Industry News of the Day for February 9, 2023
- CDC Gaming Reports: MGM’s CEO: “We’re The Best Balanced And Prepared For Growth”
- At the end of Wednesday’s investors call on MGM Resorts’ fourth-quarter and full-year-2022 operating results, CEO and President Bill Hornbuckle closed with a mild boast. “I would say, without any disparaging comments to our competitors, that as we think about the balance of our regional locations, Las Vegas, international, and digital, we’re the most well-balanced and prepared for growth.”
- SBC Americas: SportsGrid Expands FAST US Reach With Amazon Freevee Agreement
- SportsGrid has penned a global distribution agreement with Amazon to launch its FAST channel on the Amazon Freevee service. Offering 24-hour streaming to serve the global sports betting audiences with exclusive programming, SportsGrid will join over 200 other linear channels on Freevee which is available to Amazon customers globally.
- iGB North America: Wynn Resorts Hopeful Of Digital Profit By Late 2023
- Wynn Resorts said that its digital business could post a profit by late 2023 after losses for the division were significantly reduced year-on-year during its 2022 financial year. Launched in 2013, the Wynn Interactive division has a presence in a number of states across the US, but remains loss-making, with figures for 2022 showing the division posted an adjusted property loss before interest, tax, depreciation, amortization, depreciation and rental costs (EBITDAR) of $98.5m.
- PlayIllinois: New Internet Gaming Act Would Legalize Online Casinos In Illinois
- Illinois online casinos could be coming to the Prairie state if a new bill sponsored by State Sen. Cristina Castro is passed. On Wednesday, Castro filed The Internet Gaming Act SB1656 with the Illinois General Assembly. A synopsis of the bill says, in part that it: “Authorizes an Internet gaming operator to offer Internet gaming in accordance with the provisions of the Act.”
- PlayAZ: Placing A Super Bowl Bet? Watch Out For Scammers, AZ AG Says
- With Super Bowl LVII less than a week away, Arizona’s attorney general wants to make sure prospective bettors use legal sportsbooks. Attorney General Kris Mayes wants residents to be on the lookout for scammers and other illegal betting options. “While many Arizonans participate in legal sports betting, it is important to remember there are scammers out there trying to intercept your money and your personal information.”
- PlayMA: March 10 Floated as Potential MA Online Sports Betting Launch Date
- Online sports betting in Massachusetts could launch on March 10 at 10 a.m. That’s according to Karen Wells, the Executive Director of the Massachusetts Gaming Commission, who floated that potential launch date during Thursday’s MGC public meeting. “That’s what we’re looking at,” Wells said.
- Legal Sports Report: MA Sports Betting Board Preps To Deal With Compliance Issues
- State regulators could require a private meeting to discuss a compliance issue with two casinos regarding the approved MA sports betting catalog. Thursday’s Massachusetts Gaming Commission meeting itinerary notes that there will be a Massachusetts sports betting update regarding Plainridge Park Casino and Encore Boston Harbor’s compliance.
- PlayUSA: Missouri Sports Betting Gets Wide Support In House Committee Hearing
- The House Emerging Issues Committee heard HB 556 and HB 581. The bills, respectively from Reps. Dan Houx and Phil Christofanelli, are identical. Bill language is similar to Missouri sports betting legislation overwhelmingly passed by the House last session. For that reason, stakeholders didn’t feel the need to make much of a pitch for passage. However, representatives of sports teams, casinos and the business community made their support known.
- Legal Sports Report: Promising North Carolina Sports Betting Effort Quietly Shifts Course
- Efforts to support legalized mobile sports betting in North Carolina likely will be more robust in 2023 after falling short last year. While lawmakers have yet to introduce mobile NC sports betting legislation, proponents and industry sources are optimistic a 2023 effort will be successful.