Industry News of the Day for February 17, 2023
iDEA Growth Member News
- Gambling News: DraftKings CEO Hails Strong 2022 And Predicts Stronger 2023
- Acknowledging the strong results posted by DraftKings in 2022, the company’s CEO, Jason Robins, predicted further growth for the company in 2023 and beyond. In a letter to DraftKings’ shareholders, the CEO and co-founder acknowledged that the company enjoyed a stellar 2022. He pointed out that for the fiscal year 2022, DraftKings’ revenue hit $2.2 billion. This result represented a significant 73% year-over-year increase.
- Legal Sports Report: Gambling Lobby Engages Rep. Tonko On Bill To Ban Sports Betting Ads
- The American gambling industry’s main trade lobby reached out recently to US Rep. Paul Tonko over his proposal to ban most sports betting ads nationwide, executives said Wednesday. Tonko’s proposal (H.R. 967), was introduced Feb. 9. It would treat sports betting ads like cigarette ads, and ban them from TV, radio and the internet.
- SBC Americas: Anaxi widens content appeal with BetMGM partnership
- Aristocrat’s online real money gaming platform Anaxi has signed a strategic deal with BetMGM, taking its gaming content live on the operator’s online casino. Under the terms of the deal, BetMGM will distribute Anaxi’s real money gaming content on its online casino app in its live jurisdictions. It marks Anaxi’s US igaming debut with BetMGM the first operator to partner with the Aristocrat brand.
- PlayUSA: Lawmaker Expects Georgia Sports Betting Bill To Pass House Without Constitutional Amendment
- The Georgia House will pass sports betting legislation within two weeks, a Georgia lawmaker tells PlayUSA. Rep. Ron Stephens, who has championed sports betting efforts in the Georgia legislature for several years, is confident that the Georgia House will soon pass betting legislation for the first time.
- Legal Sports Report: Online MA Sports Betting Launch Date Will Not Include Fanatics
- Fanatics Sportsbook will not start at launch in the Commonwealth, under the proposed start date for online MA sports betting. “We are not launching on Mar 10 in MA,” a spokesperson for Fanatics Sportsbook told LSR via email.
- PlayNJ: NJ Sportsbooks Report $109M In Super Bowl Bets, $12.8M In Revenue
- Preliminary Super Bowl 57 numbers are in from the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement, with the state’s sportsbooks recording more than $109 million in legal bets. While total bets dropped nearly 24% from last year’s record handle of $143.7 million, their 11.7% hold more than made up for it, bringing a new record $12.8 million win from the game. Sportsbooks reported a 5.4% hold last year, good for $7.8 million in revenue.
- PlayOhio: BetPARX Sportsbook Launches Ohio Sports Betting App
- BetPARX Sportsbook has launched its online sports betting app in Ohio. BetPARX is the sports betting sponsor of the Memorial Tournament, a PGA Tour event held each year at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio, near Columbus. The Memorial Tournament returns this year the week of May 29.
- PlayTexas: Fertitta Has A Billion Reasons To Support Legal Sports Betting In Texas
- Texas billionaire and Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta is the latest to express his support for proposed sports betting legislation. The first bills to legalize online sports wagering were recently filed at the Texas Capitol. Of course, Fertitta’s support of legal sports betting in Texas shouldn’t come as a surprise. Fertitta struck a massive deal with DraftKings two years ago, and he’s donated more than a million dollars to Texas political leaders.
- Sports Handle: Virginia Bills To Reinstate Promotional Tax Deductions For Betting Operators Tabled In Committee
- A pair of Virginia bills backed by major sports betting operators were tabled in the House Appropriations Committee this month. SB 1142, which was tabled Monday, would allow sportsbook operators that have operated in the state for more than 12 months to exclude promotions from taxable revenue, up to 1.75% of their monthly handle.