LEAD1 Virtual Forum:
Next Tuesday, the LEAD1 virtual forum titled, “A Whole New Ballgame: Implications of Legalized Sports Betting for College Athletics,” will debate the surrounding issues with respect to legalized sports gambling including the current legislative landscape, ancillary regulatory issues, mobile betting, sports betting partnerships on campuses, the evolution of professional sports leagues on the issue, the impact of COVID-19, and more. Join us, October 27th!
iDEA Growth Member News:
- PlayUSA, 10.21.20 – Geofencing Crucial In Complicated DC Sports Betting Market (GeoComply)
- In DC – more than any of the other states and jurisdictions where sports betting is legal and underway – where you are when attempting to bet matters. And the borders of the District are just part of it.
- SBC Americas, 10.22.20 – GVC Holdings Boosts Board With Two New Director Appointments
- GVC Holdings PLC has confirmed the appointment of two new Directors to its Board.
- Legal Sports Report, 10.21.20 – Is WSOP Coming To Pennsylvania, Or Were Promotional Emails A False Alarm? (888)
- At the moment, poker players in the Keystone State have only a single option for online play. That could be about to change, but the situation is anything but clear.
- PlayWV, 10.21.20 – DraftKings Casino Grows Its Game Library As NetEnt Deal Expands To West Virginia
- There is more good news for bettors living in the Mountain State. DraftKings Casino is set to receive a massive boost with its game offerings thanks to an expansion of its partnership with the provider NetEnt.
Overall Industry News:
- iGB North America, 10.22.20 – Mainstream Media’s Big Bet
- Recent months have seen a wave of media outlets pairing up with betting operators, as the US becomes more familiar and comfortable with legal wagering, and the bookies look to tap into potentially lucrative acquisition channels.
- Legal Sports Report, 10.21.20 – The Hurdles In Front Of William Hill Acquisition By Caesars
- Caesars bid to acquire William Hill was announced last month to much fanfare, but there’s some evidence Hill shareholders might not accept the offer.
- Gambling Compliance, 10.22.20 – IRS Says Daily Fantasy Sports Dues Count As Gambling Expenses (subscription paywall)
- A U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) memorandum published last week confirmed that the fees players pay to participate in daily fantasy sports (DFS) contests are gambling expenses, akin to wagers on horse races or poker.
- Associated Press, 10.21.20 – NJ Eyes Betting On College Playoff Games Here And Elsewhere
- A New Jersey lawmaker wants to allow betting on college playoff or championship games, and hopes to ask voters to amend the state Constitution next year to permit it.
- The Philadelphia Inquirer, 10.21.20 – New Jersey Senator Proposes Bill To Allow In-State Betting On College Sports Ban
- Paul Sarlo wants to permit wagering on college tournament games played in Jersey. Critics want the in-state ban erased completely, which would allow for wagering on Rutgers football.
- NJ Online Gambling, 10.21.20 – Betting On NJ College Teams In NJ? They’re Working On It – With Limitations
- New Jersey has been a pioneer in the expansion of legal, regulated sports betting beyond Nevada, highlighted by victory in a six-year battle in federal court that culminated with a May 2018 U.S. Supreme Court ruling.
- Online Poker Report, 10.21.20 – Shuffle Up: Evolution’s Long-Awaited Pennsylvania Live Dealer Studio Opens At Last
- This week, Pennsylvania became the second US state to offer legal live dealer online casino gaming.
- PlayPennsylvania, 10.21.20 – October Surprise: Live Dealer Arrives at Pennsylvania Online Casinos
- Evolution Gaming is holding a two-day soft launch for online live dealer games. Two iGaming operators will be the first to have live dealer.
- PlayVirginia, 10.21.20 – Can A Small Business Like Handle19 Break Into Sports Betting?
- Shane August, a former Norfolk State University quarterback who now runs Handle19, hopes to emerge as the sports betting kingpin of the DMV.
- KPLC, 10.21.20 – Sports Betting On Nov. 3 Ballot
- On the Nov. 3 ballot is a parish-by-parish referendum whether to allow sports wagering. Local business leaders have endorsed it in Calcasieu Parish.
- KSLA, 10.22.20 – Louisiana Voters To Decide On Permitting Sports Betting
- Before Louisiana residents cast their ballots in the General Election — voters will decide whether or not to legalize sports betting in their parish.
- PlayMichigan, 10.21.20 – Why A MI Online Casino Game Supplier’s Interim License Is A Positive Sign
- As Michigan inches toward the launch of online casinos later this year, there will be a slow drip of licenses handed out by the Michigan Gaming Control Board.
- The Action Network, 10.21.20 – South Dakota Sports Betting Measure 2020 Voter Guide
- Sports betting could become legal in South Dakota if voters approve a constitutional amendment this fall.
- Colorado Public Radio, 10.22.20 – Colorado Casinos Are Betting Big On Higher Limits And New Games With Amendment 77
- Casinos are wagering an amendment to the state’s constitution will help lure the high rollers that typically leave Colorado to gamble.
- Legal Sports Report, 10.22.20 – No Legislation, No Problem? Tribe Launching Wyoming Sports Betting
- It might not be through traditional channels, but it appears Wyoming will eventually have sports betting.