iDEA Growth in the News:
- DCist, 5.18.21: Sports Betting Becomes Legal in Maryland, Echoes Lessons Learned From Marijuana (Jeff Ifrah quoted)
- With legal sports betting going into effect June 1, state officials aren’t only focused on how much money the new industry will bring in — but also who gets to make money from it. And in that, they say they’ve learned lessons from another revenue source: marijuana.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- SBC, 5.19.21: Socure To Provide DraftKings With Additional Compliance Tools
- Michael Goonan, Senior Account Executive at Socure, spoke with SBC Americas to discuss their recent agreement with DraftKings, touching upon ways in which Socure will help streamline the operator’s onboarding processes.
- Play Illinois, 5.18.21: DraftKings Serves Up No-Brainer Promos For The NBA Playoffs
- The NBA Playoffs are here, and DraftKings is dishing out some enticing offers as the action gets underway.
- Play VA, 5.18.21: As NBA Playoffs Arrive, It’s Time To ‘Hammer The Over’ And Cash In At DraftKings
- What better way to welcome the arrival of the NBA Playoffs than another as-good-as-free-cash “Hammer the Over” promotion?
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 5.18.21: FanDuel to open tech hub in Atlanta that promises 900 jobs
- The sports gambling giant FanDuel said Tuesday that it will bring more than 900 jobs to metro Atlanta over the next five years to run a new hub that will focus on the company’s product development and IT operations.
- Action Network, 5.18.21: Maryland Sports Betting Bill Signed Into Law: Here’s What Comes Next (DraftKings, FanDuel mentioned)
- Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan signed his state’s online and retail sports betting law Tuesday, the final formality ahead of an anticipated launch by fall 2021.
Overall Industry News:
- IGB, 5.18.21: NCPG Launches Support Campaign For Military Members
- The National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG) has launched its Operation Responsible Gambling campaign, which aims to support members of the military community who are affected by gambling-related harm.
- IGB, 5.19.21: Florida Gaming Compact Approved By Senate
- A compact that would allow Florida’s Seminole Tribe to offer sports betting in the US state has been approved by the state’s Senate
- Legal Sports Report, 5.19.21: LSR Q&A: Rep. Chip LaMarca On FL Sports Betting Alternative Paths Forward (DraftKings mentioned)
- Florida’s special legislative session draws to a close on Wednesday, with one crucial vote remaining on FL sports betting. Ahead of that crucial final session, LSR caught up with state Rep. Chip LaMarca, R-Broward County, for a quick-fire briefing.
- South Florida Sun Sentinel, 5.18.21: Gov. DeSantis’ Gambling Deal With Legal Sports Betting Gets Senate Approval
- Gov. Ron DeSantis’ gambling deal with the Seminole Tribe of Florida is sailing through the Florida Legislature.
District of Columbia:
- IGB, 5.19.21: DC Sports Betting Revenue Rises In April Despite 29.6% Handle Drop
- Sports betting revenue in Washington DC climbed 10.5% month-on-month to $2.1m in April despite a 29.6% decline in stakes.
- IGB, 5.18.21: Pennsylvania Sets Revenue Record As Casinos Re-open In April
- The state of Pennsylvania generated gaming revenue figures of $404.1m (£284.9m/€331.0m) for April, a massive 776.2% increase on the same month last year when casinos were closed due to coronavirus restrictions and slightly ahead of the record set in March.
- Legal Sports Report, 5.18.21: Pennsylvania Sportsbooks Fare Better Than Neighbors In Slow April
- Pennsylvania sports betting handle fell 14% month-on-month in April to $479 million, but the figures still represented a relative win for the state.
- US Bets, 5.19.21: Maryland Lottery Director Stepping Down Just Before Sports Betting Arrives
- While Gordon Medenica has been a popular choice to be a panelist at various gaming conferences over the years, the soon-to-be-retiring Maryland Lottery and Gaming director hardly has been a “lifer” in the industry.
- Legal Sports Report, 5.18.21: Maryland Sports Betting Official After Governor Hogan’s Signature
- Following a last-minute addition to his bill signing schedule, Gov. Larry Hogan signed a Maryland sports betting bill into law Tuesday.
- Baltimore Sun, 5.18.21: Maryland Moves Closer To Legalized Sports Gambling As Bill Signed Into Law
- Maryland is one step closer to having legal sports gambling as Gov. Larry Hogan signed into law Tuesday a bill that establishes a framework for the new industry.
- IGB, 5.18.21: Eleven More Tribes Agree to Washington Sports Wagering Compacts
- The Washington State Gambling Commission has reached a Class III sports wagering compact agreement with 11 more tribes across Washington, which will allow the tribes to offer sports betting at their casinos.