Industry News of the Day for April 16, 2021
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Online Poker Report, 4.15.21 – DraftKings Debuts Exclusive ‘Spanish 21’ Blackjack Variant in New Jersey
- DraftKings announced this week that it is the first and only US online casino operator to offer the Blackjack variant Spanish 21. The company said on Apr 12 that the game, which it developed in house, will debut in New Jersey. It will soon roll out in Michigan, Pennsylvania and West Virginia upon regulatory approval in those states.
Overall Industry News:
- US Bets, 4.15.21 – There’s A Lesson For U.S. Sports Betting Industry From Crackdowns In Europe On Advertising
- UNLV research paper urges U.S. operators to avoid mistakes in marketing
- Online Poker Report, 4.15.21 – Ten Events That Have Shaped The US Online Poker World Since Black Friday
- 10 years ago this week, the online poker world was rocked by the events that came to be known as Black Friday.
Sport League News:
- NFL.com, 4.15.21 – NFL announces tri-exclusive official sports betting partners
- The National Football League today announced its first-ever U.S. sportsbook partnerships as Caesars Entertainment, DraftKings and FanDuel have reached agreements to become Official Sports Betting Partners of the NFL. As part of these multi-year agreements, all three partners will have the exclusive ability to leverage NFL marks within the sports betting category and activate around retail and online sports betting. They will also engage with fans through NFL-themed free-to-play games.
- Sports Handle, 4.15.21 – NFL Makes Caesars, DraftKings, FanDuel Official Sports Betting Partners
- The National Football League completed its 180-degree turn in regard to sports betting Thursday, signing multi-year partnerships with Caesars Entertainment, FanDuel, and DraftKings that make the trio official sports betting partners with the league.
- iGB North America, 4.16.21 – NFL signs Caesars, DraftKings and FanDuel as first US sportsbook partners
- North America’s National Football League (NFL) has announced that Caesars Entertainment, DraftKings and FanDuel will become its first official sports betting partners in the US.
- Legal Sports Report, 4.15.21 – HELL FROZEN OVER: NFL SIGNS SPORTS BETTING DEALS WITH THREE US SPORTSBOOKS
- The NFL appears to be recovering quite well from the damaging effects of legal US sports betting. The league announced Thursday it will partner with three prominent sportsbooks in the United States: Caesars, DraftKings, FanDuel
- Play Colorado, 4.15.21 – NFL ANNOUNCES SPORTS BETTING DEALS WITH THREE US SPORTSBOOKS
- To show you how the times they are a changin’, the NFL now has three official sports betting partners.
- iGB North America, 4.16.21 – Arizona legalizes sports betting as Governor Ducey signs bill
- Arizona Governor Doug Ducey has signed legislation that will make sports betting and paid fantasy sports officially legal within the state.
- Legal Sports Report, 4.15.21 – ARIZONA SPORTS BETTING BECOMES LEGAL IN LANDMARK BILL FOR TRIBAL CASINOS
- Governor Doug Ducey signed Arizona sports betting legislation and an updated tribal compact Thursday.
- Arizona Public Radio (AP Repost), 4.15.21 – Ducey Signs Sports Betting Bill Expanding Gambling In The State
- Arizona Governor Doug Ducey has signed a bill allowing a major expansion of gambling in the state.
- AZ Mirror, 4.15.21 – Vegas-style casino games, sports betting come to Arizona
- Native American tribes will be able to offer new kinds of Las Vegas-style table games, sports wagering, more slot machines and gaming tables and several new casinos in the Phoenix metro area under a new gaming compact negotiated by tribal leaders and Gov. Doug Ducey.
- Sports Handle, 4.15.21 – Handicapping The Race To Become A Sports Betting Platform Provider In New York
- DraftKings, FanDuel are the clear frontrunners in the heated bidding process
- Play USA, 4.15.21 – WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT THE ARRIVAL OF NEW YORK MOBILE SPORTS BETTING
- We aren’t going to sugar coat anything for you here at PlayUSA. With that premise in hand, the details of New York mobile sports betting and how it will ultimately function are a mess.
- Penn Bets, 4.16.21 – ONLINE CASINO REVENUE IN PA APPROACHED $100 MILLION IN MARCH AND SPORTS BETTING REBOUNDED
- Sports betting volume in Pennsylvania rebounded in March to its second highest level ever, but the month’s big gambling story was the amount of money people spent playing slots and table games by phone and computer.
