iDEA Growth in the News:
- SBC Americas, 4.15.20 – Surge In Demand For ‘Online Casino’ Is A Wake Up Call For US iGaming (iDEA Growth mention)
- The closure of US land-based gaming venues and cancellation of live sport due to the COVID-19 pandemic has sparked a 100% rise in internet searches for ‘online casino’ across North America.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Gaming Intelligence, 4.15.20 – SBTech Expands Gaming Platform With BetGames.TV And Pin Projekt
- Sports betting-focused technology supplier SBTech has expanded its online gaming platform through new agreements with live dealer specialist BetGames.TV and lottery supplier Pin Projekt.
- Gambling Compliance, 4.15.20 – As Nevada Expands eSports Betting, Other States Stuck On Sidelines (subscription paywall)
- As esports and virtual sports help prop up online betting markets in Europe, restrictive regulatory regimes are limiting their ability to help fill the betting void in key U.S. states.
- PlayUSA, 4.14.20 – PlayUSA Rewind: West Virginia’s Presidential Election Betting Snafu
- The legalized sports betting world has not completely shut down. Three of the four golf major championships have been rescheduled, setting the scene for an action-packed fall. Additionally, eNASCAR (essentially virtual stock racing) has emerged in several states.
- PlayPennsylvania, 4.14.20 – Timing Is Everything: Penn National Looked To Catch A Wave, But Ran Into A Tsunami
- Penn National Gaming made a bold play on Jan. 29 to enter the sports betting market, buying a huge chunk of the upstart bad-boy blog, Barstool Sports, as its entry wedge to a ready-made fanbase.
- Business Insider, 4.14.20 – How The Sports-Betting Industry Is Responding To The Coronavirus Pandemic That Has Halted Most Major Sporting Events
- The legal sports-betting industry is scrambling to adapt to the lack of live sporting events, as major leagues cancel or postpone their seasons due to coronavirus concerns.
- Fast Company, 4.15.20 – Why You Should Think Like A Startup During The Pandemic
- The founder of sports betting app Fantasy Life calls on entrepreneurs to prepare their businesses for the long haul by moving fast and thinking outside of the box.
- US Bets, 4.14.20 – Casino Industry: New Federal Guidelines For Industry Relief ‘Fall Woefully Short’
- The casino industry, like many others, is getting some assistance from the federal government under the dire economic situation stemming from COVID-19, but many gaming companies with 500 or fewer employees are still being left out in the cold.
Sports League News:
- ESPN, 4.15.20 – Anthony Fauci Promotes Fan-Free Return For Sports
- Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious diseases expert and one of the faces of the United States’ fight against the coronavirus, says the only way professional sports will happen this summer is to do so without fans in attendance and by keeping players in hotels.
- CBS Sports Radio, 4.14.20 – Analyst: There’s A “Major Uptick” In NFL Draft Betting
- In the world of sports betting, the NFL Draft is, at best, an appetizer. It is certainly not the main dish – or even a side dish. That, however, will change in 2020.
- Legal Sports Report, 4.15.20 – NJ Sports Betting Case Near The Finish Line – For Real This Time
- That “other” NJ sports betting case might be winding down. As we reported a few weeks ago, the litigation that culminated in states being able to legalize sports betting is still ongoing.
- NJ Online Gambling, 4.14.20 – Estimating New Jersey’s Tax Losses From The Atlantic City Casino Shutdown
- On Wednesday, New Jersey regulators will release the March gaming revenue numbers. With the Atlantic City casinos closed for the second half of the month, the numbers won’t be pretty.
- Penn Bets, 4.14.20 – Why PA Sportsbooks Can’t Offer Betting On eSports
- With sports shut down in the U.S. and most countries around the world, operators in states with live, legal mobile sports betting continue to look for new opportunities.
- Legal Sports Report, 4.14.20 – This Virginia Sports Betting Amendment Could Send License Fees Sky-High
- Ralph Northam kicked the Virginia sports betting bill back to the legislature with suggested amendments last week.
- NY Daily News, 4.14.20 – Virginia Governor Recommends Changes To NASCAR Wagering In State’s Sports Betting Bill
- On March 8, Virginia’s legislature passed a bill paving the way for legal sports betting throughout the state.
- WTOP, 4.14.20 – Gambling, Transportation, Discrimination And Budget Changes In Virginia
- From casinos and transportation to voting and anti-discrimination measures, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam has signed hundreds of bills and suggested amendments to dozens of others ahead of next week’s reconvened session of the General Assembly.
- Legal Sports Report, 4.14.20 – Coronavirus Shutdown Dims Chances For Missouri Sports Betting Legislation
- Disruption of the legislative session caused by the coronavirus likely derailed Missouri sports betting legislation.
- PlayIA, 4.15.20 – Iowans Shouldn’t Expect Legal Wagering On Political Elections Any Time Soon
- Legal sportsbooks in Iowa enjoy a very competitive tax rate and other benefits. For all the upsides of the market in the state, restrictions on events like elections betting could be its weakness.
- Quad-City Times, 4.14.20 – Loss Of March Madness A Major Blow To Iowa Sports Betting
- owa’s state-licensed casinos are coming to grips with the grim-looking revenue projections brought on by a coronavirus pandemic that has closed their doors and shut down sports wagering opportunities at least into next month.
- The Herald Bulletin, 4.14.20 – Gaming, Sports Betting Revenues Plunge During Pandemic
- Indiana casinos, including Harrah’s Hoosier Park Racing & Casino, were hit hard in March when restrictions aimed at slowing the spread of the new coronavirus took full effect.
- SBC Americas, 4.14.20 – Matt Holt: Providing A Holistic View Of Sports Betting
- US Integrity’s Matt Holt provides an overview of the three-part certification program recently announced in collaboration with Ohio University’s AECOM Center for Sports Administration and Cyanna Education Services, and discusses the key points that will be focused on and taught.
- PlayColorado, 4.15.20 – SuperBook Coming To Colorado Sports Betting Scene Via Lodge Casino
- It was announced on Monday that the SuperBook will pair up with The Lodge Casino in Black Hawk to provide both an online and on-site sportsbook option to prospective bettors.
- Gaming Intelligence, 4.15.20 – SuperBook To Expand Beyond Las Vegas With Colorado Sports Betting Deal
- S. gaming operator Jacobs Entertainment has entered into an agreement to launch a new online and retail sportsbook in Colorado with Las Vegas-based sports betting operator SuperBook.
- Gambling Compliance, 4.15.20 – Gaming Tribes Battle Alaska, Interior Department Over Coronavirus Funding (subscription paywall)
- The tribal gaming industry is waging an intense lobbying campaign against the assistant secretary of Indian affairs and the Alaska congressional delegation over the distribution of federal financial aid to cope with the coronavirus pandemic.