Industry News of the Day for February 16, 2022
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Action Network, 2.15.22: USFL Takes First Step Toward Sports Betting Approval With Sportradar Deal
- The United States Football League is 60 days away, and the league took a significant step toward sports betting approval on Tuesday.
- SBC, 2.16.22: Sportradar Enters Multi-year Foundational Partnership With USFL
- Sportradar has announced a multi-year foundational partnership with the United States Football League (USFL), a new professional football league launching in April.
- US Bets, 2.15.22: Ask A Bookmaker With Johnny Avello: Props And More Props
- Welcome to our weekly “Ask a Bookmaker” feature, which answers many of the common (and uncommon!) questions gamblers and enthusiasts have about how sportsbooks operate in the modern age of sports betting.
Overall Industry News:
- IGB, 2.15.22: US Commercial Gaming Revenue Rockets To $53bn In 2021
- The American Gambling Association (AGA) has revealed that the US commercial gaming industry made $53.0bn in revenue in 2021, an increase of $23.0bn from 2020.
- US Bets, 2.15.22: Young Sports Bettors Are Eager To Cross Over Into Online Casinos
- So far, only six states — New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware, Michigan, and West Virginia — have legalized online casinos. And even boosters of the industry acknowledge it’s going to be a long while until many other states join the party.
Sports League News:
- Wall Street Journal, 2.15.22: Super Bowl Wagers Rise to Records as Online Sports Betting Sweeps U.S.
- Gambling on the Super Bowl this year reached record highs, after legalized sports betting surged across the U.S. in 2021.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.16.22: Super Bowl LVI Betting Trends Reveal Changing US Market
- Legal sports betting on the Super Bowl more than doubled year-on-year, according to new data from GeoComply.
- SBC, 2.16.22: New Jersey Sportsbooks Handle Over $140m On Super Bowl LVI Wagers
- The New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement has informed stakeholders that the state’s sportsbooks took over $140m in wagers on Super Bowl LVI.
- IGB, 2.15.22: Delaware Igaming Revenue Grows 51.3% Year-on-year In January
- Online gaming in Delaware was recorded at $1.1m (£827,497/€988,647) for the month of January, in a mostly successful month for the state.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.16.22: Indiana Sportsbooks Hit Record Handle To Start 2022
- Indiana sportsbooks started 2022 with a bang, setting a new handle record in January.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.16.22: Another Super Bowl Opportunity Passes Without Legal MA Sports Betting
- It was another slow Super Bowl weekend in Massachusetts after the state Senate passed on legalizing MA sports betting again in 2021.
- Sports Handle, 2.15.22: Massachusetts Politicians Vocal About Stalled Legal Sports Betting Proposals
- It’s been three years since Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker and state legislators filed more than a dozen bills to legalize sports betting.
- We Are Iowa, 2.15.22: Sports Betting In Iowa Over Past 7 Months Surpassed Total From Previous Fiscal Year
- The total amount spent on sports bets in Iowa in the past seven months has already surpassed all bets placed during the 12 months before, according to state leaders.
- MI Bets, 2.15.22: Online Casinos In Michigan Continue To Roll Right Along
- The online casino market in Michigan had its second-best month ever in January, according to the Michigan Gaming Control Board.
- MI Bets, 2.15.22: Michigan Sportsbooks Start 2022 With Another New Monthly Record
- For the fourth time in as many months, Michigan sportsbooks set a new monthly handle record, with January’s haul coming in at $496.8 million, up 2.5% from December’s then-record handle of $484.6 million, according to the Michigan Gaming Control Board.
- Sports Handle, 2.15.22: Illinois Sports Betting Operators Win Big Again On Super Bowl
- It may be too early to start thinking “three-peat,” but Illinois sports betting operators again claimed the upper hand against Super Bowl bettors as the state’s gaming board reported adjusted gross revenue of more than $9.5 million from slightly more than $60 million in handle.
- KARE 11, 2.15.22: Lawmakers Say ‘Smart Money’ On Sports Gambling Bill Passing Minn. This Year
- As more states legalize sports gambling, several senior Minnesota lawmakers say the “smart money” is on the legislature passing a sports betting bill this year.
- KARE 11, 2.15.22: Lawmakers Consider Legal Sports Betting In 2022
- A Supreme Court ruling paved the way for states to allow sports betting, and 32 states and Washington D.C. now allow some form of sports gambling.
- Sports Handle, 2.16.22: Canadian Sportsbooks Report Record-Breaking Super Bowl Numbers
- Now that the dust has settled following the Los Angeles Rams’ 23-20 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals in Super Bowl LVI, Canada‘s provincially run sportsbooks are reporting record-breaking numbers again this year from the big game.