iDEA Growth in the News:
- Hannah Capital Connection, 5.8.19 – Online Gambling Group Aims to Ease Wire Act Concerns in Meetings with Ohio Officials (iDEA Growth mentioned in article)
- Lawmakers should expressly allow online and mobile options as part of any bill legalizing sports gambling in Ohio, according to a leading Internet gambling trade group based in Washington D.C. Speaking with Hannah News ahead of planned meetings with members of the General Assembly, the governor’s office and the Ohio Casino Control Commission this week, iDEA Growth founder Jeff Ifrah said a mobile provision is an important part of any effective legislation allowing legal sports gambling.
- ESPN, 5.6.19 – State-By-State Sports Betting Bill Tracker
- After New Jersey’s Supreme Court victory last year, any state that wishes can legalize sports betting. At the same time various state lawmakers are considering sports betting legislation, Congress is too. Senators Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and now-retired Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, co-introduced comprehensive sports betting legislation at the end of 2018. On Sept. 27, 2018 the House Judiciary Committee held a formal hearing on the topic.
- Press of Atlantic City, 5.8.19 – NJ Attorney General Sues DOJ Over Casino Owner’s Link To Wire Act Opinion
- The state Attorney General has filed a lawsuit against the federal justice department for not providing answers about a Las Vegas casino magnate’s influence over a legal decision that could impact New Jersey’s online gaming industry.
- Online Poker Report, 5.7.19 – WSOP: NJ Online Poker Players Can Compete For Bracelets Despite Wire Act Worries
- Despite the looming threat of the Department of Justice’s enforcement of the Wire Act, NJ online poker players will still get the opportunity to compete in some of World Series of Poker online bracelet events.
- Legal Sports Report, 5.7.19 – Paddy Power Betfair Report Shows How FanDuel Sportsbook Is Winning In NJ
- The strength of FanDuel Sportsbook in the NJ sports betting market is underscored in a Q1 trading update issued by parent company Paddy Power Betfair (PPB). Results for the first three months of 2019 showed total sports wagering stakes amounted to $598 million, which generated $33 million of gross revenue. This was more than double the revenue the sports betting brand achieved in Q4 2018.
- Online Poker Report, 5.7.19 – Turf War: Why The Michigan Lottery Wants Casinos To Stay Out Of The Online Gambling Business
- The Michigan House Ways and Means Committee recently held a hearing to discuss several gaming expansions under consideration by the legislature, including online gambling. Michigan is the leading candidate to pass online gambling legislation in 2019, and the hearing was believed to be nothing more than the next step in that process. And that’s how it started.
- Legal Sports Report, 5.7.19 – Man The Wall: Michigan Sports Betting Legislation Is Coming (Again)
- Promises of a Michigan sports betting bill have carried on about as long as warnings that winter is coming. Now that winter has come in Game of Thrones, sports betting legislation may finally be on the way to the Water Winter Wonderland.
- Sports Handle, 5.7.19 – Maine Lawmakers Move 1 Of 7 Sports Betting Bills Forward
- Maine lawmakers introduced seven sports betting bills this session, and on Monday, whittled that number down to one, a shell bill that reportedly will include bits of the others bill and will likely include some form of mobile sports betting.
- Crain’s Chicago Business, 5.7.19 – Pritzker’s Sports-Betting Plan Sparks Industry War Over Who Wins
- J.B. Pritzker’s proposal to legalize sports betting in Illinois has sparked an all-out lobbying war over who will be the big winner—not only between proponents and opponents of the bill, but within the gambling industry itself.
Sports League News:
- Forbes, 5.7.19 – MLB’s Gamble On Integrity Fees And Its Official Data Stream Getting Pushback From Gaming Operators
- As legalized sports wagering becomes more prevalent outside of Nevada and New Jersey, there’s a thorny issue of how data that sports leagues see as proprietary gets used. Licensing official data feeds is becoming a flash point with the established gaming industry, and such is the case with the NBA and MLB.
- PA Online Casinos, 5.7.19 – NASCAR Hopes In-House Product Will Capitalize On Online Betting Popularity
- Last week NASCAR announced a collaboration with Genius Sports to provide a live data system to licensed sportsbooks. This is the first step towards launching an advanced in-race live betting product. The end product will be a real-time gaming platform with live NASCAR odds plus other wagers and props.
Overall Industry News:
- Play USA, 5.7.19 – New Wave Of Sports Betting Shows Proves It’s No Longer Taboo With Broadcasters
- Jon Anik always wondered why the sports world was so hesitant to acknowledge the obvious: Sports fans bet on sports. The current UFC commentator certainly does. He’s placed bets since he was an 18-year-old freshman at Gettysburg College in Pennsylvania.