Industry News of the Day for May 9, 2022
iDEA Growth Member News:
- Yahoo!, 5.9.22: Paysafe and Playtech Form Global Payments Partnership
- Playtech and Paysafe extend collaboration in the UK and Europe following success across multiple US states
- SBC Americas, 5.6.22: DraftKings records ‘significant growth’ in Q1 with ‘efficient’ acquisition
- DraftKings Co-Founder and CEO Jason Robins has praised the company’s operational performance in Q1, which was headlined by efficient acquisition and retention following its launch in both New York and Louisiana.
- Legal Sports Report, 5.8.22: Opinion: Would Federal Offshore Sportsbook Crackdown Really Help?
- In a letter dated April 13, American Gaming Association (AGA) CEO and President Bill Miller sent a letter to U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland asking the Department of Justice (DOJ) to focus its attention on illegal gaming including offshore sportsbook activity taking place “across our great nation.”
- The Atlantic, 5.8.22: Opinion: The Sports Betting Boom Is a Moral Disaster
- Ostensibly disinterested prophets of harm reduction are lending approbation to the behaviors they see themselves as regretfully tolerating.
- Online Poker Report, 5.9.22: US Regulators Bring Down The Hammer On Crypto Casinos
- Earlier last month, state securities regulators in Alabama and Texas issued cease-and-desist orders against a Cyprus-based company that’s been hawking non-fungible tokens (NFTs). It was doing so to operate crypto casinos in the metaverse. The enforcement actions are both the first of their kind and likely not the last.
- Sports Handle, 5.9.22: What’s On Tap: NFL Schedule Release, NBA Playoffs, And iGaming Conference In NYC
- Bucks, Suns look to return to NBA conference finals; NFL teams await Thursday’s schedule release
- New Canaan Register, 5.8.22: It will take time to create Maine sports betting regulations
- Maine is joining a group of more than 30 states that allow sports betting, but the first legal wagers may not happen until 2024.
- WDRB, 5.8.22: Kentucky lawmaker still hopeful for expansion of all sports betting at Churchill Downs
- Fans flocked to Churchill Downs for the internationally known Kentucky Derby and it’s the only event sport fans can legally bet on in the state.
- iGaming Business, 5.8.22: Kansas sports betting bill presented to governor
- A bill that would authorise sports betting, as well as historical horse racing machines, in Kansas has been sent to the state governor for approval.4
- Legal Sports Report, 5.6.22: When Will MN Sports Betting Bill Get House Vote?
- Zack Stephenson‘s legislation to legalize MN sports betting took a roundabout trip to the House floor but is on its way.
- Sports Handle, 5.6.22: Springtime Swoon Hits Iowa As Sports Betting Handle Slips To $177 Million
- DraftKings keeps handle crown for second straight month, holding off Caesars and FanDuel
- Sports Handle, 5.6.22: Colorado Problem Gaming Bill Passes Senate With Changes That Draw Criticism
- Funding bill needs House approval of Senate amendments to reach governor’s desk
- Sports Handle, 5.6.22: Virginia sportsbooks benefit from March Madness as handle sees monthly uptick
- Sportsbook in Virginia experienced a hike in monthly sports betting handle in March, largely thanks to the March Madness NCAA men’s college basketball tournament.