Industry News of the Day for December 18, 2018
iDEA Growth in the news:
- Sports Handle, 12.18.18 – The Power 15: Ranking States In Order Of Their Odds Of Legalizing Sports Betting In 2019 (J. Ifrah as iDEA Growth spokesperson)
- WTOP, 12.18.18 – In DC’s rush to legalize sports betting, are the benefits overstated? (J. Ifrah as iDEA Growth spokesperson)
Industry news of the day:
- Legal Sports Report, 12.18.18 – Media Company The Score Plans NJ Sports Betting Launch With Bet.Works, Monmouth Park
- It was inevitable that a media company would get involved on the operator side the nascent US sports betting industry. It was always a matter of “when,” not “if.”
- Online Poker Report, 12.17.18 – DraftKings Casino Now Spreading Online Blackjack in New Jersey
- If there was any remaining doubt, DraftKings is officially a gambling company. The former (and current) daily fantasy sports (DFS) leader has transitioned into an omni-channel, multi-vertical powerhouse with serious ambitions for more.
- NJ Online Gambling, 12.17.18 – William Hill Opens Sports Lounge at Devils’ Arena, Welcomes Curiosity and Downloads
- The new William Hill Sports Lounge at the Prudential Center in Newark is a revolutionary step in the intersection of U.S. professional sports and gambling.
- New York Post, 12.17.18 – NJ Sports Betting: Where and how to place bets
- On June 14, 2018, New Jersey became the third state in the country after Nevada and Delaware to offer legalized sports betting, almost a month after the Supreme Court overturned the federal ban known as PASPA (The Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992).
- Online Poker Report, 12.17.18 – Whatever Happened To Online Poker In California?
- California has been working to legalize online poker for more than a decade without much progress to show for it. Disparate factions in the Golden State just can’t get their act together long enough to pass a bill.
- Sports Handle, 12.17.18 – VA Lawmaker Has Eyes Wide Open on Sports Betting
- Virginia doesn’t have any casinos. But that plays perfectly into Delegate Mark Sickles’ vision of sports betting in the state. While neighboring Washington, D.C. struggles with where to locate brick-and-mortar sports betting parlors, and other states without casinos mull whether to put sports betting kiosks in convenience stores or build locations dedicated to sports betting, Sickles is all about the virtual world.
- iGaming Business, 12.18.18 – Delaware betting market enjoys strong November
- Delaware’s legal sports betting market has enjoyed its strongest month of the year to date, while the state’s online casino and poker market has continued to struggle in November.
- 12 WPRI, 12.17.18 – Senate president ‘optimistic’ online sports betting could be a swipe away next year
- A Rhode Island leader with a ton of political clout is “optimistic” that online sports betting will be on the books and potentially producing tens of millions of dollars in fresh revenue by next year.
- Gambling.com, 12.17.18 – South Carolina Sports Betting Bill Introduced Despite Odds
- South Carolina has largely fought against nearly every form of gambling since its founding, going so far as to enshrine said opposition into its constitution.
- Betting US, 12.17.18 – DC lawmakers to vote on sports betting legislation on Tuesday
- Lawmakers in the District of Columbia (DC) are set to vote on proposed sports betting legislation tomorrow.
- Play USA, 12.18.18 – Federal Government wants a Piece of Sports Betting Action, Says Hatch
- Senator Orrin Hatch is passing around a new draft bill that would establish federal control over state-regulated sports betting.
Sports league updates:
- ESPN, 12.18.18 – ‘American Sports Gambler’ beats out Adam Silver, Roger Goodell in ’18 rankings
- The sports landscape evolved at warp speed over the last six and half months of 2018, a dramatic shift fueled by none other than “The American Sports Gambler.”
- SBC Americas, 12.18.18 – GVC Holdings Announces Second Extension to B2B Deal with DLS
- GVC Holdings announced a second multi-year extension to its already existing B2B supply agreement with Danish state owned gambling operator, Danske Licens Spil (DLS).
- Calvin Ayre, 12.17.18 – Scientific Games appoints new digital chief as Matt Davey exits
- US gambling technology provider Scientific Games Corporation (SGC) continues to shuffle its senior management, as SG Digital boss Matt Davey will leave the company at the end of the year.
Overall industry updates:
- Legal Sports Report, 12.17.18 – Brazil Sports Betting Is Coming, Another 200 Million People Will Get Access To The Legal Market
- Last week, President Michel Temer signed a new law that authorizes legal live and online sports betting in Brazil.
- New York Post, 12.17.18 – How to bet on sports online
- On June 14, 2018, New Jersey became the third state in the nation to take legal sports bets, trailing only Nevada and Delaware.