Industry News of the Day for May 28, 2020
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Axios, 5.28.20 – Sports Betting Stocks Are Surging Despite The Lack OF Live Games
- Despite the lack of live games, sports betting stocks have performed particularly well over the past month, highlighted by fantasy sports/betting platform, DraftKings, and gaming operator, Penn National.
- SBC Americas, 5.28.20 – DraftKings And Sportradar Add Live Streaming To Sportsbook App
- DraftKings Sportsbook has confirmed that it will collaborate with data provider Sportradar to offer live-streamed sports games within its mobile app.
Overall Industry News:
- Online Poker Report, 5.27.20 – Kansas Casinos Emerge From Coronavirus Shutdown; Nevada’s Getting Ready
- While the majority of US casinos remain closed due to COVID-19, a growing number are resuming operations in a limited fashion.
- Gambling Compliance, 5.28.20 – Smooth Re-Opening Of U.S. Regional Casinos Spurs Hope For Rapid Recovery (subscription paywall)
- The relatively seamless re-opening of casinos in Louisiana and Mississippi this month indicates the gaming industry’s recovery from the coronavirus pandemic could be coming sooner rather than later.
- Online Poker Report, 5.28.20 – WSOP Moves 2020 Global Casino Championship Online
- The World Series of Poker last week announced that this year’s invite-only Global Casino Championship (GCC) will be held online due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- PlayUSA, 5.27.20 – PlayUSA Rewind: Louisiana Sports Betting Legalization Could Hit November Ballots
- Legalized sports betting in Louisiana appears close to hitting the November ballot, although one senator’s choice to include technical additions in the bill has delayed the bill’s passage in the House.
Sports League News:
- ESPN, 5.27.20 – The NHL Is On Its Way Back: What It Means For Your Betting Ticket
- The NHL announced Tuesday that its regular season will not be restarted. The league will instead attempt to move forward with 24 teams given a path to make a run at the Stanley Cup.
- SBC Americas, 5.28.20 – NHL Announcement Changes Betting Lines Ahead Of New Season
- NHL betting lines have changed following Commissioner Gary Bettman’s announcement this week regarding the league’s return plan for the 2019-20 season according to TheLines.com, part of the PlayUSA network.
- PlayNJ, 5.27.20 – Carousel Group On The Hunt For Partners In NJ Sports Betting Market
- Carousel Group isn’t just hiring in New Jersey. The sportsbook operator is preparing to enter the NJ betting market.
- NJ Online Gambling, 5.27.20 – Could Independence Day Provide Much-Needed Lift For Atlantic City Casinos?
- New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy has been particularly cautious about reopening Atlantic City casinos, given the nature of the activities there.
- PlayPennsylvania, 5.27.20 – PA Gaming Review: Online Poker & iLottery Peaking Amid Casino, Track Reopening Talk
- Recent news in Pennsylvania underscores that players have adapted to buying iLottery products including Mega Millions and Powerball tickets online, and poker players have similarly adapted.
- PlayPennsylvania, 5.27.20 – Who’s Next? WSOP.Com Seeking WGCB Approval To Launch Online Poker In PA
- WSOP officials confirmed to USPoker Wednesday that they are in the process of getting regulatory approval to join the online poker market in Pennsylvania.
- Penn Bets, 5.27.20 – PA Trending Toward Becoming The Top State In Sports Betting, Online Gaming
- Nevada is the sports betting capital of America. And New Jersey is our nation’s online gambling capital. But if either of those states takes a quick, nervous glance in its rearview mirror, it’ll see Pennsylvania closing the distance rapidly.
- Legal Sports Report, 5.28.20 – Online DC Sports Betting Live; No Apps; But Awful Odds
- After delaying its launch when sports shut down because of the coronavirus, DC sports betting is finally here – but without an app.
- PlayWV, 5.27.20 – Ready To Open: West Virginia Casinos Receive Safety Guidelines; On Track For June 5
- Jim Justice announced the state’s guide to safely reopening casinos in his latest update to the plan called West Virginia Strong – The Comeback.
- Charleston Gazette-Mail, 5.27.20 – Lottery Revenue Continues Downward Trend As Casinos Near Reopening
- The West Virginia Lottery reported that total sales in the state were down $64 million from projections for the month of April during a commission meeting Wednesday morning.
- PlayMichigan, 5.27.20 – Detroit Stands To Lose $600,000 A Day Until All Michigan Casinos Reopen
- Detroit is losing $600,000 a day because its casinos are closed. It will be out $112 million by next summer because of COVID-19 pandemic impacts, according to the city’s estimates.
- Sports Handle, 5.27.20 – Ohio Sports Betting Heading To House Floor
- Ohio’s House Finance Committee on Wednesday moved sports betting forward, and sources say the amended version of HB 194 will be on the House floor Thursday, expected to pass.
- Gambling Compliance, 5.28.20 – Ohio Sports-Betting Talks Revived As Bill Clears House Committee (subscription paywall)
- Sports-betting discussions in Ohio showed signs of life on Wednesday when legislation that had stalled in committee finally cleared it.
- WHIO, 5.27.20 – Legislation To Legalize Sports Gambling In Ohio Moving Forward Again
- A controversial proposal to bring legalized sports gambling to Ohio is once again moving toward passage after a long period on the legislative back burner.
- Associated Press, 5.28.20 – Path To Legalized Sports Betting Heads To Louisiana Governor
- A proposal that paves the way for legalized sports betting in some Louisiana parishes is headed to Gov. John Bel Edwards’ desk.
- Legal Sports Report, 5.28.20 – What Comes Next For Louisiana Sports Betting Push After Legislative Green Light
- Voters will get to decide if they want Louisiana sports betting this November.
- Sports Handle, 5.27.20 – Rule Of Threes? Louisiana Third In 2020 To Send Sports Betting To Voters
- For the second time in two years, Louisiana voters will go to the polls with a chance to legalize a form of sports gaming.
- Gambling.Com, 5.27.20 – Louisiana Legislature Passes Sports Betting Ballot Bill
- The Louisiana House of Representatives on Wednesday voted 71-24 to approve SB 130, which sends the question of legalizing sports betting to voters in the state’s 64 parishes.
- PlayColorado, 5.27.20 – Carousel Group’s National Sports Betting Ambitions Begin In Colorado
- When the sports betting partnership between the Carousel Group and Johnny Nolon’s Casino was announced, it raised a few eyebrows.
- PlayNevada, 5.27.20 – The First Nevada Casinos Will Reopen On June 4
- On Tuesday night, Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak announced that casinos throughout the Silver State will be able reopen on June 4.
- US Bets, 5.27.20 – Nevada Commission Approves Return Of UFC And Boxing, Providing Sports Betting Bump
- At a digital hearing Wednesday morning to approve COVID-19 protocols and plans for two upcoming UFC fight cards and two Top Rank boxing cards, the Nevada State Athletic Commission signed off on all motions quickly and without drama.
- Legal Sports Report, 5.28.20 – California Sports Betting Is Apparently In Play During State Budget Battle
- With California facing a budget deficit in excess of $50 billion, Assemblyman Adam Gray reportedly pitched the idea of legalizing sports betting as a way to help eliminate some of the proposed cuts.