Industry news of the day:
- Legal Sports Report, 12.24.18 – Last Week in Sports Betting: Everyone’s Looking at You, DC (And Michigan too)
- This last week was — without question — the busiest week of sports betting news since the US Supreme Court repealed PASPA in May. There have been plenty of busy weeks over the past seven months, mind you, but none quite as relentless as this one.
- Legal Sports Report, 12.21.18 – The Single Line in Last-Minute Gaming Bill that Could Make Michigan Sports Betting a Reality
- Nearly all of the gambling bill passed in the final hours of the Michigan lame-duck legislative session deals with casinos and internet gaming.
- Legal Sports Report, 12.26.18 – Key Lawmaker will Introduce Michigan Sports Betting Bill, but it Might not be Necessary
- Fresh off passing online gambling legislation on the final day of the 2018 legislative session, Michigan Rep. Brandt Iden tells Legal Sports Report that sports betting will be his priority in 2019.
- Online Poker Report, 12.21.18 – Lawmakers Pass Michigan Online Gambling Bill in Eleventh Hour
- As the final few hours ticked off the 2018 legislative clock, lawmakers in Michigan passed a bill that would legalize online gambling within the state.
- Online Poker Report, 12.21.18 – Here’s How Michigan Passed an Online Gambling Bill, From a Key Senator
- Christmas came early for poker players in Michigan with the passage Thursday night of the Lawful Internet Gaming Act. It’s the culmination of a four-year effort from state Sen. Mike Kowall to legalize and regulate online poker and casino games.
- Online Poker Report, 12.21.18 – Everything You Need to Know about the Michigan Online Gambling Bill
- Pending a signature from Gov. Rick Snyder, Michigan will become the fifth state to legalize online gambling.
- Online Poker Report, 12.24.18 – Michigan Online Gambling is Coming, and so are New Jobs
- Last week, the Michigan legislature passed an online gambling bill in the eleventh hour of its legislative session. A pending signature from Gov. Rick Snyder is now the only thing standing in the way of full legalization.
- Online Poker Report, 12.26.18 – Michigan Online Gambling Bill ‘ Model Legislation’ for Tribal Gaming States
- When Rep. Brandt Iden took it upon himself to lead the push an online gambling bill in Michigan two years ago, the task seemed monumental. As a tribal gaming state with commercial interests, creating legislation that satisfies all parties is unusual — if not close to impossible.
- JD Supra, 12.24.18 – Lawmakers Pass Online Gambling Bill in Michigan: What this Means for the Great Lakes State
- The Michigan legislature has passed a trio of bills that would legalize and regulate online gaming.
- iGaming Business, 12.21.18 – Michigan iGaming bill heads to governor for signature
- Michigan lawmakers last night approved legislation to regulate online gaming and sports betting across the state, with the bill now awaiting approval from outgoing Governor Rick Snyder before it can come into force.
- Gambling.com, 12.21.18 – Michigan Online Casino Gaming ears Legalization
- The Michigan state Senate overwhelmingly passed an online casino legalization bill as part of a series of actions during the waning hours of its lame-duck legislative session, The Detroit News reports.
- Card Player, 12.23.18 – Michigan Poised to Become Fifth State to Legalize Online Gambling
- The state of Michigan has closed its legislative session with a last-minute vote on HB4926, a bill that would legalize online gambling including casino games, online poker, and eventually sports betting.
- Associated Press, 12.21.18 – Legislature OKs $1.3 billion budget bill, online gambling
- Michigan’s Republican-controlled Legislature has approved a $1.3 billion budget plan that would spend more on roads, environmental cleanup and mental health counselors in schools to top off the busiest lame duck session in the state’s history.
- News-Review, 12.21.18 – Weekly legislative roll call report
- To repeal a state ban on internet gambling. The bill establishes a comprehensive regulatory and licensure regime that allows the Detroit and Michigan Indian casinos to enter the business.
- Online Poker Report, 12.21.18 – Kentucky Court Reverses $870 Million Judgment Against PokerStars
- The Stars Group appears to have shed a significant liability after a Kentucky appeals court today reversed a lower court decision that had called for the company to pay the Commonwealth $870 million in damages.
- WKYT, 12.21.18 – Court zaps Kentucky’s $870 million win against online poker
- A Kentucky appeals court has overturned one of the largest judgments in state history by ruling an online poker company does not have to pay the state $870 million plus interest.
