Industry News of the Day for November 19, 2019
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Online Poker Report, 11.18.19 – Can Unibet Make A Dent In The Pennsylvania Online Gambling Industry?
- Unibet fully launched, offering Pennsylvania online gambling on Friday, following a three-day, soft-launch testing period that began on Tuesday.
- SBC Americas, 11.18.19 – Kindred Brings Online Betting To Mohegan Sun Pocono Sportsbook
- Just weeks after launching the Unibet Sportsbook at Mohegan Sun Pocono, Kindred Group has gone live with both online sports and casino betting at the Pennsylvania venue. The firm described the development as its “next significant step in the US market.”
- Inside Sport, 11.18.19 – Sportradar White Paper Highlights How Data Is Transforming The Fan Experience
- Sportradar has released its second OTT white paper, ‘The Future of the OTT Experience’, in which it examines how rights holders and content owners can maximise sports data and statistical insights to heighten engagement amongst modern viewers.
- Yogonet, 11.19.19 – Paysafe Wins Two Payments Awards 2019
- Paysafe has won in two categories at the Payments Awards, which took place in London on Wednesday, 13 November. The company was named winner of the ‘Best Online Payments Solution – Consumer’ and ‘Blockchain or Cryptocurrency Initiative of the Year’ in partnership with Coinbase.
- Legal Sports Report, 11.18.19 – The Week In Sports Betting News: California Tribes Might Go It Alone
- Legal Sports Report recaps the biggest sports betting news from last week.
- Gambling Compliance, 11.19.19 – New Hampshire, Rhode Island Filling Sports Betting Void In Massachusetts (subscription paywall)
- As two sports-betting bills continue to languish in the Massachusetts legislature since their introduction in January, lawmakers are being forced to consider the measures due to competition from New Hampshire and Rhode Island.
Overall Industry News:
- Business Insider, 11.18.19 – A VC Who Invested In FanDuel Early Says There’s An Opportunity For Sports Gambling Startups That Target Different Kinds Of Bettors
- Bullpen Capital general partner Paul Martino thought his firm’s $140 million venture fund would have made two or three investments in sports-betting startups in the 18 months since the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act, a federal law that banned sports gambling in most US states, was overturned by the Supreme Court.
- Play NJ, 11.18.19 – Another One Bites The Dust: NJ Online Casinos Shatter Another Revenue Record
- When will New Jersey online casinos stop growing? That is the question that comes up every month as the Division of Gaming Enforcement (DGE) releases the monthly online casino revenue figures.
- NJ Online Gambling, 11.18.19 – The Secret Files In The New Jersey Sports Betting Saga: Why The Suppression Is Unlikely To Last
- It is tantalizing to imagine heavily redacted depositions by various pro sports league executives taken in 2012 finally being released in full to the public.
- Legal Sports Report, 11.18.19 – More Mobile, More Growth: PA Sports Betting Surges Again In October
- Pennsylvania sports betting topped September’s handle record in October easily, in large part thanks to another strong performance by FanDuel Sportsbook.
- Play Pennsylvania, 11.18.19 – PA Sports Betting Climbs To New Record With Almost $250 Million In Wagers
- A second full month of NFL action combined with a full-swing college football season sent PA sports betting handle soaring to $241 million. The October numbers shattered the previous month’s record of $195 million.
- Legal Sports Report, 11.18.19 – Florida Sports Betting Bills Pop Up For 2020; State Lottery Would Be In Charge
- Florida will take a crack at legalizing sports betting via the state’s lottery, in bills filed in the state legislature on Monday. But its prospects seem uncertain given the political landscape in the state.
- Sports Handle, 11.18.19 – Florida Bill Would Allow Mobile Sports Betting With Lottery In Charge
- Florida lawmakers are gearing up to give sports betting another go in 2020. On Monday morning, Republican Senator Jeff Brandes filed a trio of bills, SB 968, SB 970 and SB 972 that appear to allow for state-wide mobile sports betting run by the Florida Lottery.
- Gambling Compliance, 11.19.19 – California Tribes Take First Step On A Long Road To Sports Betting (subscription paywall)
- A coalition of California Indian tribes has proposed to amend the state constitution to allow tribal casinos and racetracks to offer retail sports wagering, leaving out the state’s cardroom industry and keeping mobile bets off-limits.
- Hartford Courant, 11.18.19 – California Voters Could Get Chance At Approving Sports Betting
- California voters could get a chance next year to approve sports betting – in a growing trend across the nation that has escaped Connecticut so far.
- Law360, 11.18.19 – DC Says No-Bid Sports Betting Contract Was Legal (subscription paywall)
- Washington, D.C., municipal lawmakers have told the D.C. Superior Court that the city was acting within its authority when it awarded a $215 million sports betting contract, urging the court to shoot down arguments by an app developer who says the city illegally circumvented federal law.
- Play IA, 11.18.19 – Iowa Sports Betting Revenue Growth Stagnant In October
- In September, there were seven Iowa legal sportsbooks offering bettors an online wagering option. In October, that number remained. Accordingly, Iowa sports betting revenue didn’t grow much either month over month.