Industry News of the Day for June 18, 2020
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Legal Sports Report, 6.17.20 – Football Is Coming: FanDuel Grabs NFL Official League Data From Sportradar
- FanDuel is continuing its preparations for football season by signing up for Sportradar’s NFL official league data feed.
- PlayUSA, 6.17.20 – PlayUSA Rewind: A Roller Coaster Week For California Sports Betting
- The NBA is finalizing plans to resume play in Orlando, Florida, at the end of July. The PGA Tour returned in thrilling fashion. Casinos continue to reopen nationwide.
- US Bets, 6.17.20 – Panel Bullish On Sports Betting, Eyes Rise Of Mobile Casino Gaming
- A panel of industry experts all expressed optimism regarding the future of sports betting in the United States on Tuesday while also pointing out the benefits of tying it to mobile casino gaming.
- US Bets, 6.17.20 – In The Sports Betting Void, Golf’s Appeal Is Rising
- Veteran oddsmaker Johnny Avello was among an unusually large group of U.S. bettors with a rooting interest Sunday in the final round of the Charles Schwab Challenge.
Overall Industry News:
- Online Poker Report, 6.17.20 – Scientific Games, Inspired Entertainment Form A Dynamic Virtual Sports Duo
- Scientific Games (SG) announced this week that it has struck a deal with Inspired Entertainment to provide virtual sports products through its OpenMarket aggregation platform.
- Chicago Sun-Times, 6.17.20 – Indiana, Wisconsin Open Betting With Masks, Hand Sanitizer – While Illinois Studies Its Cards
- Masks and hand sanitizer are the name of the game at the Horseshoe Casino in Hammond, Indiana.
- Gaming Intelligence, 6.18.20 – BetMakers To Raise $35M To Fund US Sports Betting Expansion (subscription paywall)
- Sydney-listed sportsbook supplier BetMakers Technology Group has received commitments to raise AUD$35m through a new placement of its shares, with proceeds to be used to fund its expansion in the US sports betting market.
- Online Poker Report, 6.18.20 – Wire Act Arguments On The Docket Today In First Circuit Court Of Appeals
- The United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit will finally hear arguments today on the scope of the federal Wire Act.
- US Bets, 6.17.20 – NH Lottery, Interstate Poker Compacts Get Reprieve From Controversial DOJ Opinion
- A decision on whether to maintain a controversial reversal by the U.S. Department of Justice of an interpretation of the Wire Act of 1961 may be determined by a new presidential administration.
Sports League News:
- Forbes, 6.18.20 – FanDuel And Denver Broncos Make NFL History As First “Official Team Sportsbook” Partnership Formed
- Despite years of vocal opposition to the practice of sports betting, the NFL took another giant step towards acceptance when it was announced Monday that the FanDuel Group has officially become the first sports betting partner of an NFL team following a multiyear agreement with the Denver Broncos.
- Legal Sports Report, 6.18.20 – No End To California Sports Betting Suspense As Hearing Delayed
- Alfred Hitchcock might be considered the master of suspense, but the California Senate Appropriations Committee is moving into contention.
- Sports Handle, 6.17.20 – California Tribal Leaders Support Sports Betting – On Their Own Terms
- Tribal leaders from across California came together in a webinar Wednesday and left no question that they will fight a legislative proposal to legalize sports betting, saying that lawmakers are being opportunistic and don’t have the tribes’ best interests at heart.
- Gambling Compliance, 6.18.20 – California Tribes Pledge To Defeat ‘Non-Started’ Sports-Betting Bill (subscription paywall)
- Several tribal leaders expressed concerns on Wednesday that legalizing mobile sports betting in California would negatively affect the state’s tribal casino industry, as they pledged to defeat a bill in the state legislature.
- Yahoo!, 6.17.20 – What Sports Betting Could Look Like In California If Legalized In Fall
- California’s push to legalize sports gambling has faced pushback from local tribal leaders who claim the legalization of online sports gambling ultimately would negatively impact their business.
- CBS Sacramento, 6.17.20 – Cal Expo Seeks Legalized Sports Wagering To Help With Money Trouble
- The money-troubled Cal Expo Fairgrounds wants to offer legalized sports betting to help save it from financial collapse.
- PlayPennsylvania, 6.17.20 – PA Gaming Review: May Brings Slight Revenue Rebound, Barstool Effect Strengthens
- The past week in Pennsylvania gaming news marks a progression in the return to normalcy.
- JD Supra, 6.17.20 – Revolutionary New Casino And Sports Betting Laws Create Prime Opportunities For Virginia Gaming Industry
- Virginia’s casino and sports betting laws create fertile ground for casinos and sports betting operators alike, providing licenses for up to five casino operators and permits for at least four and as many as 12 non-casino online sports betting operators.
- SBC Americas, 6.18.20 – Senator Coley Calls For Lottery Action As Ohio Suffers Budget Cuts
- Ohio Senator Bill Coley has called for the lottery sector to take additional action in order to generate funds as decisions are yet to be finalized regarding the regulation of sports gambling in the state.
- PlayColorado, 6.17.20 – Gaming Enthusiasm Soars As Cripple Creek Casinos Reopen
- For the first time in three months, the doors at Cripple Creek casinos are open and the slot machines are back to life.
- iGB North America, 6.18.20 – Roar Digital To Enter Oregon Through Tribal Partnership
- Roar Digital, the joint venture between MGM Resorts International and GVC Holdings, has entered into a sports betting partnership with the Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde in Oregon.