- Sports Handle, 12.26.18 – Las Vegas Bookmaking Legend Jimmy Vaccaro Headed Home
- In the true fashion of oddsmakers, friends and associates of legendary Las Vegas bookmaker Jimmy Vaccaro are more than willing to “make book” on Vaccaro’s future plans.
- Online Casino Reports, 12.26.18 – Illegal Sports Betting Ring in Massachusetts Highlights Need for Legalization
- Nine people in Massachusetts have been indicted for running a large-scale illegal sports betting and money laundering scheme. Among the nine are members of the Hillson family of Melrose, who authorities allege were taking illegal sports bets over the phone from their home.
- NECN, 12.21.18 – 9 Indicted in Connection with Large-scale Illegal Sports Betting Money Laundering Operation in Greater Boston
- Nine people, including a husband and wife and their son, have been indicted in connection with a large-scale illegal sports betting and money laundering operation in the Greater Boston area, Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey announced Friday.
- Legal Sports Report, 12.26.18 – Southern Discomfort: Mississippi Sports Betting Revenue Stays Put in November
- An unusually strong month for the public sank Mississippi sports betting revenue in October, and the downward trend held in November.
- Clarion Ledger, 12.26.18 – Mississippi Choctaws one of only 2 Indian casinos offer sports betting in the US
- Two dozen large-screen TVs showing football and other sports line the walls.
- NJ Online Gambling, 12.26.18 – Hard Rock Atlantic City, Bet365 Move Closer to New Jersey Sports Betting
- One of Atlantic City‘s newest brick-and-mortar casinos is inching closer to joining the booming sports betting market.
- NJ Gambling Sites, 12.21.18 – DraftKings Casino Plans to make More Waves in NJ with Additional Games
- DraftKings proved it was much more than a daily fantasy sports service in August.
- NJ Gambling Sites, 12.24.18 – FanDuel Sportsbook and Betfair NJ Online Casino Now have a Shared Wallet
- Are you one of those betters who likes placing a wager on an NFL or college football game before heading off to play some blackjack, roulette, or slots?
- Play NJ, 12.27.18 – What we’ve learned from Another Year of Value at NJ Online Casinos
- With operators banking more revenue than ever before, the rewards for players have reached new levels.
- Play NJ, 12.27.18 – CRDA’s Investment into eSports in Atlantic City Might be a $700K Gamble
- The Casino Reinvestment Development Authority (CRDA) has pledged to invest $700,000 into advertising for esports tournaments. The group hopes that the investment will build loyalty for future generations of visitors.
- Play NJ, 12.27.18 – Dinosaurs and Big Wins take over the Reels in this Prehistoric NJ Online Slot
- Let’s close out 2018 with two new slots at NJ online casinos, both from High 5 Games but with very different formats.
- WPRI, 12.21.18 – Twin River launches second phase of sports betting
- Twin River Casino in Lincoln launched its second phase of sports betting by opening the Sportsbook Bar and Grill.
- WPRI, 12.21.18 – RI leaders talk legislative session’s priorities
- Investing in job training programs, phasing out the car tax and expanding sports betting are the top priorities for Rhode Island’s Democratic leaders in the upcoming legislative session.
- NBC Washington, 12.26.18 – Lawmakers to Propose Legal Sports Gambling in Virginia
- Three northern Virginia lawmakers will be introducing different bills that would legalize sports gambling in the state.
- Miami Herald, 12.26.18 – Bills soon to be on table for sports gambling in Virginia
- If he were laying odds, state Sen. Chap Petersen would like the chances that Virginia’s General Assembly will legalize sports gambling.
- Penn Bet, 12.21.18 – Sugarhouse Casino Walks the Line on its Sports Betting Pricing
- One of the biggest concerns heading into the launch of the Pennsylvania sports betting industry was the juice. And rightfully so.
- Legal Sports Report, 12.25.18 – Instant Expert Legal Analysis of the Federal Sports Betting Bill – Part 2
- This is the second of a two-part look into the federal sports betting bill. If you are reading this first, go back and check out the opening article.
- Online Gambling, 12.21.18 – Senators Chuck Schumer, Orrin Hatch Introduce Federal Sports Betting Regulatory Bill
- The move comes seven months after the Supreme Court struck down the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA), which had prevented states from passing new sports betting regulations.
