iDEA Growth Member News:
- Time, 1.6.20 – New Jersey’s Train Stations Are Turning Into Gambling Hubs For New Yorkers (888, DraftKings)
- New Jersey has seen a surge in sports bets since the state convinced the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn a ban on such wagers last year. But rather than going to casinos or racetracks, gamblers are making more than 80% of their bets online, often using smartphones near train stations just outside New York City.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.7.20 – What Does The DraftKings Deal Mean For SBTech’s US Sports Betting Partners?
- DraftKings and SBTech finally announced their long-rumored tie-up just before Christmas, with the companies hailing the creation of a “vertically-integrated powerhouse.”
- Legal Sports Report, 1.6.20 – Here Comes The Michigan Sports Betting Deals: PointsBet, Stars Group Secure Market Access
- PointsBet and The Stars Group have become the first online operators to secure market access for betting and gaming in Michigan since the state passed a wide-ranging legalization package last month.
- Online Poker Report, 1.6.20 – The Stars Group Secures Michigan Online Gambling Partnership With Odawa Indians
- It was just over two weeks ago in Michigan that Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed the state’s online gambling bill into law. Today, The Stars Group (TSG) announced that it had secured a partnership with the Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians Gaming Authority (LTBBOIGA).
- Sports Handle, 1.7.20 – Michigan Sports Betting Scene Begins To Take Shape With FOX Bet, PointsBet
- The Michigan sports betting map began to populate on Monday following a pair of announcements about partnerships between sportsbook and online casino operators — and federally-recognized tribes operating gambling facilities in the state of Michigan.
- PlayUSA, 1.6.20 – PlayUSA Rewind: Sports Betting Had A Blockbuster 2019, Plus More States Unroll
- States have already made rapid movement toward legalizing sports betting. Or, in the case of one state, beat New Year’s Day altogether in launching a regulated industry.
Overall Industry News:
- The Information, 1.6.20 – Why 2020 Could Bring A Merger Wave To Online Sports
- This year is shaping up to be a big year for digital sports media companies such as The Athletic, Barstool Sports and Action Network.
- SBC Americas, 1.7.20 – Governor Janet Mills Urged To Make Sports Betting Legal In Maine
- Republican Scott Strom has added further weight to calls for the introduction of legal sports betting in the state of Maine, with a guest opinion piece in the Bangor Daily News this week ahead of the return of state legislature on January 8.
- Gambling Compliance, 1.7.20 – Michigan Market-Access Derby Underway (subscription paywall)
- On the heels of Michigan enacting sports-betting and online-gambling legislation last month, companies are beginning to snap up the available market-access opportunities created by the new laws.
- SBC Americas, 1.6.20 – PointsBet Seals Exclusive Tribal Sports Wagering Agreement In Michigan
- PointsBet Holdings subsidiary PointsBet Michigan has entered into an exclusive agreement with Lac Vieux Desert Public Enterprise and Finance Commission, an arm of the Lac Vieux Desert Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians.
- Lexington Herald-Leader, 1.6.20 – Five Things To Watch As Another Kentucky Legislative Session Begins In Frankfort
- When the Republican-led General Assembly convenes at noon Tuesday in Kentucky’s Capitol, they’ll have to work with Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear’s administration as they craft a new two-year budget and tackle other policy issues.
- Legal Sports Report, 1.6.20 – Will NH Sports Betting Play Chicken With Rhode Island On Boston Market?
- With New Hampshire sports betting now online through DraftKings Sportsbook, which New England state will best tap into the Massachusetts market?
- iGaming Business, 1.7.20 – Delaware Sports Betting Revenue Hits $12.5M In 2019
- Delaware’s sports betting market generated $12.5m in revenue in 2019, the first full year of regulated activity in the state.
Sports League News:
- Associated Press, 1.7.20 – Leagues Finally Cash In On Sports Betting By Selling Data
- Professional sports leagues struck out in their quest for a cut of sports betting money by claiming they needed payments to help protect the integrity of games.
- Law360, 1.6.20 – Student-Athlete Pay Could Prevent Match-Fixing (subscription paywall)
- On Sept. 30, 2019, California Gov. Gavin Newsome signed the Fair Pay to Play Act into law alongside National Basketball Association superstar LeBron James.