Industry News of the Day for March 26, 2020
iDEA Growth Member News:
- PlayIndiana, 3.25.20 – DraftKings Offers Virtual NFL DFS Because Pretend Football Is Better Than No Football
- The Indianapolis Colts won’t play any games for several months yet. Regardless, you might be able to roster your favorite Colts players in simulated NFL contests soon.
- Penn Bets, 3.25.20 – Online Poker Numbers Soaring At PokerStars In PA As Players Practice Social Distancing
- This was not the way anyone in the poker industry would have wanted to see the game experience growth, but early numbers show that efforts to limit the spread of COVID-19 are resulting in a significant boost to online poker.
- PlayUSA, 3.25.20 – PlayUSA Rewind: US Casinos, Sporting Events On Pause
- During these times, we must remember this age-old (albeit cliche) bit of wisdom: It is always darkest before the dawn. Casinos across the country are certainly hoping that is the case, what with nearly all properties closing up shop.
- Gaming Intelligence, 2.26.20 – Washington And West Virginia Set To Expand Wagering Options (subscription paywall)
- Sport and racing enthusiasts in Washington and West Virginia could be able to bet on their favorite events once the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, after their respective state Governors signed enabling legislation this week.
- SBC America, 3.26.20 – US Market Predicted To ‘Surpass Europe’ By Better Collective Chairman
- Jens Bager, Chairman of sports betting platform Better Collective, has tipped the US market to ‘surpass Europe’ in the coming years after revealing substantial growth in the vertical after the firm published its annual report.’
- US Bets, 3.25.20 – US Sportsbooks Begin Taking Legal Bets On Chess
- Chess is one of the world’s most popular games, but it took the COVID-19 crisis to put it on the betting menu in the nascent legal U.S. online sports betting industry.
- US Bets, 3.25.20 – ‘Higher Risk’ – Problem Gambling Group Concerned About Coronavirus Impact
- Many of the risk factors associated with problem gambling are “exacerbated” by the impact COVID-19 is having on society right now, a top problem gambling group said Wednesday.
- Online Poker Report, 3.26.20 – Catching Up On The Wire Act Case — Part 1: A Response From New Hampshire, Neopollard
- The legal battle over the scope of the federal Wire Act is still moving ahead in New Hampshire.
Sports League News:
- SBC Americas, 3.26.20 – Further Setbacks To Sports Betting Calendar As Wimbledon Hangs In The Balance
- The sports betting calendar looks set to suffer further setbacks, following confirmation from the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club (AELTC) that the Wimbledon 2020 Championship faces potential postponement or cancellation.
- Associated Press, 3.25.20 – Washington Governor Signs Bill Allowing Sports Betting
- A bill to allow sports gambling in Washington state, but only at tribal casinos, was signed by Gov. Jay Inslee on Wednesday.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.25.20 – Washington Sports Betting First To Legalize In 2020 As Inslee Signs Bill
- Washington sports betting moved to the front of the line for legalization in 2020 on Wednesday.
- Sports Handle, 3.25.20 – It’s Official: Washington Governor Signs Sports Betting Bill
- Washington State became the first state to legalize sports betting in 2020 when Governor Jay Inslee signed ESHB 2638 into law Wednesday afternoon.
- Gambling Compliance, 3.26.20 – Washington Governor Signs Tribal-Only Sports-Betting Bill (subscription paywall)
- A bill to allow sports betting in Washington state, but only at tribal casinos, was signed into law on Wednesday by Governor Jay Inslee, despite opposition to the measure by the state’s largest cardroom owner.
- OPB, 3.25.20 – Sports Betting Now Legal In Washington State, But Limited To Tribal Casinos Only
- Amid a widespread shutdown of athletic events, Washington state has become the 21st state to legalize betting on sports. Gov. Jay Inslee on Wednesday signed legislation to authorize sports wagers in tribal casinos only.
- The Center Square, 3.25.20 – California Ballot Initiative Campaigns Are In The Final Weeks Of Their Signature Drives And Face The Effects Of Coronavirus
- California is under a shelter-in-place order due to the coronavirus pandemic, but several ballot initiative campaigns are in the final days or weeks of their signature drives.
- Westfair Online, 3.25.20 – Yonkers City Council Urges State Lawmakers To Allow Sports Betting For Empire City
- The Yonkers City Council has passed a resolution urging the New York State Legislature and Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo to allow sports betting at the two downstate casinos, MGM’s Empire City in Yonkers and Resorts World in Queens.
- Maryland Reporter, 3.25.20 – When Will Sports Betting Be Legal In Maryland And How Much Will The State Earn?
- Maryland has joined a list of states currently on the fast-track to legalizing sports betting inside its borders, and there’s every reason to believe the move will be a lucrative one.
- 3.25.20 – West Virginia Sports Betting Revenue Sees Sharp Decline The Week Sports Shut Down
- As expected, the West Virginia sports betting figures saw a sharp decline for the week of March 14.
- PlayIA, 3.25.20 – Iowa Casinos Might Exhaust Cash Reserves If Coronavirus Shutdown Endures
- For Iowa casino patrons, it’s a rough time as the state does not allow internet gaming. The state-mandated shutdown due to the coronavirus could be even worse for Iowa casino operators, however.
- EGR, 3.25.20 – PointsBet Granted Colorado License As Regulator Sticks To May Launch (subscription paywall)
- PointsBet has been granted a sports betting license in Colorado as the state continues to prepare for a May launch despite a lack of sport in the US.