Industry News of the Day for December 22, 2020
iDEA Growth Member News:
- New York Business Journal, 12.21.20 – FanDuel Signs Charles Barkley As Spokesperson, Sports Betting Partner
- Barkley will appear in FanDuel advertising and Turner Sports promotions.
- Variety, 12.21.20 – FanDuel Bets On Charles Barkley To Spur Interest In Sports Wagering On TNT
- Charles Barkley, one of the standouts on the analyst roster on the “NBA on TNT” show, has agreed to work as an ambassador and spokesman for the sports-betting giant.
- Yahoo! Finance, 12.21.20 – Betting Companies Defined The Year In Sports Business
- After the COVID-19 pandemic forced a broad shutdown of all the major U.S. sports leagues back in March, each league returned in varying formats to complete their 2020 seasons, with varying degrees of success.
- Legal Sports Report, 12.21.20 – The Week In Sports Betting News: Another Glimmer Of Hope In NY
- Any story about sports betting in New York will be the biggest news of the week nine out of ten times, and this is no exception.
- Sports Handle, 12.21.20 – What’s On Tap: The Week Ahead In Sports Betting: NBA Season Tip-Off, Christmas Football, And A Bowl Season Unlike Any Other
- Come here for a summary of upcoming financial happenings, legislative and regulatory meetings, industry conferences, top games scheduled for the week.
- US Bets, 12.21.20 – Breaking Down A Record-Setting Month Of Sports Betting
- In the case of legalized sports betting handle, the all-time national monthly high of $2.86 billion set in September did not last even 80 days.
Overall Industry News:
- Minneapolis Star Tribune, 12.22.20 – From ‘Play Ball’ To ‘Play Bally’s’? Sinclair Betting On Legal Gambling To Boost Viewership
- Sinclair Broadcasting, which bought FSN and 20 other regional sports networks from Fox’s parent company for more than $10 billion in August 2019, last month struck an $86 million deal with Bally’s Corp. to rename the various networks and turn them into conduits not only for live sports viewership but online sports gambling as well.
- Penn Bets, 12.21.20 – Other States’ Sports Betting Volume Keeps Growing, So Why Did Pennsylvania’s Stop?
- The monthly revenue figures reported by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board last Thursday showed the collective betting handle of all the state’s sportsbooks added up to $491.9 million last month, down 6.4% from October’s record $525.8 million.
- Associated Press, 12.22.20 – Online Sports Betting In Virginia Nearing Its Debut
- Virginians have long been sidelined when it comes to gambling, but it’s a safe proposition that sometime before the upcoming Super Bowl they will be able to wager from the comfort of their couches as Virginia joins a growing list of states that allow sports wagering.
- Legal Sports Report, 12.21.20 – Is Virginia Just A Month Away From Legal Sports Betting? What We Know Today
- Many people are looking forward to the end of 2020, but those in Virginia have another exciting reason to look ahead: legal sports betting.
- Delaware Business Now, 12.21.20 – Penn National, Eying Maryland Online Gaming Space, Buys Back Hollywood Casino Perryville
- Penn National Gaming, Inc. is getting its old casino back, thanks in part to online gambling.
- PlayIA, 12.21.20 – With Proliferation Of Online Sports Betting In Iowa, Online Casino, Online Poker Seem Inevitable
- The field of online sports betting in Iowa is getting crowded, which could be a precursor to further gambling expansion in the Hawkeye State. Iowa online casinos could happen sooner than initially expected.
- PlayIndiana, 12.21.20 – Indiana Sports Betting Might Be 2020’s Best Rags To Riches Story
- 2020 was a rollercoaster year for the Indiana sports betting market.
- Birmingham Business Journal, 12.21.20 – Study Group Reveals Lottery, Gambling Could Bring $700 Million To State
- A group that included Birmingham business leaders studied the effects a lottery and gambling would have on Alabama coffers.
- The Action Network, 12.21.20 – Lengthy Louisiana Daily Fantasy Rollout Could Foreshadow Sports Betting Legalization
- Louisiana daily fantasy players will be able to legally set lineups and enter contests in 2021, more than two years after voters in most parishes approved the games.
- PlayColorado, 12.21.20 – TheScore Aims To Stand Out In The Colorado Sports Betting Market
- Since theScore launched in early September, one thing is abundantly clear. The sportsbook is serious about having the best and easiest user experience in the Colorado sports betting market.