- iGB North America, 4.16.21 – Pennsylvania gambling revenue rockets 162.7% in March
- The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board (PGCB) has reported a 162.7% year-on-year increase in gambling revenue for the US state in March, while the market also experienced a 22.0% month-on-month increase.
- SBC Americas, 4.16.21 – Pennsylvania sportsbooks bounce back with $560m-plus in March bets
- Pennsylvania’s retail and online sportsbooks took in more than $560m in wagers, as March Madness helped propel betting to the second-highest monthly volume in state history, according to PlayPennsylvania.
- Play PA, 4.15.21 – NCAA TOURNAMENT SPURS MARCH BOUNCE BACK FOR PA SPORTS BETTING AS REVENUE JUMPS 79%
- It was madness at Pennsylvania sportsbooks in March with handle surpassing a half a billion again.
- Elite Sports NY, 4.15.21 – Massachusetts House Leaders Propose 2022 Budget With No Sports Betting Revenue
- In what could potentially signal a dire ending for Massachusetts sports betting in 2022, lawmakers have proposed a $47.6 billion budget that does not include any sports betting revenues in its spending plan.
- iGB North America, 4.16.21 – Delaware igaming revenue up 74.3% year-on-year in March
- The Delaware Lottery has published the state’s igaming results from March 2021, showing total net revenue of $897,781, up 74.3% from March 2020, and 19.5% ahead of the $751,291 generated in February this year.
- Baltimore Business Journal, 4.15.21 – Maryland Lottery and Gaming director weighs in on timeframe for sports betting rollout
- The Maryland General Assembly voted this week to approve a framework for sports betting in the state. So when can Marylanders expect to start placing wagers?
- iGB North America, 4.16.21 – William Hill pulls further ahead of DC Lottery as revenue gap widens in March
- Sports betting revenue in Washington DC increased 46.2% month-on-month to $1.9m in March as William Hill widened the gap between itself and DC Lottery’s Gambet.
- Norwalk Reflector (Toledo Blade Repost), 4.15.21 – Lawmakers debate who should benefit from sports betting
- As Ohio lawmakers consider regulating sports betting nearly three years after the U.S. Supreme Court opened the door, businesses across the state are seeking to ensure that the state’s four casinos and seven racetrack slots parlors won’t be the only players.
- TN Bets, 4.15.21 – Major Changes Afoot For Tennessee Sport Betting Regulation
- A bill that would strip the TELC of its power over sports betting is making its way through the state legislature with lots of support.
- Legal Sports Report, 4.16.21 – TN SPORTS BETTING BILL THAT SEPARATED BETS, PAYDAY LOANS WITHDRAWN
- A TN sports betting bill that would prevent sportsbooks from taking bets from payday loan customers was deemed a bit too broad.
- Play Tenn, 4.15.21 – SPORTS WAGERING ADVISORY COUNCIL CAN NOW MAKE DECISIONS WITHOUT TEL BOARD
- The Senate State and Local Government Committee reconvened on Wednesday, April 14 for its final session of the calendar year. The committee had four gambling-related bills listed on the agenda for consideration. However, members only approved one.
- Legal Sports Report, 4.16.21 – FLORIDA SPORTS BETTING STILL UNDER DISCUSSION BUT SHORT ON TIME
- Time is of the essence if Florida is going to legalize sports betting this year. The 2021 legislative session adjourns April 30. That leaves little time for legislative leaders to reach an agreement with the Seminole Indians, draft legislation, and get everyone on board for votes.
- Legal Sports Report, 4.15.21 – TEXAS SPORTS BETTING PROPONENTS COME FORWARD IN COMMITTEE HEARING
- A Texas House committee held a public hearing on sports betting Wednesday. House State Affairs Committee heard both positive and negative testimonies about HB 2070, which decriminalizes and sets regulations on sports betting. No action was taken.
- Play CA, 4.15.21 – TRIBAL CASINOS OUTSIDE TRIBAL LAND? IT COULD HAPPEN IN CALIFORNIA, THANKS TO FAVORABLE FEDERAL JUDGE RULING
- Tribal casinos on non-tribal lands? It could happen in California. A federal judge in California recently ruled that negotiators representing the state “did not negotiate in good faith” when attempting to require tribes’ compliance with various state laws and orders.
- Online Poker Report. 4.14.21 – Washington State Lottery Expresses Concerns About Launch Of Gray Market Courier Service Mido Lotto
- Lottery players in Washington State have a new way to play their favorite draws online. However, while it brands itself as safe and legal, the state lottery is cautioning its customers otherwise.