saga surrounding the Wire Act is officially over, meaning legal forms of gambling like online poker, casino and lottery have less to worry about when it comes to federal law.
- Online Poker Report, 3.18.21 – How Legal Online Poker Could Help New York’s Quest For Mobile Sports Betting, And Vice Versa
- Online poker legalization efforts will gain momentum from the groundswell of online sports betting legalization in the US, predicts one gambling industry strategist. That will benefit New York, which could potentially legalize online gambling in 2021.
- The Day, 3.18.21 – Ned Lamont And Tribal Owners Of Mohegan Sun And Foxwoods Strike A Deal Bringing Sports Betting And Online Gambling To Connecticut
- Ned Lamont and Connecticut’s two Native American casino owners announced Thursday an agreement that rewrites the state’s gambling laws to allow sports wagering and internet gambling.
- Online Poker Report, 3.18.21 – Full Steam Ahead In Connecticut As Mashantucket Pequot Tribe Reaches Compromise With Governor’s Office
- Things are moving fast in Connecticut, and the state is now a clear favorite to legalize online gambling this year.
- Sports Handle, 3.18.21 – Connecticut Governor Reaches Sports Betting Deal With Tribes
- Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont and leaders from the state’s two federally recognized tribes on Thursday morning announced a compromise that will allow sports betting and iGaming legislation to move forward.
- The Action Network, 3.18.21 – Connecticut Online Sports Betting Clears Most Important Hurdle
- Connecticut online sports betting could launch as early as this year after the governor’s office and one of the state’s major gaming tribes announced a finalized gaming agreement Thursday.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.18.21 – DC Sports Betting Trends In February Another Bad Sign For GambetDC
- There’s rarely been good DC sports betting news when it comes to the DC Lottery-run GambetDC platform powered by Intralot.
- Gambling.com, 3.19.21 – DC February Sports Betting Figures Show Lottery App Struggles
- After the District of Columbia’s online sports wagering app enjoyed the best month ever in terms of handle in January, February saw a bit of a reality check, joining other jurisdictions which also saw decreases.
- Online Poker Report, 3.19.21 – Alabama Senators Take A Mulligan With Second Lottery Bill, One Week After The First Attempt Failed
- Alabama‘s 3.6 million eligible voters could soon be asked to decide on the future of gambling in the state.
- PlayOhio, 3.18.21 – No Bucks On Buckeyes: Ohio Universities Ask To Be Excluded From Legal Sports Betting
- For the past six weeks, the Ohio Senate Select Committee on Gaming has heard from a wide variety of businesses that want to participate in sports betting. Wednesday, it heard from one sector that doesn’t — Ohio’s public universities.
- Gambling.com, 3.19.21 – Ohio Gaming Committee Sets Timeline For Sports Betting Bill
- April is looking like a big month in Ohio for a draft of sports betting and e-bingo legislation.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.18.21 – Kansas Sports Betting Bill Hearing Highlighted By Rep In Barstool Gear
- Kansas representatives discussed SB 84 during a Kansas House Federal and State Affairs Committee meeting Thursday. The bill advanced through the Senate earlier this month, 26-12.
- Sports Handle, 3.18.21 – Ohio Sports Betting Bill Could Drop As Early As Next Month
- The big news to come out of this week’s Ohio Senate Select Committee on Gaming hearing is that there are only two more Ohio Senate Select Committee on Gaming hearings left and a bill will be forthcoming after the Passover and Easter holidays.
- KLKN, 3.18.21 – Is Sports Betting Bills Included In Nebraska Gambling Bills?
- With each approved amendment, Nebraskans move closer to having casinos open in several major cities.
- KCCI, 3.18.21 – Surge In Online Betting Expected As March Madness Begins
- March Madness is underway, and the 2021 NCAA men’s basketball tournament is expected to be one of the busiest weeks for online sports betting.
- Sports Handle, 3.19.21 – South Dakota Governor Signs Sports Betting Framework Into Law
- South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem on Thursday signed a law that outlines the framework for legal sports betting, making the state the first of 2021 to complete the legalislative process and start down the road to launching operators for live sports wagering.
- Politico, 3.17.21 – Amid Yet Another Gaming Push, DeSantis To Meet With Florida’s Gaming Industry (subscription paywall)
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is scheduled to meet Thursday with top officials and owners of the state’s various gaming interests amid an ongoing behind-the-scenes effort to forge together an elusive deal on gambling legislation.
- Sports Handle, 3.18.21 – Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis Is Stepping In To Help Move Sports Betting Legislation
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is once again stepping into the gambling industry fray, meeting Thursday with representatives from companies that operate in the state, Politico Pro reported.
- Gambling.com, 3.18.21 – Mississippi Endures Big Sports Betting Decline In February
- After opening 2021 with a state record in total handle, Mississippi saw a decline in the second month.