Industry News of the Day for May 20, 2022
iDEA Growth Member News
- Legal Sports Report, 5.18.22 – DraftKings CEO Jason Robins On Stock: ‘I’d Be Buying If I Could’
- DraftKings CEO Jason Robins would be buying more $DKNG stock if he could despite its recent slide.
- Play USA, 5.18.22 – 2022 Gubernatorial Races & Gambling: Two Northeastern Elections With Implications For The Future
- In all but 14 states this November, voters will select their next governor. The winners of those 2022 gubernatorial elections will have a role in determining public policy in those states on a wide array of issues. In some states, that’s likely to include gambling.
Illinois & New York
- Online Poker Report, 18.22 – Chicago And New York City Retail Casino Projects May Facilitate Online Gambling Expansion
- All states which currently have legal iGaming also have well-established retail casino backbones. To that end, Chicago and Downstate New York are strengthening their spines, perhaps suggesting that legal online casino gambling won’t be far behind. At the moment, Illinois seems to be the closer of the two to doing so.
- Play Michigan, 5.19.22 – Schools, First Responders Among Beneficiaries Of Michigan Online Gambling Tax Revenue
- Record revenue numbers for Michigan’s online casinos and sportsbooks are helping more than just gaming operators. Michigan’s schools and first responders also reap the rewards of the state’s booming gaming industry. Online gambling has generated more than $300 million in tax revenue for the state since it went live in January of 2021. That money goes to a variety of funds, with a large chunk of it earmarked for the state’s School Aid Fund.
- Legal Sports Report, 5.19.22 – Three Issues MA Sports Betting Conference Must Settle
- The Massachusetts Senate appointed its conference committee members that will negotiate MA sports betting with the House. The appointment of Sens. Eric Lesser, Patrick O’Connor and Michael Rodrigues came Thursday after the Senate insisted on changes it made to H 3993. On Tuesday, the House chose not to concur with the changes made to the bill it passed to legalize Massachusetts sportsbooks last July.
Sports League News
- Sports Handle, 5.19.22 – Significant Obstacles Remain For Minnesota Sports Betting Bill
- A Minnesota sports betting bill moved through the Senate Finance Committee on Thursday, but while the bill technically advanced, significant obstacles remain for the state legislature to legalize statewide wagering.
- Star Tribune, 5.20.22 – Minnesota Legislators try a hail Mary on sports betting
- With four days left in the legislation session, multiple tax and spending measures remain at a standstill.
- Duluth News Tribune, 5.20.22 – Minnesota Legislature begins final push on legal sports betting, but deadline nears
- The senate finance committee on May 19 advanced a betting bill toward a vote of the full Senate, but with a key disagreement with the House on which groups should be able to run mobile and in-person sports betting in MN.