iDEA Growth in the News:
- iDEA Growth, 5.18.20 – States With iGaming Still Generating Tax Revenue Despite Casino Closure
- Online gaming numbers soared in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware after Covid-19 forced the closure of casinos in 43 U.S. states in March and April 2020.
- The Wall Street Journal, 5.19.20 – Gamblers Drive Hours And Wait In Lines, As Casinos Reopen Amid Coronavirus (iDEA Growth mentioned)
- Casinos in Louisiana and Mississippi are reopening this week, offering a glimpse of how the mostly closed industry might recover in a socially distanced world.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Legal Sports Report, 5.18.20 – The Week In Sports Betting News: DraftKings Stock Rises, As Do Losses
- It was a halfway decent weekend for sports betting news with golf, soccer, and NASCAR. Hopefully, news of more sports returning follows soon.
- Legal Sports Report, 5.18.20 – DraftKings, Fox Bet Gain PA Sports Betting Market Share During Shutdowns
- The PA sports betting market plummeted in April as operators felt the effects of a full month without sports.
- EGR Global, 5.19.20 – DraftKings Secures US Livestreaming Rights For Bundesliga (subscription paywall)
- US operator taps partnership with sports data firm Sportradar to enhance sportsbook offering.
- SBC Americas, 5.19.20 – Century Signs New Sports Betting Deal With bet365 For Colorado
- Colorado Springs headquartered Century Casinos has inked a further sports betting agreement relating to its home jurisdiction after debuting a collaboration with bet365.
- ESPN, 5.18.20 – Betting Has Biggest Weekend Since Coronavirus Struck
- Bettors and bookmakers enjoyed their busiest weekend since the coronavirus pandemic halted the sports world in mid-March, with UFC leading the way and golf and NASCAR attracting higher-than-normal betting interest at some U.S. sportsbooks.
- Gambling Compliance, 5.19.20 – U.S. Supreme Court Bats Down Hail Mary Pass By Sports Leagues (subscription paywall)
- Without comment, the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday rejected an appeal by the nation’s major sports leagues for a hearing on a sports-betting dispute with the New Jersey Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association (NJTHA).
- NJ Online Gambling, 5.18.20 – Supreme Court Denies Leagues’ Bid For Hearing In Horsemen’s $150M Lawsuit – What’s Next?
- The NFL and four other major sports organizations struck out on Monday in their bid to have the U.S. Supreme Court take up their objection to a $150 million lawsuit by the New Jersey Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association.
Sports League News:
- ESPN, 5.18.20 – New York, California, Texas Move Toward Pro Sports’ Return
- Governors from New York, California and Texas said Monday that professional sports could resume in their respective states in the near future.
- Online Poker Report, 5.18.20 – Another Record Month Of Online Gambling Helps Stem Losses For Pennsylvania Casinos
- The story for Pennsylvania in April was much the same as for the rest of the country.
- PlayPennsylvania, 5.18.20 – PA Online Casinos Ride Record Revenue Wave As Overall Gaming Numbers Bottom Out
- Statewide casino closures for coronavirus precautions continued in Pennsylvania through April. As a result, the financial damage continued.
- Penn Bets, 5.18.20 – Online Casino Revenue Jumped 73% In PA In April, Helping Offset Industry’s Losses
- A clearer picture emerged in April of how Pennsylvanians have turned to internet gambling to make up for casino shutdowns, as revenue on iCasino sites jumped 73.1% from March to $43.1 million.
- PlayPennsylvania, 5.18.20 – Pennsylvania April Sports Betting: A Hard Fall and Lots Of Pain
- The coronavirus pandemic continues to decimate sports betting. No mainstream sports meant a big drop for Pennsylvania sportsbooks.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 5.18.20 – Despite Uptick In Some Online Gambling, Casino Revenues Seeing A Staggering Drop
- First, the good news for the Pennsylvania gaming industry: Revenue for online casino-type games skyrocketed 73 percent in April compared to the previous month — from $24.9 million to $43.1 million, according to the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board.
- The Action Network, 5.18.20 – When To Expect Online Sports Betting In New York
- New York needs money in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic that has severely impacted the state.
- CT Post, 5.19.20 – Lamont, Tribes In Standoff Over Casinos’ Reopening
- Ned Lamont wants the Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods Resort casinos to remain closed but talks have not progressed, he said Monday.
- Hartford Courant, 5.18.20 – Ned Lamont Picks Sports Media Executive To Be Lottery Board Chairman
- Ned Lamont has selected a sports media executive from Westport to be the next chairman of the governing board of the Connecticut Lottery Corp. and bring stability to an agency that has faced a series of mishaps in recent years.
- Sports Handle, 5.18.20 – Michigan Gaming Control Board Pulling Out All Online Stops For Sports Betting, iGaming
- The Michigan Gaming Control Board looks to be leaving no stone unturned amid a recent flurry of moves to accelerate online gaming availability that could potentially help lessen a huge gap in projected revenue in the Wolverine State as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Online Poker Report, 5.18.20 – Michigan Starts Vetting Online Gambling Suppliers; Launch Timeline Still Uncertain
- Regulators in Michigan are laying the foundation for the pending launch of online gambling in their state.
- PlayMichigan, 5.18.20 – Michigan Online Gambling Launch Timetable Unclear As Licensing Process Begins
- Estimates for when online gambling and mobile sports betting will launch in Michigan are all over the place, but the licensing and rule-making processes are moving forward.
- PlayMichigan, 5.18.20 – More Michigan Casino Reopenings Could Be Coming Following Gov. Whitmer’s New Order
- More casinos in Michigan could be opening their doors soon after a new directive from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer Monday.
- Legal Sports Report, 5.18.20 – Indiana Sports Betting Market Set To Add Caesars Sportsbook App To Online Operations
- Indiana sports betting will get its seventh app this week after Caesars received approval from regulators to launch Tuesday.
- PlayUSA, 5.18.20 – Las Vegas Casinos Are Eyeing These Reopening Dates
- The largest casino operators in Las Vegas recently shared plans on how the properties will reopen. Many of these casino operators have also released health and safety plans to provide specific details on how the companies plan to protect guests.
- 8 News Now, 5.18.20 – Sportsbooks Rebound With Big Weekend
- Things are certainly not back to normal, but online sportsbooks were able to smile a bit over the weekend.
- PlayCA, 5.18,20 – Many Southern California Casinos Reopening This Week With Enhanced Safety Measures
- Eight southern California Indian tribes plan to reopen their casinos on May 18, they informed Gov. Gavin Newsom in a letter last week.