Industry News of the Day for October 15, 2019
iDEA Growth Member News:
- CNBC, 10.15.19 – Oregon Lottery To Launch Sports Betting App Scoreboard With An Expected $300 Million In Wagers [SBTech]
- The new Scoreboard app is the first betting service in Oregon since 2007. State lottery officials project $300 million in wagers the first year.
- Online Poker Report, 10.11.19 – Which Site Will Be First To Offer Online Poker In Pennsylvania, And When? [The Stars Group]
- As we approach the three-month mark for legal online gambling in Pennsylvania, poker players in the state are still twiddling their thumbs and wondering when it will be their turn to play.
- Legal Sports Report, 10.11.19 – Daily Fantasy Sports Fans Will Soon Have Their Day In Iowa
- The day is coming for regulated daily fantasy sports to make its long-anticipated debut in Iowa. Brian Ohorilko, administrator of the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission, tells Legal Sports Report there’s a good possibility that DraftKings and FanDuel get authorization to offer regulated DFS next week.
- Gambling Compliance, 10.15.19 – Legislative Fears, Operator Reluctance Behind Slow U.S. Online Casino Growth [subscription paywall]
- Although sports-betting legislation has developed quickly throughout the United States and revenues in New Jersey have demonstrated the strong crossover potential between online sports betting and online casino gaming, the latter has not caught on at nearly the same pace.
- Sports Handle, 10.11.19 – Get A Grip: The Week In Sports Betting: Washington, Betting Bans, More
- Here’s the weekend Sports Handle item, “Get a Grip,” recapping the week’s top stories and rounding up key stories in sports betting, gaming, and the world of sports at large.
- Legal Sports Report, 10.14.19 – Last Week In Sports Betting News: The Fix Is In, At Least For Lawmakers Working On Bills
- Hello ladies and gents, and happy Monday once again. We’ll try to keep it tight this week so we can all go about our business.
- Legal Sports Report, 10.14.19 – PropSwap Hopes To Find Niche In US Sports Betting With Help From BetX
- Early Monday morning, PropSwap unveiled a fresh new look powered by a four-year partnership with BetX. The old logo is gone, and so is the old website.
- The Philadelphia Inquirer, 10.12.19 – At Two Philadelphia Universities, You Can Bet On Sports, But Not On The Home Team
- Some sports fans tell pollsters they bet on games as a way of showing support for their favorite teams. But in the new world of legalized sports betting, two Philadelphia universities have drawn a line and adopted policies banning all students, faculty, and staff from wagering on any events in which the university’s teams are participating.
- Penn Bets, 10.11.19 – Good Luck Enforcing Your Sports Betting Bans, Pennsylvania Colleges
- In New Jersey, the legislators who crafted the sports betting laws tackled the theoretical issue of local college athletics being corrupted by legal wagering.
- Sports Handle, 10.11.19 – Georgia’s Got Sports Betting On Its Mind
- If recent media reports are any indication, sports betting seems to be very much at the front of the minds of Georgians.
- 13 WMAZ, 10.14.19 – Sports Betting Could Be Legalized In Georgia During The Next General Assembly Session
- In 2020 Georgia’s General Assembly may take up the question of whether to legalize sports betting.
- Legal Sports Report, 10.14.19 – Can Purdue Really Ban Students And Faculty From Sports Betting?
- Purdue University’s Board of Trustees adopted a new sports wagering policy last week that applies to faculty, staff, and non-student athletes. The legality of that policy at a public institution remains an open question.
- Indianapolis Star, 10.11.19 – Indiana Sportsbooks Accepted $35.2M In Bets During First Month Of Legal Sports Gambling, Data Shows
- Sportsbooks at casinos and off-track betting locations in Indiana took in more than $35.2 million in sports wagers during the first month of legal sports betting in the state, new data released by the Indiana Gaming Commission shows.
- Sports Handle, 10.15.19 – Kentucky Aiming For Legal Sports Betting (Again), Fixed-Rate Betting On Horse Races
- What if you could bet on horse racing the same way you bet on an NFL game in the United States? That’s a proposition a Kentucky thoroughbred-racing think tank wants Bluegrass State lawmakers to consider.
- The Gazette, 10.14.19 – Football Helps Iowa Sports Betting Go Long
- Data from the state Racing and Gaming Commission indicates Iowans placed $47.1 million in bets during the first six weeks since the state authorized it. Of that total, $21.6 million in bets were made through casinos and $25.46 million were made online.
- Denver Post, 10.12.19 – Colorado Prop DD: Voter’s Guide To Sports Betting Ballot Question
- Sports betting isn’t legal in the Centennial State, but it could be by next year’s CU Buffs season opener if voters approve a statewide ballot question this November.
- Gambling Compliance, 10.15.19 – As Washington Debates Sports Betting, Tribes Remain Cautious [subscription paywall]
- Chris Stearns, a commissioner with the Washington State Gambling Commission (WSGC), expects the state legislature to discuss several sports-betting measures when it reconvenes early next year, but passage of any bill is still a long shot.
- The News Tribune, 10.11.19 – Major League Baseball Wants Cut Of The Action If Washington Legalizes Sports Gambling
- If Washington state approves a massive expansion of legal sports gambling, Major League Baseball wants a slice of the money so it can “protect the integrity of the game” from potential scandals.
- Washington State Wire, 10.14.19 – MLB And State Gambling Commission Meet For Sports Betting Talks
- The Washington State Gambling Commission and legal representatives from Major League Baseball (MLB) and the Seattle Mariners met recently to discuss sports betting in Washington State.
- Gambling Compliance, 10.14.19 – Massachusetts Researchers Taking Long View With Problem Gambling Research [subscription paywall]
- An unprecedented, multimillion-dollar research project in Massachusetts on the impact of legalized gambling is already yielding results that could significantly alter the understanding of key issues in the field, including compulsive betting, proponents say.
- Play USA, 10.11.19 – Play USA’s On The Record: Top Louisiana Regulator On Sports Betting, Football, And New Orleans
- What better way to dive into things like the 2019 NFL season, sports betting — the hottest vice in the US — and New Orleans culture, then having a conversation with someone who has called Louisiana home for the better part of four decades.
Sports League News:
- US Bets, 10.11.19 – UFC To Get A Cut Of Sports Betting Win With New In-Fight Data Product
- The UFC is going all in on sports gambling. On Thursday, it was announced that the MMA promotion is launching a new in-house product called UFC Event Centre, which is in tandem with IMG Arena.