- Online Poker Report, 3.12.19 – Amid Sports Betting Offensive, Online Gambling Expansion Flies Under The Radar
- With everyone’s attention gravitating towards the trendy topic of sports betting, online gambling legislation is making significant progress in several states.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.11.19 – Sports Betting Legislative Lasso: Meet Me In The Midwest
- In this weekly piece, we try to cover the recent, relevant movement in states considering legal sports betting.
- Baltimore Post-Examiner, 3.11.19 – Three big states might not legalize sports betting anytime soon
- After the US Supreme Court let the sports betting dogs out of the cage in May of last year, a number of the nation’s most progressive gambling states immediately jumped at the opportunity to allow its citizens the ability to bet on sports legally.
- Online Poker Report, 3.11.19 – Reintroduced Michigan Online Gambling Bill Up For First Hearing Tuesday
- As January turned into February and gave way to March, folks in Michigan wondered when they would see the return of the online gambling bill from Rep. Brandt Iden.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.11.19 – Iden Readies Michigan Sports Betting Bill For Drop, But Not Quite Yet
- Conspicuously missing from the package of gambling-related bills introduced by Rep. Brandt Iden last week was one for Michigan sports betting.
- Play WV, 3.11.19 – Oh So Close: Wv Online Casinos Are Just One Step Away From Reality
- Legalized online gambling in West Virginia is a step closer to becoming a reality after the WV Senate gave its approval on Friday in a 26-7 vote. The legislation went back to the House of Delegates for concurrence and final approval which it received on Saturday, the last day of the session.
- iGaming Business, 3.11.19 – West Virginia igaming bill heads to Governor
- West Virginia is just one step away from becoming the fifth state to legalize online gambling, with a bill currently awaiting Governor Jim Justice’s signature.
- WTRF, 3.11.19 – Sports betting still on hold at Wheeling Island
- Sports betting remains suspended at two West Virginia casinos. Wheeling Island and Mardi Gras Casino, both operated by Delaware North, are under suspension of on-site and online betting operations.
- US Bets, 3.11.19 – Kentucky Sports Betting Efforts Fail To Cross Finish Line In 2019, Sponsor Says
- Despite momentum early in 2019, Kentucky’s sports betting hopes for this year have run out of steam. With the session slated to expire at the end of March and only a few session days left, there isn’t enough time left for the measure to pass the House and then also make its way through the state Senate.
- WSHU, 3.11.19 – Gets Closer To Legalized Sports Betting
- Connecticut is set to legalize sports betting if legislators can reach an agreement with the state’s Native American casinos.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.12.19 – The First Arkansas Sportsbook Is ‘Coming Soon’ To West Memphis
- How close is Arkansas sports betting to reality? It depends on how one of the state’s racetrack casinos defines “soon.”
- Sports Handle, 3.11.19 – Pair of Kansas Bills Would Legalize Mobile Through Lottery, Racetracks
- A new pair of Kansas sports betting bills, one each in the Senate and the House, would legalize sports betting via the lottery and at state racetracks both in-person and via mobile/internet. The bills were introduced into the House on Wednesday and the Senate on Thursday, and are sponsored by the Committee on Federal and State Affairs.
- US Bets, 3.11.19 – Santa Fe-Based Casino Opens Sportsbook, Second In New Mexico
- Less than six months after launching sportsbook operations at a resort near Albuquerque, the Santa Ana Star Casino & Hotel has its first competitor in New Mexico.
- Play Pennsylvania, 3.11.19 – Judge Tells Pa Thanks But No Thanks In DOJ Wire Act Case
- A judge has denied a request by Pennsylvania to become a co-plaintiff in a case challenging the latest Wire Act opinion. That does not mean the Keystone State is completely out of the fight though.
Sports League News:
- Sports Handle, 3.12.19 – Here’s How Much ‘Official’ League Data Actually Costs
- This is Part I of a three-part series on prevailing trends regarding sports betting data in the global marketplace. For bettors who backed the New York Mets in a pitchers duel between Jacob deGrom and Cole Hamels, a wager on the road underdogs seemed worth the risk.
- ESPN, 3.11.19 – NCAA pivots to address sports betting integrity
- After decades of public resistance to legalized sports betting — including six years as the lead plaintiff in the lawsuit against New Jersey that eventually made its way to the Supreme Court — the NCAA is moving to address sports betting integrity in new ways.
Overall Industry News:
- Legal Sports Report, 3.12.19 – Renewed Hope For Legal Canada Sports Betting Springs Up In Ontario
- Our neighbors to the north could look to join the United States by bringing legal sports betting to Canada.
- Los Angeles Times, 3.11.19 – ESPN launches ‘Daily Wager’ as sports betting goes showtime
- A decade ago, ESPN gambling analyst Doug Kezirian was toiling in Las Vegas as the host of a local radio show that specialized in sports wagering. A good friend in the city who was a pro sports bettor told him his information was so good, he should be reaching a wider audience on a TV show.