iDEA Growth Member News:
- Legal Sports Report, 11.14.19 – Yahoo Sports, BetMGM Launch Yahoo Sportsbook Today (GVC Holdings, DraftKings)
- Yahoo Sportsbook will officially launch today, with users seeing the revamped app in a marketing deal with BetMGM.
- Play Pennsylvania, 11.14.19 – Unibet Launches PA Online Casino And Sportsbook
- Unibet, a global online gambling operator, is conducting a soft-launch of its platform that includes an online casino integrated with a sports betting app.
- Play NJ, 11.13.19 – Where The Cards Fell In Pokerstars’ First Sunday In New Jersey And Pennsylvania
- Every week, tournament poker players from around the world wait for Sunday. All the major tournaments on all the major sites run on Sundays. After PokerStars launched in Pennsylvania last week, Pennsylvanians once again felt the anticipation of the Sunday grind.
- Los Angeles Times, 11.13.19 – Native American Tribes Propose Initiative To Legalize Sports Betting In California
- Betting on Los Angeles Lakers and Rams games would be legal in California under an initiative proposed Wednesday by a coalition of Native American tribes who want a piece of the action.
- Sports Handle, 11.14.19 – California Dreaming? Tribes Take First Step Toward Legal Sports Betting
- California’s tribal gaming community on Wednesday took the first step toward legal sports betting in the most populous state in the nation — and it did so without going through the state general assembly.
- Legal Sports Report, 11.13.19 – Why This Try To Legalize California Sports Betting Might Stick
- This could be the attempt to legalize California sports betting that catches. A powerful coalition of Native American tribes filed this week a ballot measure for the 2020 election to change the state constitution to allow California sports betting.
- Online Poker Report, 11.13.19 – New Jersey Gets Taste Of Esports Betting With League Of Legends Championship
- In a first for the Garden State, the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (NJDGE) granted its sportsbooks the ability to accept wagers on an esports event.
- Gambling Compliance, 11.14.19 – Chicago Casino Proposal On Thin Ice Entering Last Session Day Of 2019 (subscription paywall)
- Efforts to improve the tax structure of a new Chicago casino to make it financially viable appear to be on life support heading into the final day of the Illinois legislature’s veto session.
- Gambling Compliance, 11.14.19 – Kentucky Sports Betting Possible In 2020, Casinos A No-Go (subscription paywall)
- On Thursday, every county board in Kentucky will meet to recanvass the results of the November 5 election for governor, an election narrowly won by Democrat Andy Beshear who has been a long-time supporter of expanding gambling in the state.
- WDRB, 11.13.19 – Republican State Legislator Plans To File Sports Wagering Bill
- Neighboring states appear to be winning big on sports betting, and a state legislator plans to get the ball rolling in Kentucky.
- Hartford Courant, 11.13.19 – Senate Democrats Considering Legalizing Marijuana And Sports Betting As Alternative Ways To Fund Gov. Ned Lamont’s Transportation Plan Without Tolls
- Reluctant to vote in favor of highway tolls in an election year, Democrats in the state Senate are considering legalizing recreational marijuana and sports betting as alternative ways to fund Gov. Ned Lamont’s new transportation plan.
- Connecticut Post, 11.13.19 – Democrats A Roadblock To Lamont’s Toll Plan
- The Senate Democratic majority effectively took highway tolls off the table Wednesday as a means to leverage low-cost federal financing of Gov. Ned Lamont’s sweeping $21 billion plan to maintain and modernize Connecticut’s aging transportation infrastructure over the next decade.
- Play USA, 11.13.19 – 3 Key Things To Note From Indiana’s October Sports Betting Revenue Report
- Indiana sports betting is showing its true colors to the tune of $91.7 million in handle for the month of October — a whopping 160% increase from the previous month.
- WSN, 11.14.19 – Iowa Sees Encouraging Signs For Sports Betting Growth
- Iowa bettors continued to enjoy the state’s recent legalization of wagering as the sportsbooks increased their handle from $38.5 million in September to $46.5 million last month.
- NJ Online Gaming, 11.13.19 – New York Casinos Post Meager Sports Betting Numbers In October
- New Jersey’s mobile sports betting platforms already have enabled the state to rival defending champion Nevada’s monthly handle – although Nevada reclaimed the crown in September. But a look at the just-released New York State revenues for October show that state coming up small even in a retail vs. retail comparison.
- The Daily Gazette, 11.13.19 – Foss: Time To Consider Online Sports Betting?
- New York’s sports betting revenues trail every other state’s, and you don’t have to go very far to realize just how much money the Empire State is losing out.
- Law360, 11.13.19 – Federal Laws Continue To Hinder State Sports Betting Trend (subscription paywall)
- On Nov. 5, the voters of Colorado narrowly approved a ballot measure, Proposition DD, making the Centennial State the 19th state (plus Washington, D.C.) to legalize sports gambling in the country. Colorado thus joined a wave of gambling expansion that has grown state by state since the U.S. Supreme Court invalidated the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act, or PASPA, in May 2018.
Sports League News:
- ESPN, 11.12.19 – The Impact Of Adam Silver’s Sports Betting Op-Ed Five Years Later
- NBA commissioner Adam Silver had a lot to consider in the fall of 2014, when he sat down to write an op-ed that would pivot the league’s longstanding opposition to sports betting.
- Sports Handle, 11.13.19 – PGA Tour Mindful Of Data Piracy Risks As Launch Of Shot-By-Shot Betting Nears
- The PGA Tour is rolling out expanded prop betting for the 2020 season, providing bettors with ample opportunity to wager on their favorite golfers on a granular, shot-by-shot basis.