- Sports Handle: Can A Derivative Of Magic Mushrooms Help Cure Gambling Addiction?
- “Rat casino” is a perfectly respectable laboratory in the psychology department at Miami University in Ohio. The researchers there are working to develop a drug to treat gambling addiction. But how, exactly, do you get rats to simulate the behavior of a desperate gambler pushing the button over and over again on a slot machine?
- The Washington Post: This Site Bet Big On Political Gambling. Regulators Want It Shut Down.
- Politics junkies have made and lost millions placing bets with PredictIt. But soon all bets may be off. PredictIt has until February 15 to close all existing markets and shut down, putting an end to the legal availability in the US of bets on political events.
- Escondido Times-Advocate: Rincon Reclaims Power From State To Oversee Its Gaming
- The Rincon Band of Luiseno Indians, which owns Harrah’s Resort Southern California, has chosen to opt out of having the state of California oversee its gaming operations. Instead it will work directly with the National Indian Gaming Commission (NIGC). It becomes the first California gaming tribe to do so.
- PlayUSA: New Poll Shows Downtrend In Support For Georgia Sports Betting
- Support for Georgia sports betting might be fading. According to a new poll by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (AJC), although support for the expansion of gambling in Georgia remains, it’s slowly diminishing. The AJC’s poll included 860 registered Georgia voters. The University of Georgia’s School of Public and International Affairs conducted the poll between Jan. 9-20. The margin of error is 3.3 percentage points.
- US Bets: Illinois Casinos Post $114.4 Million In Revenue For December
- The Illinois Gaming Board (IGB) reported casino revenue totaling $114.4 million for the month of December, as the gaming discipline generated $290 million in state tax revenue for the 2022 calendar year. Overall, the state’s 11 venues generated $1.35 billion in operator revenue in 2022, an increase of 13.6% compared to the $1.19 billion generated in 2021.
- Legal Sports Report: MA Sports Betting Board Talks Underage Endorsement Deals With Unions
- The Massachusetts Gaming Commission adopted a regulation last week that professional athletes between the ages of 18 and 20 are allowed to participate in MA sports betting endorsement deals. On Monday, representatives from MLB and NBA Players Associations met with Massachusetts sports betting regulators. During a roundtable, the league players association reps agreed that the adopted regulation should remain in place.
- Gaming Today: Massachusetts Gaming Commission Approves Sports Betting Catalog, Players’ Association Raises Concerns
- The Massachusetts Gaming Commission has approved a sports wagering catalog, establishing what customers can and cannot bet on when retail sports betting launches on Jan. 31. Massachusetts mobile sports betting is expected to launch in early March. Commissioners voted Tuesday on an initial bet menu for next week’s launch. Massachusetts bettors will be able to wager on a wide range of sports and entertainment options.
- PlayTexas: Texas Legislation Ensures Kickapoo Tribe Get Seat At Gaming Table
- Sen. Roland Gutierrez (D-19) has filed a resolution (SJR-30) establishing a new compact with the Kickapoo Traditional Tribe of Texas that would allow them to partake in all Class III casino games legalized in the state. This legislation has been filed in nearly identical form in past legislative sessions to supplement casino legislation, like SJR-17, the resolution filed by Sen. Carol Alvarado in November that would legalize Texas casinos and retail sports betting.
- SBC Americas: Rivers Opens Virginia’s First Full-Service Casino In Portsmouth
- The first of four permanent casino facilities in Virginia opened its doors on Monday in Portsmouth. Rivers Portsmouth is the first full-service casino to open its doors in the Commonwealth, but it is not the first facility in the state to start accepting customers. Hard Rock’s temporary property, Bristol Casino, opened its doors last July within the Bristol Mall facility. The permanent casino broke ground in December and is scheduled to open in 2024.