iDEA Growth in the News:
- Legal Sports Betting, 5.10.19 – Mobile Sports Betting In New York Back On The Table In Latest Senate Hearing
- The New York Senate held a public hearing on legal sports betting earlier this week. Representatives from the NBA, PGA Tour, NFL Players Committee, NY casinos, and FanDuel were all in attendance.
- ESPN, 5.10.19 – United States Of Sports Betting: An Updated Map Of Where Every State Stands
- After New Jersey’s Supreme Court victory last year, any state that wishes can legalize sports betting. At the same time various state lawmakers are considering sports betting legislation, Congress is too. Senators Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and now-retired Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, co-introduced comprehensive sports betting legislation at the end of 2018.
- Sports Handle, 5.10.19 – Get A Grip: The Week In Sports Betting: In CT, Looks Like Wait Till Next Year, More
- Here’s the weekend Sports Handle item, “Get a Grip,” recapping the week’s top stories and rounding up key stories in sports betting, gaming, and the world of sports at large.
- Online Poker Report, 5.11.19 – FanDuel Group, Paddy Power Betfair Building Online Gambling Empire In New Jersey
- Paddy Power Betfair (PPB) is riding a big winning streak in New Jersey. Revenue for Betfair Casino soared 83% year-over-year to $11.7 million, the parent company announced in its recent Q1 trading update. According to CEO Peter Jackson, PPB’s share of NJ online casino revenue has increased sharply to an estimated 14% — up from “a steady 11%” over the previous two years.
- Legal Sports Report, 5.10.19 – NH Sports Betting Bill Has Clear Path To Passage After Senator Steps Back
- It appears NH sports betting is on its way to legislative approval after a key senator backed down from a game of chicken to attach a doomed casino expansion to the proposal. With the House once again shooting down his proposal to add casinos in New Hampshire — which this time included language to authorize legal sports betting — Sen. Lou D’Allesandro tells Legal Sports Report he will not attempt to attach the casino language to H 480.
- Palm Springs Desert Sun, 5.10.19 – Some States Are Betting On Sports Gambling, But Progress Toward Legalization Is Slow In California
- At 360 Sports, a new bar in a back corner of the Agua Caliente Resort Casino and Spa Rancho Mirage, more than a dozen televisions stream games and horse racing live to viewers eating chicken wings, mozzarella sticks and wagyu sliders. Video poker machines embedded in the bar sit beneath running tickers displaying information on sports scores and schedules.
- NJ Online Gambling, 5.10.19 – NFL Pursues Sports Betting Wish List In New York After Coming Up Empty In New Jersey
- The NFL and its teams, for the most part, have stayed in the background compared to other pro sports organizations in this nearly one full year since the U.S. Supreme Court opened the door for legal, regulated sports betting in any state.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- The Hollywood Reporter, 5.11.19 – Murdoch’s Next Play: Fox Hopes To Seize Advantage In Sports Betting Boom (The Stars Group)
- Rupert Murdoch has a long history of taking bold swings. Now his newly formed Fox Corp. is betting on, well, betting. The company, created in the $71.3 billion sale of large parts of 21st Century Fox to Walt Disney Co., unveiled a deal May 8 between its Fox Sports unit and online gambling giant Stars Group to launch Fox Bet this fall, the first national media and sports wagering pact in the U.S.
Overall Industry News:
- Sports Handle, 5.10.19 – Under Pressure: Stakeholders Feeling The Sweat As Sports Betting Data War Escalates
- As many 2019 legislative sessions draw to a close, a number of states and stakeholders in the U.S. sports betting landscape are feeling it. Lawmakers across the country are scurrying to get sports betting legislation passed and signed into law in time for football season, while stakeholders publicly testify to common and conflicting interests, and privately negotiate — or spar — over potential commercial engagements.