Industry news of the day:
- iNTER GAME, 1.2.19 – Michigan online gambling bill dead
- Just a week after legislators in the US state of Michigan pushed through an online gambling bill in a late-night legislative session, the bill is dead.
- iGaming Business, 1.2.19 – Michigan governor vetoes betting and gaming bills
- Michigan’s outgoing governor has vetoed legislation that would have legalised sports betting and online gaming in the state.
- Daily Mail WV, 1.1.19 – Guest
editorial (Huntington): Neighbors want a piece of WV sports betting action
- State-sponsored gambling endeavors tend to resemble arms races. One side gets an advantage with a new weapon, but that advantage lasts only until a rival secures that same weapon.
- World Casino News, 12.31.18 – Rhode Island’s first week of sports betting sees $680k in wagers
- Sports betting began in Rhode Island in late November when the Twin River Casino began offering the wagering option. The Lincoln casino was able to see quite a few wagers placed during their first week of operations with reports showing close to $683k in sports bets were placed by visitors.
- Indy Star, 12.31.18 – Sports
gambling, moving casinos will make gaming big part of upcoming legislative
- The Indiana General Assembly’s upcoming session will involve gaming issues more than anytime in years, including bills on legal sports gambling.
- Associated Press, 1.1.19 – New Promise and
Old Problems due in 2019 for Atlantic City
- The new year holds promise and peril for Atlantic City, with new benefits facing off against old problems.
- Charlotte Observer, 1.1.19 – North
Carolina should embrace sports gambling, or get left behind
- Back in 2003 when I was an undergraduate at the University of North Carolina, online poker and online sports betting took the campus by storm.
- Newsmax, 12.31.18 – Keep
the Federal Government’s Hands off Online Gambling
- In a significant legislative step, the state of Michigan decided in December to legalize online gambling.
Sports league updates:
- Flush Draw, 12.31.18 – NBA
not Shying Away from Sports Betting
- While other professional sports leagues have been getting onboard, the NBA has been the one to really go all in and embrace gambling.
- SBC News, 1.2.19 – PokerStars
Strengthens Sponsorship Hand with UFC Partnership
- PokerStars became the UFC’s first-ever ‘Official Poker Partner’ at last weekend’s UFC 232 event, which took place at the The Forum in Inglewood, California.
Overall industry updates:
- Sports Handle, 12.31.18 – The Official U.S. Sports Betting Timeline of 2018
- Once the Supreme Court struck down the federal ban on full-fledged sports betting outside Nevada in a May ruling, there were bound to be a lot of firsts. Truly a watershed year for legal sports betting in the United States, 2018 brought quite a lot of milestones and surprises even prior to May 14.
- ESPN, 12.31.18 – Looking back at the biggest poker stories and moments of 2018
- With 2018 at its end, the poker world can look back at the last 12 months with a sense of optimism after an impressive year.