Industry News of the Day for September 17, 2020
EGR US Power Virtual Summit:
The EGR Power Virtual Summit is today, and iDEA Growth founder Jeff Ifrah will moderate an interactive Q&A with key regulators from some of the fastest growing states in the online gaming market. Check It Out.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- ESPN, 9.17.20 – BCCI Signs Up Sportradar To Detect Betting Irregularities During IPL 2020
- The BCCI has roped in UK-based company Sportradar to detect betting irregularities during IPL 2020.
- PlayUSA, 9.16.20 – DraftKings’ Sportsbook Director On Business, Underdogs, Home-Field Booming
- PlayUSA spoke with DraftKings Sportsbook Director Johnny Avello as he eagerly awaited a two-game Monday Night Football slate.
Overall Industry News:
- Legal Sports Report, 9.17.20 – AGA Launches Responsible Sports Betting Marketing Enforcement
- The US sports betting industry is getting an active responsible marketing watchdog.
- Gambling Compliance, 9.17.20 – Increased Customer Data Making US Casinos Cybercrime Targets (subscription paywall)
- The increased amount of data being collected by casinos on their customers has led to increasing risk of cyber-attacks, according to industry experts.
- Gambling Compliance, 9.17.20 – Stalled Coronavirus Bill Raises Stakes For Cash-Strapped States (subscription paywall)
- As the campaign trail beckons in this election year, the U.S. Congress is posed once again to abandon casinos and other industries seeking relief to cope with the devastating impact of coronavirus.
- US Bets, 9.17.20 – Million-Dollar Memo? IRS Guidance Could Be Costly For DFS Companies
- In late August, the Internal Revenue Service handed down a memo in which it determined that daily fantasy sports are, in the agency’s determination, equivalent to sports betting, and that as such, daily fantasy operators should be subject to a federal excise tax.
Sports League News:
- ESPN, 9.16.20 – Big Ten Football To Resume Weekend Of Oct. 24
- The Big Ten will kick off its football season the weekend of Oct. 24 after the league’s presidents and chancellors unanimously voted to resume competition, citing daily testing capabilities and a stronger confidence in the latest medical information, the conference announced Wednesday morning.
- PlayNJ, 9.16.20 – 5 Reasons Why NJ Online Casinos Will Continue On A Record-Setting Pace
- One month in the very near future, the NJ online casino industry has a very good chance of reporting its first-ever $90-million month.
- Legal Sports Report, 9.16.20 – PA Sports Betting Market Joins Record-Breakers In August
- Add Pennsylvania to the list of states that saw huge sports betting growth in August on the backs of pent-up demand and a full sports calendar.
- PlayPennsylvania, 9.16.20 – Pennsylvania Sports Betting Sets All-Time Record $365 Million Handle as Sports Return
- PA sports betting handle reached nearly $365 million in August, setting a new all-time high.
- Penn Bets, 9.16.20 – August Sets Pennsylvania Record For Both Sports Betting And Online Casino Play
- The unusual COVID-created sports calendar in August led to a record month for legal sports wagering in Pennsylvania, with bettors risking $365 million collectively on the NBA, NHL, MLB, and other contests.
- iGB North America, 9.17.20 – iGaming And Sports Betting Push PA Revenue Up In August
- The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board (PGCB) has reported a 5.8% year-on-year increase in revenue in August, driven by igaming and sports betting growth.
- iGB North America, 9.17.20 – Delaware iGaming Growth Continues Into August
- Online gambling revenue in the state of Delaware totalled $808,623 in August, up 263.4% year-on-year and also an improvement on July’s figures.
- Washington Post, 9.16.20 – A DC Sports Betting App Was Supposed To Raise Millions For The City. It’s Off To A Rough Start.
- The legalization of sports betting in D.C. has yet to deliver the windfall to the city treasury that officials promised, with the project hobbled by the coronavirus, legal challenges that slowed the launch of the industry and flaws in the city-owned betting app.
- PlayVirginia, 9.16.20 – A Closer Look At The Official Sports Betting Regulations
- The Virginia Lottery Board finalized the VA sports betting regulations this week, incorporating much of the feedback from the open comment period.
- Local DVM, 9.16.20 – Maryland Voters To Decide In November To Legalize Sports Gambling
- Maryland residents can place wagers at the race track, at a casino — table games and slot machines, but not sports betting.
- PlayMichigan, 9.16.20 – Quick Testimony A Good Sign For Michigan Online Poker Pooling
- Curtis Hertel testified for less than three minutes on Tuesday to the Senate’s Regulatory Reform Committee in an effort to allow Michigan online poker sites to compact with other states offering online poker like Nevada, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
- PlayMichigan, 9.16.20 – Big Ten Play Back On, Expect Teams Up On MI Betting Boards Soon
- In a reversal of course, university leaders voted unanimously to begin football season next month. It’s an important development for the Michigan sports betting industry.
- Legal Sports Report, 9.16.20 – Illinois Tops $50 Million In Sports Betting Handle IN July; Fifth Sportsbook App Goes Live
- Illinois sportsbooks took $52.5 million in bets in their first full month of operation in July according to data released by the state.
- Chicago Sun-Times, 9.16.20 – Illinois Racks Up Nearly $62M Sports Betting Handle Since Pandemic-Spoiled Launch
- So far, soccer has been the most popular sport to bet on, drawing almost $24.8 million in bets, followed by baseball at about $18.5 million.
- PlayIllinois, 9.16.20 – Staggering Percentage Of Illinois Sports Bets Placed Online In July, Per Revenue Report
- The Illinois Gaming Board (IGB) released the report on Tuesday, the first of its kind in the state. For those screaming from the mountaintops about the importance of mobile registration, consider this validation.
- PlayIllinois, 9.16.20 – William Hill App Debuts In Illinois In Time For Cubs-Indians Betting
- The apps available to sports bettors in Illinois just keep growing. This week, William Hill launched its online betting app in the state.
- Gambling.Com, 9.16.20 – Mississippi August Sports Betting Up More Than 400% Over July
- Mississippi saw sports betting increase in August and was up 411.4% over July and 103.7% percent over August 2019.
- KTVH, 9.16.20 – Sports Betting In Montana Gains Momentum With Kickoff Of NFL Season
- Legal sports betting in Montana has not been performing as expected thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic and shutdown.
- Associated Press, 9.16.20 – Oklahoma Supreme Court Denies Hearing On Tribal Compacts
- The Oklahoma Supreme Court rejected Gov. Kevin Stitt’s attempt for another hearing regarding the court’s earlier ruling that deemed the state’s tribal gaming compacts with two Native American tribes invalid.
- PlayCA, 9.16.20 – Tribes Get More Time On CA Sports Betting Ballot Initiative
- California Native American tribes are getting another two months to gather signatures on their sports betting ballot initiative.