Industry News of the Day for February 17, 2020
iDEA Growth Member News:
- The Boston Globe, 2.14.20 – Celtics And DraftKings Go Into Business Together
- Two Boston-based sports entities joined corporate hands Thursday, when DraftKings became the official daily fantasy sports partner of the Celtics.
- Sports Handle, 2.15.20 – Get A Grip: Weekly Sports Betting News Roundup: Missouri, Kentucky, Georgia Pro Teams Push And More
- Here’s the weekend Sports Handle item, “Get a Grip,” recapping the week’s top stories, highlighting some fresh news and rounding up key stories in the world (and industry) of legal U.S. sports betting.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.17.20 – Alaska, Wyoming Make It 21 States With Live Sports Betting Bills
- There are now 21 states with sports betting bills introduced this year, 18 of which would legalize sports betting.
- Law360, 2.14.20 – Universities Shouldn’t Roll Dice On Sports Betting Compliance (subscription paywall)
- Legal sports betting is the latest third rail for college athletics. Therefore, college and university compliance programs must be equipped to handle how sports betting is dramatically altering the nation’s sports landscape.
Sports League News:
- US Lacrosse Magazine, 2.14.20 – NLL Commissioner Nick Sakiewicz Using Sports Betting As Marketing Tool
- The National Lacrosse League is betting on a simple connection: Those who wager on sports care more about the sports they watch.
- The Denver Post, 2.15.20 – Colorado Inches Closer To Legal Sports Betting With First Licenses Set To Be Issued Next Week
- Colorado is expected to issue its first sports betting licenses next week, a little more than two months ahead of the launch of voter-sanctioned wagering at participating casinos and online.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.14.20 – Is Washington Sports Betting Bill Destined For A Court Challenge?
- A bill that would limit Washington sports betting operations to tribal casinos passed the House late Thursday but could eventually wind up in court.
- KOMO News, 2.14.20 – Washington Bill Allowing Sports Betting Passes State House
- A Washington bill allowing sports betting passed the state House Thursday evening, potentially giving tribal casinos the right to accept such bets.
- The Spokesman-Review, 2.16.20 – Sports Betting Bill Easily Passes House, Heads To Senate
- The odds in favor of sports betting becoming legal at tribal casinos in Washington got substantially better last week as the House passed a proposal with overwhelming support.
- Augusta Free Press, 2.16.20 – New Jersey’s Online Casino Industry Continues To Shoot Up
- The online casino industry has seen big growth worldwide over the past few years.
- PlayPennsylvania, 2.15.20 – PA Gaming Approval Of Eldorado Caesars Merger Will Have Some Market Effects
- Eldorado Resorts, Inc. got approval on Wednesday from Pennsylvania gaming regulators to proceed with their planned purchase of Caesars Entertainment Corporation.
- Fosters, 2.15.20 – NH Lottery Surpasses One Million Sports Bets
- In just six weeks, more than 1 million sports bets have been placed in the Granite State as the New Hampshire Lottery’s newest offering continues to pick up traction.
- Hartford Courant, 2.14.20 – Gambling Giants Face A Challenging Market As MGM Springfield Struggles And Connecticut Tribes Cut Investment At Planned East Windsor Casino
- Revenue at the new Springfield casino has disappointed MGM and Connecticut’s Indian tribes are scaling back a proposed casino in East Windsor as they continue to compete for gamblers in an increasingly saturated New England market.
- WTNH, 2.16.20 – Capitol Report: Legal Sports Betting Proposals, ‘Trucks Only Tolls’ Could Get Some Action Soon
- What are the odds that we’ll see legal sports gaming in Connecticut?
- US Bets, 2.14.20 – Legislation Filed To Repeal Illinois Sports Betting Law
- A piece of legislation was filed Friday that would undo a sports betting law Illinois passed in 2019.
- Dayton Daily News, 2.16.20 – Will Ohio Legalize Sports Gambling? Bet On It
- Ohioans love to take a chance on a lottery ticket, pull the handle on slot machines and gamble on table games — and the gambling options could be expanded if Ohio legalizes sports betting.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.14.20 – Senate Presidents Says Florida Sports Betting Agreement Not Close
- Florida sports betting might yet happen, but it’s not as close as some reports suggest.
- Sports Handle, 2.14.20 – As Sports Betting Talks With Seminoles Heat Up, Deal Could Bring Numerous Complications
- The timeline for the rollout of legalized sports wagering in Florida could be accelerated if political leaders are able to hammer out an agreement with the Seminole Tribe of Florida on a new, highly lucrative gaming compact.
- Legal Sports Report, 2.14.20 – Could Mississippi Sports Betting Expand To Full Mobile This Year?
- At least one legislator is trying to make Mississippi sports betting a better industry by fixing its biggest flaw.