Industry News of the Day for January 13, 2021
Overall Industry News:
- Legal Sports Report, 1.12.21 – FuboTV Aims To Launch Sportsbook In 2021 After Vigtory Acquisition
- FuboTV has acquired US sportsbook firm Vigtory as the sports streaming service looks to build out its sports betting capabilities.
Sports League News:
- Forbes, 1.12.21 – Sports Gambling Partnerships Offer MLB New Revenue Streams, But There Are Still Hurdles To Consider
- In the wake of massive financial losses incurred during a pandemic-shortened 2020 baseball season, Major League Baseball teams looking for any new revenue streams may soon follow the Washington Nationals’ and Chicago Cubs’ lead.
- SBC Americas, 1.12.21 – Detroit Red Wings And PointsBet Strike Multi-Year Fan Engagement Partnership
- Sportsbook operator PointsBet and the Detroit Red Wings have forged a strategic multi-year partnership designed to enhance fan engagement and game-day excitement for fans of the NHL team.
- iGB North America, 1.13.21 – New York Sports Betting Revenue Rockets In December
- The New York State Gaming Commission has reported a 210.6% year-on-year increase in gross sports betting revenue in December.
- Elite Sports NY, 1.13.21 – Mobile Betting App ‘Jackpocket’ Launches In New York
- Amid a push towards legal mobile sports betting in New York, you can now download New York State Lottery tickets from your phone.
- Sports Handle, 1.12.21 – New Hampshire Bill Would Allow In-Play Wagering At Brick-And-Mortar Sportsbooks
- Lawmaker Tim Lang is taking advantage of a political shift to also lift the cap on the number of retail sportsbooks allowed.
- Berkshire Eagle, 1.12.21 – Dropped In Recent Bill, Legal Sports Betting Debate Likely In 2021, Lawmakers Say
- A Massachusetts proposal to legalize sports betting, which was left out of a recent bill, a should see a renewed push this year, state lawmakers say.
- iGB North America, 1.13.21 – Delaware iGaming Revenue More Than Doubles In 2020
- Delaware igaming revenue soared 133.3% year-on-year to $8.4m in 2020, thanks largely to an increase in play during novel coronavirus (Covid-19) lockdowns.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.12.21 – DC Sports Betting Could Become More Competitive With BetMGM Entry
- Competition in and around the Washington DC sports betting market could ramp up as BetMGM announced an access agreement.
- iGB North America, 1.12.21 – Kentucky To Reconsider Online Sports Betting In New Bill
- Kentucky Republican Representative Adam Koenig has again filed legislation to legalize online sports betting in the US state.
- PlayIndiana, 1.12.21 – Can Historical Horse Racing Spur Action On Kentucky Sports Betting Bill?
- If only one gaming bill passes in Kentucky this year, it will be legislation to protect historical horse racing (HHR).
- MLive, 1.12.21 – Michigan Online Gaming, Sports Betting On Verge Of Launch
- The wait for online casino gaming and sports betting in Michigan is almost over.
- Detroit Free Press, 1.12.21 – Internet Gambling, Sports Betting Launch In Michigan May Be Just Days Away
- Michigan regulators say they are just days away from giving launch authorization for legal online gambling and online sports betting.
- PlayMichigan, 1.12.21 – Final Week Pushes Michigan Sportsbooks Past $130M In Bets For 2020
- The Detroit casinos reopened for the final week of 2020, just in time to close out the first year of sports betting in Michigan.
- Inside Indiana Business, 1.13.21 – Online Casino Bill Introduced, Sportsbook Hits Record
- Indiana’s sports gaming industry hit a new high as it closed out 2020, but it is also beginning 2021 with a new bill to expand the industry in the Hoosier state.
- The Action Network, 1.12.21 – Indiana Crosses $1 Billion In Yearly Sports Betting Handle
- The Indiana Gaming Commission published its December wagering numbers on Tuesday morning. The state pulled in $313.1 million in bets to push its 2020 handle to $1.23 billion.
- SBC Americas, 1.13.21 – Indiana Sportsbooks Close 2020 With $313M In December Wages
- Indiana was the fifth US state to surpass $300m in bets in a month in December, ending 2020 with four consecutive record months, more than $1.75bn in bets, and passing $2bn in lifetime wagers, according to analysts from PlayIndiana.
- PlayIA, 1.12.21 – So Far, South Dakota Sportsbooks Would Pose Little Threat To Iowa Operators
- With the legalization of sports betting in South Dakota, some sportsbooks in NW Iowa may be worried about losing out-of-state clientele when it launches. However, if the latest proposal for regulating SD sports betting becomes law, they can put those worries to bed.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.12.21 – Texas Might Actually Mess With Legal Sports Betting In 2021
- Online sports betting legislation might be on the table in Texas this year and professional sports teams could be the gatekeepers to the sector.
- Sports Handle, 1.12.21 – Changes Afoot For Oregon Sports Betting? Sports Betting Bill Filed In Oregon Names Racing Commission Regulator
- A bill that would make the Oregon Racing Commission the regulator and allow statewide mobile and retail sports betting was filed Monday.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.12.21 – Oregon Governor Ready To Ditch Lottery Sports Betting Model
- A new bill backed by Gov. Kate Brown would shift Oregon sports betting from a single state-sponsored app to a competitive marketplace.