iDEA Growth Member News:
- PR Newswire, 7.22.20 – Former NFL Players To Receive Responsible Gambling And Sports Integrity Education (GVC)
- Problem gambling and off-field issues have plagued professional athletes across sports since their inception. Now, former NFL players will attend responsible gambling and sports integrity sessions presented by former athletes on an ongoing basis.
- Legal Sports Report, 7.23.20 – NFL Players Association Ups Responsible Gambling Efforts With New Education Program (GVC)
- The NFL Players Association (NFLPA) has launched a new program to teach former players about the dangers of gambling addiction. An NFLPA foundation has partnered with GVC Foundation US and EPIC Risk Management to run the program.
- Bloomberg, 7.23.20 – DraftKings Gets Back To Sports After A Run Of Oddball Bets
- As big-time sports fell one by one in March, DraftKings Inc. and Flutter Entertainment Plc’s FanDuel hatched crazy ways to entice America’s gamblers.
- Bloomberg, 7.23.20 – ‘Play Ball!’ Means Business For Eager Sports Betting Industry
- So far, sports betting in Colorado truly has been a “small ball” affair. That’s because table tennis captured the highest percentage of wagers in May, the first month of legal sports betting in the state.
- PlayUSA, 7.22.20 – Bettors Still Confused About Which Sportsbooks Are Legal, AGA Research Says
- Among the top reasons given to integrate state-sanctioned sports betting has been the desire to convert bettors using offshore and illegal sportsbooks.
Overall Industry News:
- Gambling Compliance, 7.23.20 – US Casino Compliance Adjusting To New Normal Of COVID Era (subscription paywall)
- As gaming companies assess the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on their business, compliance officers are identifying new trends in how customers interact with casinos and sportsbooks that can affect the risk of financial crimes.
- ESPN, 7.22.20 – Pittsburgh Athletic Director Heather Lyke Tells Senate That ACC Schools Unanimously Oppose Gambling On Collegiate Sports
- University of Pittsburgh athletic director Heather Lyke asked the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee to prohibit betting on collegiate sports during a hearing Wednesday in Washington, D.C.
- Sports Handle, 7.22.20 – NCAA Makes Case To Senators To Ban Betting on College Sports
- A prominent athletic director warned a U.S. Senate committee panel on collegiate sports Wednesday that failure of Congress to outlaw betting on NCAA events across the U.S. would have dire consequences on campuses.
- Gambling Compliance, 7.23.20 – Senate Judiciary Chairman Leaves Door Open For Sports-Betting Ban (subscription paywall)
- Republican Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, a long-time opponent of internet gambling, on Wednesday said Congress can pass new legislation to get around the U.S. Supreme Court decision which expanded legal sports betting.
- SBC Americas, 7.23.20 – AGA’s Bill Miller Testifies At Hearing On Integrity Of College Athletics
- American Gaming Association (AGA) President and CEO Bill Miller has testified at a hearing on “Protecting the Integrity of College Athletics” this week at the invitation of the US Senate Judiciary Committee.
- PlayPennsylvania, 7.22.20 – Pitt AD Pleads for Ban on College Sports Wagering at US Senate Hearing
- Heather Lyke, director of athletics at the University of Pittsburgh, testified before the US Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, telling them state-by-state legislation regarding sports wagering has led to unwieldy regulations without uniformity in the past two years.
- PlayNJ, 7.22.20 – Resorts President And CEO Believes Atlantic City’s Recovery ‘Will All Work Out’
- Resorts Casino in Atlantic City has experienced its share of ups and downs during the past 40 years. But nothing from its past, including Hurricane Sandy and a budget shutdown, come close to measuring up to the impact of the global pandemic.
- Online Poker Report, 7.22.20 – A Story Of Unparalleled Growth: Year One Of Online Gambling In Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania has just turned the page on a first year of legal online gambling that was, by most measures, a resounding success.
- Boston.Com, 7.22.20 – The Red Sox Say Legal Sports Betting Could Help Massachusetts Recover From The Pandemic. Charlie Baker Agrees
- Charlie Baker said he “absolutely” agrees that legalized sports betting in Massachusetts could generate revenue for the state government as it wrestles with the enormous costs of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Affiliate Insider, 7.23.20 – Could Sports Betting Be Coming To Massachusetts?
- Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker has said that sports betting revenue could help the state to recover from the financial impact of COVID-19.
- MetroNews, 7.22.20 – Lottery Commission Learns iGaming Off To Productive Start In Mountain State
- The first five days of iGaming in West Virginia resulted in nearly $7.9 million wagered.
- Gambling Compliance, 7.23.20 – Michigan Releases Regulations For Online Gambling (subscription paywall)
- The Michigan Gaming Control Board (MGCB) has published formal draft regulations for internet gaming and sports betting, as it targets a launch of online gambling before the end of the year.
- PlayMichigan, 7.22.20 – Two Detroit Casinos Eye Possible Aug. 1 Reopening Date
- Based on their upcoming plans, two of Detroit’s casinos are looking optimistically at gambling returning soon to the city.
- Sports Handle, 7.22.20 – Tennessee’s Sept. 1 Sports Betting Launch Date Likely Delayed
- It’s been more than a year since Tennessee lawmakers approved sports betting and Gov. Bill Lee let the bill become law without his signature. And the question that keeps popping up is when will the first bet be placed in the Volunteer State?
- Legal Sports Report, 7.23.20 – Colorado Sports Betting To Welcome US First-Timer PlayUp Sportsbook
- PlayUp sportsbook will make its US debut in Colorado with the hopes of launching for the NFL season, newly appointed US CEO Laila Mintas told LSR.
- PlayColorado, 7.22.20 – Wildwood Casino Launches Sports Betting App, Retail Sportsbook In Colorado
- Wildwood Casino knows how to make an entrance. The casino in Cripple Creek launched both its retail sportsbook and mobile sports betting app on Tuesday.