iDEA Growth in the News:
- Sports Handle, 7.29.20 – OTBs Poised To Become Critical To Illinois Sports Betting (iDEA Growth mentioned)
- In Illinois, horse racing events are currently taking place at racetracks — only without fans. And just last week, Gov. J.B. Pritzker did not renew an executive order that allowed consumers to register for Illinois online sportsbooks on mobile devices, from wherever they may reside or move about the state.
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Legal Sports Report, 7.30.20 – Unibet Enters Third State With Indiana Sports Betting Launch
- The Indiana sports betting market is expanding once again as the Unibet app launches today.
- PlayIndiana, 7.29.20 – Unibet Sportsbook Will Launch In Indiana On July 30
- The Hoosier State’s eighth online sportsbook will open its digital doors on July 30. Its arrival marks the first new Indiana sports betting app since Caesars Sportsbook launched back in May.
- Gambling Compliance, 7.30.20 – Michigan Tribes Turn To Online Gambling As DraftKings Expands Footprint Into Indian Country (subscription paywall)
- Facing a projected deadline of more than 34 percent this year in casino revenue because of the coronavirus pandemic, Indian gaming tribes are no longer shunning internet gambling but embracing it.
- PlayColorado, 7.29.20 – Fans Are ‘Eager For The Return’ Of Live Sports, Says DraftKings Survey
- DraftKings recently conducted a national survey on American sports fans and the new normal of sports.
- PlayUSA, 7.29.20 – PlayUSA Rewind: DraftKings Readies For Illinois Sports Betting Despite Hurdle
- The resumption of legalized sports betting has officially begun.
Overall Industry News:
- Gambling Compliance, 7.30.20 – US Lotteries Left Behind As Coronavirus Accelerates Online Shift (subscription paywall)
- The lottery model of selling scratch-off tickets at local retailers has generated billions of dollars for state coffers for more than a half-century, but lottery officials believe the coronavirus pandemic has accerated shifts toward online and cashless transactions.
- Legal Sports Report, 7.29.20 – It’s The Right Time To Repeal Federal Sports Betting Tax, Says Bill Sponsor
- Opposition to the federal sports betting excise tax is nothing new for Rep. Guy Reschenthaler. But now is finally the right time to end the levy that makes operators pay 0.25% of all handle to the US government, he said.
- iGB North America, 7.30.20 – MA Senate Remove Betting From Economic Development Bill
- Massachusetts’ Senate has removed language to regulate sports betting from an economic development omnibus bill, potentially dashing hopes for legalization in 2020.
- Sports Handle, 7.29.20 – Massachusetts House Approves Sports Betting Bill, Senate Set To Take Up Issue
- Legal sports betting has been a hot topic in the Massachusetts House this week, and after lawmakers spent two days debating 499 proposed amendments, it passed as part of a wide-reaching economic development bill, 156-3, late Tuesday night.
- Legal Sports Report, 7.29.20 – More Licenses Added As MA Sports Betting Bill Clears House
- A jobs package that would also legalize Massachusetts sports betting in MA was approved late Tuesday by the House and now goes to the Senate.
- PlayNJ, 7.30.20 – GameCo Gets OK To Put Its Skill-Based Games Into The Hands Of NJ Online Casinos
- It seems that in the Garden State, new online casino game providers are continuously popping up. That could be the case once again as the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement just licensed another, GameCo.
- Buffalo News, 7.29.20 – Online Sports Betting Industry Sees Potential Opening In New York
- Proponents of legalizing mobile wagering on sports contests in New York say this is their time to get the matter settled after years of efforts.
- PlayWV, 7.29.20 – On The Board At WV Sportsbooks: They’re Back! MLB, NBA, And NHL All Return
- Another welcome back party awaits West Virginia sports betting fans, enlarging the weekly gambling menu.
- Online Poker Report, 7.30.20 – BetAmerica Bringing Online Casino And Sportsbook To Michigan Via Island
- BetAmerica is the latest online gambling operator to stake out its turf in Michigan.
- iGB North America, 7.30.20 – CDI Seals Deal To Launch BetAmerica In Michigan
- Churchill Downs Incorporated (CDI) is set to launch its BetAmerica brand in the state of Michigan, after agreeing a new partnership with the Hannahville Indian Community.
- PlayMichigan, 7.29.20 – Detroit Casinos Will Open Aug. 5 Under Whitmer’s Order
- Detroit’s three commercial casinos are about to get the go-ahead to re-open.
- iGB North America, 7.30.20 – Michigan Governor Permits Casinos To Reopen From August 5
- Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmar has announced that indoor venues in the state will be permitted to reopen from tomorrow (July 31), with casinos cleared to recommence operations from August 5.
- iGB North America, 7.30.20 – SportCaller To Launch In Colorado With Betfred
- Free-to-play games provider SportCaller is to roll out its offering in Colorado after entering into a new partnership with Betfred USA Sports.
- Denver Business Journal, 7.29.20 – How Is Colorado Sports Betting Faring? Analysts, Sportsbooks Weigh In (subscription paywall)
- “It would not surprise me in five years to see Colorado be an epicenter for the sports-betting industry.”
- KRDO, 7.29.20 – Sports Betting In Colorado Providing Financial Relief For Cripple Creek Casinos
- In the second legalized month of sports betting, the Colorado Department of Revenue reports strong numbers for wagers and taxes collected, demonstrating a promising landscape for the industry in Colorado.
- ESPN, 7.29.20 – Nevada Sportsbooks Have Net Loss, Breaking 83-Month Winning Streak
- Nevada sportsbooks’ 83-month winning streak is over.
- Legal Sports Report, 7.29.20 – Nevada Sports Betting Crash Shows Pitfalls Of In-Person Registration Rule
- Since Nevada requires in-person registration, most potential bettors couldn’t create a new account with casinos shuttered.
- PlayNevada, 7.29.20 – NV June Gaming Revenue Sees First Losing Month For Sportsbooks Since 2013
- While casinos were closed, there were only four Nevada sportsbook apps and one poker website generating gaming revenue for the state. However, casinos have reopened and are beginning to generate revenue again.