Industry news of the day:
- Online Poker Report, 12.3.18 – New York, Illinois Among Prime Candidates for Online Gambling Legislation in 2019
- Sports betting has been legalized in a handful of states in 2018, and the District of Columbia is working on its own bill in the 11th hour.
- Legal Sports Report, 12.3.18 – The Possible DC Lottery Sports Betting Vendor is Exaggerating How Much Money it Would Make
- We are at ground zero of a battle over how sports betting may go down in the future in Washington, DC, and perhaps the rest of the country.
- Sports Handle, 12.3.18 – D.C. Legal Sports Betting Framework Approaching State of Chaos
- Legalizing sports betting in the nation’s capital is getting hairy. After the Finance and Revenue Committee voted to move B22-0944 forward last Wednesday, a coalition that includes several professional leagues and mobile and online sports betting operators has begun circulating a flyer calling for changes.
- Online Gambling, 12.3.18 – The Sound and the “Tyson” Fury: Recapping the Week in New Jersey Sports Betting
- From the moment the Dallas Cowboys defeated the 7-point favorite New Orleans Saints outright on Thursday night, in a game where the total score of 23 was less than two-thirds of the Saints’ average point tally this season, there was a feeling that it was going to be a wacky weekend in sports.
- Online Gambling, 12.4.18 – Meadowlands Horsemen Getting Purse Boost from Sports Betting, Hoping for More
- The Standardbred Breeders and Owners of New Jersey on Friday announced a 10-year preliminary agreement with the Meadowlands Racetrack on a revenue-sharing plan on sports betting that adds at least $1 million annually to racing purses.
- 12 WPRI, 12.3.18 – Tiverton casino starts taking sports bets
- Legal sports betting has expanded in Rhode Island despite still being in its infancy.
- DRF, 12.3.18 – Sports betting expected to dominate conversation at 2018 RTIP Symposium
- The most prominent topic at the Race Track Industry Program’s annual racing symposium this year is not a racing one. It’s sports betting.
- Herald Courier, 12.3.18 – Southwest Virginia legislators talk health care, gambling at legislative breakfast
- Gambling bills, the state budget, the opioid crisis and funding education were the topics touched on by Southwest Virginia lawmakers during a legislative breakfast Monday in Abingdon.
- Calvin Ayre, 12.4.18 – Sports betting eyed for Missouri
- A Missouri state senator has introduced a bill that would legalize sports betting in the state.
- Sports Handle, 12.4.18 – Oral Argument, One Year Later: 60 Minutes that Changed Sports Betting Forever
- One year ago on this day, four hours before the sun rose, I stood on a sidewalk adjacent to the United States Supreme Court, waiting for one of 50 public tickets to hear 60 minutes of oral argument that would help decide the fate of sports betting in the U.S.
Sports league updates:
- Legal Sports Report, 12.3.18 – Sportsbooks, Leagues Team Up for the First Time in Sports Betting Lobbying; Alliance Supports Royalty Fee in DC
- Some operators and major US sports leagues apparently are working together to get a law passed to legalize sports betting in Washington, D.C.
- Gaming Intelligence, 12.4.18 – Lightning Box set for New Jersey iGaming launch with SG Digital
- Lightning Box’s games will go live in New Jersey in early 2019, including titles such as Jackaroo Jack, Respin Rhino, Astro Cat, and the forthcoming Stellar Jackpot Silver Lion.
Overall industry updates:
- ESPN, 12.4.18 – What legal sports betting in the United States means for offshore sportsbooks
- One of the major misconceptions in the wake of the Supreme Court’s ruling that struck down the 1992 federal law banning sports wagering back in May is that the elimination of the law could spell the end for sportsbooks based outside of the United States — many of which are located in the Caribbean.