Industry News of the Day for January 10, 2020
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Legal Sports Report, 1.9.20 – BetMGM Coming To Nevada Sports Betting Market Through MGM, GVC Relaunch
- MGM is planning to relaunch its Nevada sports betting app under the BetMGM brand and on new technology ahead of March Madness.
- US Bets, 1.10.20 – Sports Betting Market Looks Rosier Than A Year Ago, Analysts Keep Increasing Projections
- An Associated Press story widely circulated in the wake of last year’s Super Bowl and March Madness carried pessimistic headlines like the following: “Most states’ sports betting revenue misses estimates.” Don’t expect to see any such story this April.
- Betting News, 1.9.20 – 2020 Sports Betting: Early Movement On The East Coast
- Many states are scrambling to pass sports betting laws, and Maine and Vermont seem to be leading the pack in the early stages of the 2020 legislative session.
- Online Poker Report, 1.9.20 – CSIG Files Amicus Brief Arguing Semantics In New Hampshire Wire Act Case
- As everyone waits with bated breath for the New Hampshire Lottery and Neopollard to respond to the Department of Justice’s arguments in the Wire Act case, the Coalition to Stop Internet Gambling (CSIG) has filed a new amicus brief with the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Play NJ, 1.9.20 – New Jersey Gaming News: Looking Into The Crystal Ball And The NFL Divisional Playoffs Are Here
- Last year, the biggest Atlantic City casino stories involved revenue, mergers or market saturation. This year will be no different. And, as it happens, the biggest story of the year will include all three.
- Sports Handle, 1.9.20 – California Lawmakers All Ears At 2020’s First Sports Betting Hearing
- Wide. Mobile. Those are the only three words that everyone testifying at Wednesday’s California Joint Committee on Governmental Organization informational hearing on legal sports wagering could agree on.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.9.20 – How Much Would Tribes Contribute To State From CA Sports Betting Revenue?
- Ahead of the first substantive hearing to legalize California sports betting, the proposed initiative filed by the state’s leading Indian gaming tribes took its first small step toward the November ballot.
- Gambling Compliance, 1.10.20 – Georgia Legislators Pushing For Casino Referendum, Governor Still Opposed (subscription paywall)
- After a series of hearings last year, members of a Georgia House special committee tasked with finding methods of economic growth, as well as the speaker of Georgia’s House of Representatives, have said a constitutional amendment to allow casinos should be on the ballot for voters to decide.
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 1.9.20 – Let Georgians Vote On Gambling, Ralston Says
- House Speaker David Ralston says voters should decide whether to expand gambling in Georgia, a major topic for state lawmakers during this year’s legislative session.
- WGXA, 1.9.20 – Casinos, Sports Betting, Horse Racing Could Rake In Billions, If Georgia Lawmakers Approve
- It’s a constitutional amendment that if Georgia voters approve, could provide an estimated billion dollars in additional revenue for the state.
- US Bets, 1.9.20 – Kentucky Sports Betting Bills Filed, At Odds Over Betting On In-State College Teams
- On Wednesday, a pair of vastly different proposals to legalize and regulate sportsbooks were filed in the state of Kentucky, one in the Senate and one in the House.
- WYMT, 1.9.20 – House Committee To Consider A Sports Wagering Bill This Session
- A house committee will consider a sports wagering bill this session.
- Washington Business Journal, 1.10.20 – Intralot Sports Betting Contract Ruling Appealed
- The D.C. resident who sued the District over the implementation of its sports betting program has appealed the case to the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, according to WTOP.
- WTOP, 1.10.20 – DC-Based Developer Of Sports Betting App Hoping Appeals Court Takes Up Case
- He took the District to court challenging the way it awarded a lucrative mobile sports betting deal, but ultimately lost. Now Dylan Carragher, of D.C., is hoping for the D.C. Court of Appeals to take up the case.
- QNS, 1.9.20 – Queens Senator Believes Mobile Sports Betting And Full-Scale Casino Licenses Could Help Solve State Budget Deficit
- As he delivered his annual State of the State message, Governor Andrew Cuomo offered few specifics on how he would deal with the second largest budget deficit of his ten years in office. Meanwhile, State Senator Joseph Addabbo, the chairman of the Senate Standing Committee on Racing, Gaming and Wagering, has a way to raise significant state revenue and he will renew his push to pass his mobile sports betting legislation.
- US Bets, 1.9.20 – Delaware Doesn’t Offer Mobile Sports Betting (Yet) For A Specific Reason
- Delaware sports bettors at the state’s three racinos gambled a yearly-high $13.3 mm in December, but the state settled for a relatively-low “net proceeds” figure of $1.6 mm, per figures released by the Delaware Lottery on Tuesday.
- Lewiston Sun Journal, 1.10.20 – Clock Is Ticking On Bill That Legalizes Sports Betting In Maine
- Janet Mills has until midnight on Saturday to decide if she will sign the measure, veto it or allow it to become law without her signature. Mills held the bill last June after the Legislature adjourned leaving it in limbo until now.
- Gaming Intelligence, 1.10.20 – Online Continues To Drive Iowa Sports Betting Market In December
- Iowa’s 18 licensed sportsbooks collected total sports betting wagers of $59.3m during the month of December, of which $33.5m was generated online.
- iGaming Business, 1.10.20 – Iowa Posts Lowest Full-Month Sportsbook Revenue In December
- Iowa’s licensed sportsbooks took in a combined $2.9m in sports betting revenue, down 19.3% from November and the lowest for a full month since sports betting launched.
- Play Indiana, 1.9.20 – Indiana Betting Part Of Almost $16 Billion In Post-PASPA Wagers
- According to the American Gaming Association (AGA), November 2019 was the fourth-straight month with more than a billion in wagers for regulated US sports betting markets.
- Online Poker Report, 1.9.20 – Partypoker Launch In Nevada ‘Not A Priority’ Says Roar Digital Chief
- Don’t hold your breath for the debut of partypoker in Nevada. Despite speculation within the industry this week that a launch is imminent, poker is “not a short-term priority” according to Adam Greenblatt, the CEO of party’s US parent company Roar Digital.
Sports League News:
- Gambling Compliance, 1.10.20 – In-Stadium Betting A Winner For Fans And Teams, Says Leonsis (subscription paywall)
- Betting kiosks in sports stadiums are common in the UK and other countries but have yet to start appearing in the United States, something that is expected to change in 2020.
- Associated Press, 1.10.20 – After Super Bowl, Sports Books Preparing For XFL Bets
- While many sports fans are picking NFL playoff teams to bet on, or marshaling their cash for the Super Bowl, yet another opportunity to wager on football is right around the corner: the XFL.