iDEA Growth Member News:
- My Legal Bookie, 3.17.20 – Sports Betting And The Law : Subscribe (Ifrah Law)
- My Legal Bookie is a must-read publication for news, case summaries, articles, and strategies concerning sports betting, gaming and the law. Our goal is not just to inform, but to help share solutions with industry participants, including: leagues, teams, facilities, sponsors, event promoters. My Legal Bookie is available free of charge to members of the sports industry.
- US Bets, 3.17.20 – Sports Betting Legislation Across The Country Also Likely Coming To Standstill
- It is worth mentioning on US Bets that the crisis almost certainly freezes most if not all legislative work on gambling expansion that had recently enthused many in the sports betting industry.
- Associated Press, 3.17.20 – Shut-Out By Virus, Gamblers Turning To Online Betting
- Some gamblers who suddenly can’t go to a casino to play slot machines, cards or roulette are migrating to internet casinos as the coronavirus shuts down most things involving large gatherings.
- Sports Handle, 3.17.20 – What You Can Still Bet On And Where Amid Global Coronavirus Pandemic
- Following the shutdown of American major league professional sports and college sports, as well as the temporary shuttering of physical sportsbooks across the U.S. and the world, legal sports betting is getting a new look.
- Gambling Compliance, 3.18.20 – Analysis: Online Betting’s Exposure To Coronavirus-Hit Sports (subscription paywall)
- As coronavirus cancellations leave sporting calendars increasingly bare, Gambling Compliance provides an overview of the relative importance of the most important sports within select online betting markets.
- PlayUSA, 3.17.20 – PlayUSA Rewind: Sports Betting World Turned Upside Down By Coronavirus
- The virus known as COVID-19 continues to wreak havoc on our country and the world.
Sports League News:
- US Bets, 3.18.20 – NBA Has Alternatives On The Table To Salvage Season
- Just a few years ago, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver would have been in an even more tenuous position due to the coronavirus outbreak than he is today.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.17.20 – Hold Your Horses: Kentucky Derby Postponed Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- The latest victim of the coronavirus’ global sports shutdown is the 146th running of the Kentucky Derby, which is postponed until Sept. 5.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.17.20 – Maryland Sports Betting Bill Racing The Clock After House Passage
- A bill to help legalize Maryland sports betting must get Senate approval by tomorrow after receiving a fast-pass through the House on Tuesday.
- Baltimore Sun, 3.17.20 – Sports Betting Bill Moves Forward In Maryland Legislature’s Final Hours; ‘Disparity Study’ Added
- A stripped-down version of a bill to let voters decide on legalizing sports betting is moving through the General Assembly in the final hours of the legislature’s abbreviated session.
- Gambling Compliance, 3.18.20 – Stripped-Down Sports-Betting Bill Clears Maryland House In Final Days (subscription paywall)
- With the regular legislative session set to come to an accelerated end on Wednesday, the Maryland House of Representatives passed legislation Tuesday night that would allow voters to permit sports betting at the polls this November.
- NJ Online Gambling, 3.17.20 – February 2020 Revenue Figures Mark The End Of Atlantic City’s Winning Run
- Atlantic City casinos had a blockbuster February, seemingly setting the stage for a March Madness boost and then their six-month “high season” through September.
- The Meadville Tribune, 3.17.20 – Coronavirus Response Hurting State’s New Sports Wagering Industry
- On the FanDuel sports betting app on Monday, the top suggestion for possible wagers was a soccer game in Turkey. Other suggestions included Russian hockey and rugby in New Zealand.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.17.20 – Expedited State Budget Not Good For Mobile NY Sports Betting Hopes
- Chances for mobile NY sports betting making the New York state budget seem slim after the state opted Monday to bypass budgets from each individual chamber and accelerate the final budget as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.17.20 – DC Sports Betting App Launching During A Month With No Sports
- Legal Washington DC sports betting will still launch by the end of this month despite very few available sports.
- PlayIA, 3.17.20 – Casinos Closed In Iowa At Least Through The End Of March
- Unlike several other states, the Hawkeye State took a slower, more reactive approach to the coronavirus pandemic. Some businesses in the state, excluding Iowa casinos, remain open.
- Des Moines Register, 3.17.20 – The Next Steps For Iowa Casinos Ordered Closed As Part Of The Governor’s Coronavirus Response
- Iowa’s casinos and gaming facilities are closed for at least two weeks as part of Gov. Kim Reynolds’ declaration of a state of public health disaster emergency in response to combating the novel coronavirus pandemic.
- Legal Sports Report, 3.17.20 – Nevada Sports Betting Apps Might Dodge Governor’s Coronavirus Shutdown Order
- Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak ordered a complete shutdown of Las Vegas Strip casinos for 30 days beginning Wednesday.
- Gambling Compliance, 3.18.20 – Lights Out In Las Vegas Over Coronavirus Outbreak (subscription paywall)
- Every gaming device in the state of Nevada must have been turned off by midnight on Tuesday, as Governor Steve Sisolak announced a 30-day state-wide closure of non-essential businesses.
- Capitol Weekly, 3.17.20 – Capitol Weekly Podcast: Richard Schuetz On Sports Betting
- Richard Schuetz splits his time between Pennsylvania and Florida and works around the globe as a consultant on gaming. He joined John Howard and Tim Foster to chat about the impact of the pandemic on the gaming industry, the competing sports-betting proposals currently in play in California and more.