- Phila Sun, 12.21.18 – Feds eye move to regulate legal sports betting
- The federal government would regulate sports betting nationwide under a bill to be introduced Wednesday.
Sports league updates:
- Legal Sports Report, 12.22.18 – The NFL is Nearing a Gaming Deal with Caesars Entertainment
- Just last week, the news surfaced that the NFL was looking for a national casino partner.
- Online Poker Report, 12.21.18 – PokerStars Inks Deal with UFC as ‘Official Poker Partner’
- PokerStars is now the “official poker partner” of the UFC, the mixed martial arts organization announced on Friday.
- Open PR, 12.26.18 – Online Gambling & Betting Market Business Growth Statistics and Key Players Insights: The Stars Group, Fortuna Entertainment Group, Kindred Group, 888 Holdings plc, Paddy Power Betfair plc
- The Global Online Gambling & Betting Market 2018 to 2025 renders deep perception of the key regional market status of the Online Gambling & Betting Industry on a global level that primarily aims the core regions which comprises of continents like Europe, North America, and Asia and the key countries such as United States, Germany, China and Japan.
- Card Player, 12.22.18 – PokerStars Wins Appeal on $870 Million Kentucky Court Judgement
- A court of appeals has thrown out a $870.7 million judgement against The Stars Group, signaling a win for the online poker site in a long-fought battle with the state of Kentucky.
- Play USA, 12.26.18 – PokerStars is now the Official Poker Partner of the UFC
- PokerStars is now the “Official Poker Partner” of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).
- Calvin Ayre, 12.21.18 – The Stars Group eat $870m Kentucky lawsuit, hoists UFC belt
- Online gambling operator The Stars Group (TSG) is – for the moment – off the hook for an $870m civil judgment imposed three years ago in the state of Kentucky.
- Morning Star, 12.21.18 – GVC Holdings Non-Executive Karl Diacono Departs After 10 Years
- FTSE 100 gambling firm GVC Holdings PLC on Friday said Non-Executive Director Karl Diacono has left the company after a decade.
- Calvin Ayre, 12.26.18 – Keith O’Loughlin: SG Digital’s success rests on customers’ success
- SG Digital, Scientific Games’ digital division, has had a busy year with the expansion of sports betting across the United States.
Overall industry updates:
- Sports Handle, 12.21.18 – ‘Get a Grip’: The Week in Sports Betting and Sports: The Time that Everything Happened
- Here’s the weekend Sports Handle item, “Get a Grip,” recapping the week’s top stories, and rounding up key stories in sports betting, gaming, and the world of sports at large. You may have missed them, and they are worth reading.
- Sports Handle, 12.26.18 – State of Sports Betting in ’18 What it Looks like and Lessons to Learn
- Since the Supreme Court struck down the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act in May, eight jurisdictions outside of Nevada have legalized and/or green-lighted operators for legal sports betting. And the only thing that’s become clear is that one-size-fits-all law does not apply here.
- ESPN, 12.21.18 – U.S. anti-doping agency eyes sports betting role
- The agency that spearheaded the takedown of Lance Armstrong has a new potential target: sports betting integrity.
- Domain Name Wire, 12.26.18 – NBC registers domain names for sports betting
- Is NBC going to offer sports betting? NBC registered a handful of sports betting domain names on Friday including NBCSportbook.com and NBCSportsSportsbook.com, as well as non-.com versions of NBCSportsBet, NBCSportsBets, NBCSportsbook and NBCSportsBetting.
- Business Matters, 12.21.18 – Online casino trends for 2019
- The online gaming industry is like a city that never sleeps. The brightest minds in both business and tech have come together to create an entertainment platform that constantly reinvents itself through innovative ideas and incredible advancements in software and technology. Every year we’ve seen improvements across the whole spectrum of online gaming and 2019 looks set to take gaming to even greater heights.
- The Sports Daily, 12.23.18 – States Predicted to Legalize Sports Betting in 2019
- For many years, if sports bettors in America wanted to place legal bets on sports, they traveled to Las Vegas or Reno.
- The Lines, 12.26.18 – Five States Expected to Make Big Sports Betting Moves in 2019
- Few embrace the “there’s no minute like the last minute” concept better than state legislatures.